Sr. Materials Engineer
The Sr Materials Engineer is responsible for designs, development and modification of processes and methods for the manufacture, molding, and utilization of materials in the production of hardware, electronic components and/or structures. The Sr. Materials Engineer will collaborate broadly within Panasonic to analyze materials and material components, to establish operating data, conduct experimental tests and evaluate results with the overall goal to improve PENA’s products and processes.
- Promote collaboration with suppliers in North America to accelerate multi-sourcing and localization. The collaboration includes coordinating technical meeting, creating and summarizing feedback to suppliers, preparing meeting materials, leading the meeting, explaining the feedback, requesting improvement, deciding the specification and analytical method, making a development plan, handling samples, all of which are under alignment with related technical sections.
- Serve as Panasonic Energy's overall technical point of contact or point of contact support for suppliers in North America.
- Establish the evaluation system for electrode and paste materials and electrochemical performance, and then create standard operating procedures and further apply to actual development. This includes but not limited to
Electrode and paste materials: Physical and chemical properties in the delivery specification etc. Electrochemical performance: Making electrode, assemble coin cells and Charge/discharge test
- Adhere to three basic business behaviors, provide reports, keep the lines of communication open, and ask for guidance or advice to your supervisor. Also keep same relationship with your team members.
- Collaborate with all related Panasonic technical departments and utilize their knowledge to maximize development efficiency.
- Proceed the developments under consideration of not only performance but also customer requests, procurement, quality, productivity, and Intellectual property.
- Understand the purpose, advantage/disadvantage, and timeline of the project.
- Support all corporate EH&S, Governance and Quality initiatives.
- Utilize knowledge of Panasonic’s manufacturing process to support improvements of supplied components and continue to learn related technologies
- Other duties may be assigned
Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) Requirements:
- To ensure the health and safety in the workplace and for the protection of our employees, wearing PPE is a requirement for some roles at PENA and may include equipment such as a full Tyvek suit, safety shoes, gloves, safety glasses, face mask, bump cap, and a full hazmat suit that includes a respirator.
The foregoing description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills and efforts or work conditions associated with the job. It is intended to be an accurate reflection of the general nature and level of the job.
Qualifications: Requirements - Required and/or Preferred
- Education – Bachelor's from four-year college or university in Electrochemical Engineering, Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Materials Science and Engineering, or similar discipline. Preferred: Master’s Degree and/or Ph.D in Electrochemical Engineering, Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Materials Science and Engineering, or similar discipline.
- 8 years in a high-volume manufacturing environment. Battery manufacturing environment would advantageous
- Strong background in high-volume manufacturing is strongly desired
- Able to work independently and in a team environment, as well as with cross-functional groups
- Expert fundamental understanding of analytical methodologies key to specific role within the remit of the Materials Engineering Team.
- Knowledge of commonly used materials in battery manufacturing and the analytical techniques associated with qualification and testing of those materials.
- Ability to use statistical analysis to derive conclusions and provide direction in investigations, new parts integration, defect reduction, and productivity improvements
- Experience using Design of Experiments concepts to develop better assembly conditions and part applications
- Strong driving force of development, and logical explanations for progress based on actual data.
- Materials development in a battery manufacture through collaboration with material suppliers, and/or material development in materials suppliers through collaboration with customers
- Mass production installation of the material that is with new design or from new supplier
- Able to propose a material specification requirement to the supplier, or create it with suppliers
- Ability to use or understand chemical/physical analytical method and/or electrochemical measurement
- Ability to lead big projects with several related functional sections
- Familiarity with Six-Sigma and Lean Manufacturing principles.
- Ability to perform statistical analysis to improve the battery manufacturing process.
Physical Activities: (Percentage of time (equaling 100%) during the normal workday the employee is required to)
- Sit: 40%
- Walk: 30%
- Stand: 20%
- Lift: 10%
Required Lifting and Carrying: (Required frequency is: Not required (0%), Occasional (1-33%), Frequent (34-66%, Continuous (67-100%)
- Up to 10 lbs.: Occasional
- Up to 20 lbs.: Occasional
- Up to 35 lbs.: Occasional
- Team-lift only (over 35 lbs.): Not Required
Panasonic Energy of North America (PENA) is collaborating with Tesla at a massive battery factory near Reno, Nevada which is known for its quality of life and expansive outdoor adventures. Panasonic's role at the Gigafactory is to manufacture and supply cylindrical lithium-ion cells to Tesla for their electric vehicles and energy storage systems.
Over the past few years, the Gigafactory has grown to the largest lithium-ion battery factory in the world. Together with our partner Tesla, we continue to revolutionize the lithium-ion battery space and accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable energy and transportation.
Our mission at PENA is to make the vision of affordable Electric Vehicles a reality by producing the world’s safest, high quality, and lowest cost batteries. Through this effort we will create a clean energy society and our products will change society’s use of and perceptions of electric power.
In addition to an environment that is as innovative as our products, we offer competitive salaries and benefits.
Pre-employment drug testing is required. Due to the high volume of responses, we will only be able to respond to candidates of interest. All candidates must have valid authorization to work in the U.S. without restriction.
Panasonic is an Equal Opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by law. All qualified individuals are required to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation.
Thank you for your interest in Panasonic Energy of North America.