Process Development Supervisor (PENA)
Hardware & Process Engineering
The Process Development Supervisor develops new or modified process formulations, defines processing or handling equipment requirements and specifications, and reviews processing techniques and methods applied in the manufacture, fabrication, and evaluation of products. Furthermore, the Supervisor coordinates design requirement review with appropriate engineering/scientific personnel to ensure compatibility of processing methods. Compiles and evaluates test data to determine appropriate limits and variables for process or material specifications. Additionally, the Supervisor is responsible for leading a team of highly talented and motivated engineers to develop the next generation of lithium-ion batteries and manufacturing technology for Panasonic.
- Identification of key areas in the production process where loss can be reduced, and productivity improved via the introduction of machine automation, new equipment/processes, or equipment improvements
- Driving development of new equipment/processes/automation solutions from concept phase to final mass production implementation (full cycle)
- Prototyping solutions quickly in house and testing/providing proof of concept on both lab and mass production scales
- Collaborating and supporting other teams on solutions involving equipment improvement and machine automation
- Utilizing equipment and defect data to evaluate effectiveness of developed solutions
- Demonstrating solid troubleshooting skills and ability to quickly solve unknown problems
- Applying technical knowledge to develop clear and standard work instructions, SOP’s and troubleshooting guides
- Providing engineering support to production team for newly introduced technologies
- Leading by example with a strong work ethic and a “get the job done” approach
- Having excellent time and project management skills, including effectively allocating time and resources, clearly tracking project progress, and delivering accurate results by deadlines
- Developing effective short-term and long-term plans for the team to achieve business targets
- Utilizing OEE and defect data to effectively prioritize projects and activities
- Effectively communicating and working with management teams, team members, and related divisions (e.g. Production, Maintenance, Engineering, Quality Control)
- Executing high performance culture and servant leadership
Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) Requirements:
- To ensure the health and safety in the workplace and for the protection of our employees, wearing PPE is a possibility and may include equipment such as a full Tyvek suit, safety shoes, gloves, safety glasses, face mask, bump cap, and a full hazmat suit that includes a respirator.
The foregoing description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills and efforts or work conditions associated with the job. It is intended to be an accurate reflection of the general nature and level of the job.
Qualifications: Requirements - Required and/or Preferred
- Basic/Required: Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Materials Engineering, or related disciplines
- Preferred: None
- Minimum of 5+ years of engineering experience in manufacturing, automation, equipment development, or design
- Minimum of 3+ years of experience in Li-ion battery or Li-ion battery manufacturing
- Strong analytic and decision-making abilities. Able to influence others to move towards a common goal
- Self-motivation and resourcefulness
- Able to manage multiple concurrent tasks in a fast-paced environment, effectively prioritize work, and deliver quality results
- Intuitive, adaptable, creative, and collaborative with excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Must have working-level knowledge of the English language, including reading, writing, and speaking English
- Minimum of 3+ years of leadership experience preferred
- Previous experience with manufacturing equipment design and systems development.
- Experience in a high-volume manufacturing environment (1M+ units per day) such as batteries or electronic devices
- Proven record of leading full cycle engineering, from solution concept to final product
- Strong data analysis skills with tools such as JMP, Minitab, Python, or MATLAB are highly desired
- Alignment to Panasonic’s seven (7) core principles (contribution to society, fairness and honesty, cooperation and team spirit, untiring effort for improvement, courtesy and humility, adaptability, gratitude)
Physical Activities: (Percentage of time (equaling 100%) during the normal workday the employee is required to)
- Sit: 10%
- Walk: 30%
- Stand: 40%
- Lift: 20%
Tools and/or Equipment: (Required frequency is: Not required (0%), Occasional (1-33%), Frequent (34-66%, Continuous (67-100%)
- Keyboard/Computer: Continuous
- Office Equipment: Continuous
- Phone Continuous
Required Lifting and Carrying: (Required frequency is: Not required (0%), Occasional (1-33%), Frequent (34-66%, Continuous (67-100%)
- Up to 10 lbs.: Frequent
- Up to 20 lbs.: Frequent
- Up to 35 lbs.: Frequent
- Team-lift only (over 35 lbs.): Frequent
Panasonic Energy of North America (PENA) is collaborating with Tesla at a massive battery factory near Reno, Nevada which is known for its quality of life and expansive outdoor adventures. Panasonic's role at the Gigafactory is to manufacture and supply cylindrical lithium-ion cells to Tesla for their electric vehicles and energy storage systems.
Over the past few years, the Gigafactory has grown to the largest lithium-ion battery factory in the world. Together with our partner Tesla, we continue to revolutionize the lithium-ion battery space and accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable energy and transportation.
Our mission at PENA is to make the vision of affordable Electric Vehicles a reality by producing the world’s safest, high quality, and lowest cost batteries. Through this effort we will create a clean energy society and our products will change society’s use of and perceptions of electric power.
In addition to an environment that is as innovative as our products, we offer competitive salaries and benefits.
Pre-employment drug testing is required. Due to the high volume of responses, we will only be able to respond to candidates of interest. All candidates must have valid authorization to work in the U.S. without restriction.
Panasonic is an Equal Opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by law. All qualified individuals are required to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation.
Thank you for your interest in Panasonic Energy of North America.