The program will start July 9, 2024 and PENA will provide relocation to Reno, NV.
Panasonic Energy of North America (PENA) is seeking ambitious engineers to lead the world’s largest lithium ion battery initiative. With superior battery designs and the fastest manufacturing lines in the world, Panasonic is producing millions of batteries per day at the Gigafactory to support Tesla’s electric vehicle and energy storage businesses. Panasonic invites you to join us in this ongoing full-scale effort to electrify our society. At PENA, engineers quickly become experts in the fundamentals of lithium-ion cell technology and work to integrate that understanding with high speed, automated manufacturing methods to produce the highest performance and highest quality lithium ion batteries.
Within the “program”, engineers will receive experience and train within Cell & Process Engineering, Controls Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering, Quality, and Program Management.
- Bachelors degree in Engineering or similar discipline within the past 18 months of program start date
- Must be able to commit to entire 24-month program based at the Gigafactory in Reno, NV
- Works with other engineers to assist in engineer support related to daily production activities.
- Works to optimize OEE (Overall Equipment Efficiency) to increase productivity and reduce defect and loss
- Utilizes OEE and other tools effectively manage tasks and activities
- Designs new pieces of machinery and modify existing equipment designs to improve process safety from a man, material, and machine standpoint.
- Learns and demonstrates solid troubleshooting skills and ability to solve unknown problems
- Troubleshoots real time production problems to maintain production and reduce defects
- Analyzes operating procedures and functions of equipment and machinery to reduce time and loss of manufacturing processes
- Works with other departments to execute projects to reduce safety incidents
- Interfaces with battery and equipment development teams to develop, qualify and launch new production lines and new battery models
- Creates supporting design documentation such as FMEA’s, DRBFM’s, PID’s, PFD’s, PCN’s and associated design iteration presentations
- Works closely with other team members to understand failure modes and improve battery performance and life expectance
- Other duties may be assigned
Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) Requirements:
- To ensure the health and safety in the workplace and for the protection of our employees, wearing PPE is a possibility and may include equipment such as a full Tyvek suit, safety shoes, gloves, safety glasses, face mask, bump cap, and a full hazmat suit that includes a respirator.
The foregoing description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills and efforts or work conditions associated with the job. It is intended to be an accurate reflection of the general nature and level of the job.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering or similar discipline within the past 18 months of program start date
- Must be able to commit to the entire 24-month program based at the Gigafactory in Reno, NV
- Evidence of exceptional ability. Panasonic follows a culture of full-cycle engineering where members will have full responsibility and accountability for their projects from start to finish. We are looking for the best of the best
- Background working in a high-volume manufacturing environment preferred
- Understanding of electrical hardware, drawings, sequence control and software design
- Ability to cooperate and work with related departments including overseas
- Should be flexible with the working environment and be able to perform job duties between manufacturing floor and office/desk
- Must be able to learn and perform machine and process troubleshooting and apply root cause analysis
- Knowledge or experience with 3D CAD, mechanical drawings, MPO, P&ID’s
- Design of figures, jigs, brackets, etc
- Flexibility to solve issues with first principles thinking
- Strong computer skills with Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Experience with control strategy, PLC, and sensor/actuator relationships is a plus
- Previous experience with industrial data analysis or Manufacturing Execution System (MES) desired
- Experience in a high-volume manufacturing environment (1M+ units per day) such as batteries or electronic devices
- Experience working in machine shops and fabricating machine parts
- Experience coordinating and collaboration with contractors
- Familiar with six sigma methodologies and tools
Physical Activities: (Percentage of time (equaling 100%) during the normal workday the employee is required to)
- Sit: 20%
- Walk: 50%
- Stand: 20%
- Lift: 10%
Required Lifting and Carrying: (Required frequency is: Not required (0%), Occasional (1-33%), Frequent (34-66%, Continuous (67-100%)
- Up to 10 lbs.: Frequent
- Up to 20 lbs.: Frequent
- Up to 35 lbs.: Frequent
- Team-lift only (over 35 lbs.): Frequent
Panasonic Energy of North America (PENA) is collaborating with Tesla at a massive battery factory near Reno, Nevada which is known for its quality of life and expansive outdoor adventures. Panasonic's role at the Gigafactory is to manufacture and supply cylindrical lithium-ion cells to Tesla for their electric vehicles and energy storage systems.
Over the past few years, the Gigafactory has grown to the largest lithium-ion battery factory in the world. Together with our partner Tesla, we continue to revolutionize the lithium-ion battery space and accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable energy and transportation.
Our mission at PENA is to make the vision of affordable Electric Vehicles a reality by producing the world’s safest, high quality, and lowest cost batteries. Through this effort we will create a clean energy society and our products will change society’s use of and perceptions of electric power.
In addition to an environment that is as innovative as our products, we offer competitive salaries and benefits.
Pre-employment drug testing is required. Due to the high volume of responses, we will only be able to respond to candidates of interest. All candidates must have valid authorization to work in the U.S. without restriction.
Panasonic is an Equal Opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by law. All qualified individuals are required to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation.
Thank you for your interest in Panasonic Energy of North America.