Panasonic – Senior Counsel, Environmental Health, Safety and Construction
Every moment of every day, people all over the world turn to Panasonic to make their lives simpler, more enjoyable, more productive and more secure. Since our founding almost a century ago, we’ve been committed to improving peoples’ lives and making the world a better place–one customer, one business, one innovative leap at a time. Come join our journey.
What You’ll Get to Do:
This position will work closely with General Counsel, Tesla Energy Business Division and PENA to provide legal guidance and strategic solutions to support the Company and its business functions on a wide variety of legal issues and business initiatives. This position requires proactively and independently handling a full range of legal matters and projects, including those of substantial importance and complexity, with a primary focus on environmental and occupational health and safety (EH&S) issues and real estate construction matters.
- Provide specialized legal guidance, advice, and problem-solving to the Company in matters involving a broad range of environmental and occupational health and safety (EH&S) issues, including water quality, air quality, hazardous materials transportation and disposal, and workplace health and safety. This will involve direct contact and communication with internal stakeholders, including senior leadership, and cross-functional support groups.
- Manage and be responsible for legal actions, matters, and issues confronting the Company relating to EH&S concerns, including enforcement actions or investigations and proposed rulemakings or other governmental laws, regulations or directives.
- Assist in the development, management, and implementation of the Company’s ongoing EH&S strategies, policies, and guidelines, including internal audit and training programs.
- Maintain a current, in-depth knowledge of EH&S laws and regulations applicable to the Company’s operations and inform internal stakeholders of developments regarding such EH&S laws and regulations.
- Identify and anticipate potential legal issues in EH&S areas that may develop as a result of business operations or activities and take action/initiative to address such issues.
- Draft and negotiate construction and design contracts
- Manage all forms of project-related dispute, provide guidance to management, and coordinate with insurers and outside counsel
- Provide ongoing legal support for the facilities team in order to advise on complex construction and manufacturing operations
- Build and maintain a current, in-depth understanding regarding the Company’s business, and its functions and business units, and all related operations, facilities, processes, products, and business plans around the world in order to assist the Company in meeting its overall business goals and objectives in a legal, compliant, safe and responsible manner. Look for opportunities to assist in the achievement of such business goals and objectives.
- Assist and support others within the legal department and cross-functionally as needed by providing advice, training and/or guidance.
- This position will report to the General Counsel
What You’ll Bring:
Education and Experience:
- JD required, with current membership in at least one US state bar
- 7+ years of law firm or in-house experience in functional areas, in-house experience with demonstrated EH&S responsibilities strongly preferred
- Experience with construction contracts, including transactions, real estate, etc.
- Experience managing or supporting corporate compliance programs and policies is a plus
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate with multiple regional and international stakeholders and team members
- Ability to analyze complex legal issues and provide recommendations for well-reasoned, practical solutions and alternatives.
- Business-savvy attorney who can find solutions to complex challenges
- Ability to manage multiple, concurrent projects in a fast-paced environment
- Self-starter, able to work cross-functionally with a business partner mindset
- Strong organization and communication skills, both verbal and written
- Effective presentation skills
- Computer literacy
- Able to travel as required
What We Offer:
- Competitive compensation package
- Comprehensive benefits
- Pet Insurance
- Paid Parental Care Leave
- Employee Referral Program
- Educational Assistance
- Flexible Work Program
- Volunteer time Off
- Casual Dress Code
- Total Well Being Program
Panasonic is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by law or company policy. All qualified individuals are required to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation. Pre-employment drug testing is required for safety sensitive positions or as may otherwise be required by contract or law. Due to the high volume of responses, we will only be able to respond to candidates of interest. All candidates must have valid authorization to work in the U.S. Thank you for your interest in Panasonic Corporation of North America.