Supplier Quality Engineer
Panasonic Energy of North America (PENA) is collaborating with Tesla Motors, Inc. in a large-scale advanced battery manufacturing facility known as the Gigafactory near Reno, Nevada which is known for its quality of life and expansive outdoor adventures. Panasonic manufactures and supplies cylindrical lithium-ion cells for the world’s leading electric vehicle manufacturer, Tesla Motors, Inc. Based on the battery demand from Tesla, the Gigafactory plans to produce cells which will double the world’s current production.
Our mission at PENA is to make the vision of affordable Electric Vehicles a reality by production of the world’s safest, highest-quality, and lowest-cost batteries. Through this effort we will create a clean energy society and our products will change society’s use of and perceptions of electric power.
The Supplier Quality Engineer manages and implements quality control procedures for Li-ion battery manufacturing processes by performing following duties:
- Managing and coaching suppliers on quality performance of products
- Conducts management work on suppliers’ quality performance to maintain battery cell performance for safety and quality.
- Analyzes and evaluate suppliers’ inspection data (powder, metallic, liquid material etc.) and coaching suppliers’ quality team to improve their process through audit and quality review.
- Conducts management work on IQC including sample inspection by using chemical / physical analysis equipment to reduce variation of battery cell performance.
- Provides quality assurance support to cell manufacturing process by resolving quality issues related to purchased materials.
- Communicates and collaborates with Suppliers’ Quality teams in order to validate new materials and resolve any quality issue related to mass produced materials.
- Applies principles and knowledge of chemical engineering to solve environmental problems.
- Other duties may be assigned.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree (B. S. in Materials Science, Chemical Engineering, or closely related field) from four-year College or university.
- Experience including quality control of the battery or electronic devices, quality assurance work is desired.
- Management experience particularly required.
- Familiar with quality management tools (control chart, FTA, FMEA, etc.) and MS Office (Word, Excel and PowerPoint).
- Experience on laboratory analysis using X-Ray, SEM, ICP similar methods in lab is desired.
- Experience including ISO 9001 quality management system auditing is preferred.
Physical Demands i.e. lifting, standing etc. (If applicable):
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and talk or hear. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
Work Environment (noise, smell etc.):
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to moving mechanical parts and risk of electrical shock. The employee is occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles and toxic or caustic chemicals. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common scientific and technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents. Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community. Ability to write speeches and articles for publication that conform to prescribed style and format. Ability to effectively present information to top management, public groups, and/or boards of directors.
In addition to an environment that’s as innovative as our products, we offer competitive salaries and benefits. Panasonic is an Equal Opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to: race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
All qualified individuals are required to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation. Pre-employment drug testing is required.
Due to the high volume of responses, we will only be able to respond to candidates of interest. Panasonic Energy of North America will not sponsor applicants for work visas for this position. All candidates must have valid authorization to work in the U.S.
Thank you for your interest in Panasonic Energy Corporation of North America. #LI-AM1