Maintenance Director / GM
The Director of Maintenance drives the long-range strategic planning process for operations by overseeing the maintenance manufacturing operations. The Director of Maintenance defines goals, improves technologies, and resolves problems in conjunction with managers of manufacturing, quality assurance, and engineering. Develops operations-related plans, budgets, and policies and procedures. Maintains safety and regulatory compliance relating to the production facility. May direct international manufacturing operations. Participates in corporate development of methods, techniques and evaluation criteria for projects, programs, and people. Ensures budgets and schedules meet corporate requirements.
The Director of Maintenance should inspire, motivate, and mentor staff to achieve excellence, and have the drive and passion to grow self and others. Always strive to be the best version of his/herself and understand the leader is a reflection of his/her team. The should align to and incorporate their leadership style to Panasonic’s Seven Core Principles, contribution to society, fairness and honesty, cooperation and team spirit, untiring effort for improvement, courtesy and humility, adaptability, and gratitude.
- Lead functional teams to meet manufacturing key performance initiatives
- Exemplify servant leadership to empower, develop, and reward individuals and teams for performance and growth
- Ensure that company resources are utilized to sustain safe manufacturing and distribution excellence
- Manage ongoing improvements in production efficiency, implementing Lean principles, and demonstrate proficiency in implementation
- Establish and maintain an effective preventive maintenance program with minimum downtime
- Utilize analysis of operational metrics to drive product quality and corrective and/or preventive action programs
- Coordinate and interact with internal and external cross-functional agencies to fulfill customer and company goals
- Stay well-informed of current continuity standards, best practices, and technologies
- To coordinate maintenance activities including inventory, cost control and production of monthly maintenance inventory usage reports
- Coordinate site maintenance of all equipment to ensure optimal availability and efficient operation
- Participate in Quality improvement initiatives to facilitate harmonious integration of engineering and production activities
- Produce monthly reports including breakdown analysis, downtime and OEE deliverables
- Control of contractors including scheduling work, reviewing contractor documentation (method statements, risk assessments etc.) and task closure inspections
- Collaborate daily with the Operations and planning team to ensure activities are integrated with production activities
- Co-operate with Sr. Leadership to ensure mission critical objectives are met
- To maintain and where possible improve Health and Safety, environmental and all other responsibilities according to the applicable regulatory standards
- Maintain high levels of tidiness and housekeeping in all areas where maintenance work is undertaken. Conduct periodic 5S reviews to ensure disciplined activity
- Review, challenge and develop the capabilities of technicians and maintenance team leaders
- Work to timescales and deadlines
- Other assigned job duties
Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) Requirements:
To ensure the health and safety in the workplace and for the protection of our employees, wearing PPE is a possibility and may include equipment such as a full Tyvek suit, safety shoes, gloves, safety glasses, face mask, bump cap, and a full hazmat suit that includes a respirator.
The foregoing description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills and efforts or work conditions associated with the job. It is intended to be an accurate reflection of the general nature and level of the job.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Excellent communication skills; both written and oral
- Competent with Microsoft Office Products such as Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Knowledge/Safety: 5 - 10+ years of experience in a high speed/high volume manufacturing, understanding of machine controls and instrumentation, Lean Six Sigma and continuous process improvement experience, Six Sigma Black Belt, Green Belt, ERP transactional experience, Understanding Overall Equipment Effectiveness (OEE) concepts, Experience with automation and automated equipment including electrical control systems, pneumatic devices, servo devices, mechanical devices, various types of bearings and other machine components, Understanding of machining processes and their application to a 24/7 manufacturing operation, Experience overseeing a machine shop, Experience with ISO9000 and/or TS16949 systems, Experience developing and managing $50M+ budgets, 6S experience; strives for an accident-free workplace; keeps safety at the “heart” of everything; treats safety as a personal responsibility and sees oneself as being responsible for the safety of others.
- Work Habits/Leadership: Proven ability of being a strong leader of a large team; ability to help the team ‘connect the dots’ on the business expectations, KPI’s and the importance of their daily role, Strong communicator (bilingual a plus), self-directed, motivated and goal oriented. Strong examples of exercising recognition and rewarding team members for behaviors that represent the company’s core values (Panasonic’s 7 Core Principles).
- Initiative/Critical Thinker: Strong problem solver (including root cause analysis); commitment to continuous improvement philosophy. Able to drive Change Management, Resilient, self-motived and able to work well under pressure, Demonstrated ability to take initiative, successfully handle and prioritize multiple competing assignments, and effectively manage deadlines, Demonstrated ability to build strong relationships and collaborate well at all levels.
- Teamwork: Contributes meaningfully to work group efforts by offering new ideas for improvement; demonstrates a cooperative manner and the ability to build strong relationships and collaborate well at all levels.
- Flexibility: Willing and able to work in a 24/7/365 operation; able to pivot in a fast-paced environment; adapts approach as the requirements of the situation change; changes or easily accepts change in organization or job requirements.
Panasonic Energy of North America (PENA) is collaborating with Tesla Motors, Inc. in a large-scale advanced battery manufacturing facility known as the Gigafactory near Reno, Nevada which is known for its quality of life and expansive outdoor adventures. Panasonic manufactures and supplies cylindrical lithium-ion cells for the world’s leading electric vehicle manufacturer, Tesla Motors, Inc. Based on the battery demand from Tesla, the Gigafactory is producing cells which will double the world’s current production.
Our mission at PENA is to make the vision of affordable Electric Vehicles a reality by production of the world’s safest, highest-quality, and lowest-cost batteries. Through this effort we will create a clean energy society and our products will change society’s use of and perceptions of electric power.
In addition to an environment that is as innovative as our products, we offer competitive compensation and benefits. Panasonic is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer.
Pre-employment drug testing is required. Due to the high volume of responses, we will only be able to respond to candidates of interest. All candidates must have valid authorization to work in the U.S. without restriction.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by law. All qualified individuals are required to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation.
Thank you for your interest in Panasonic Energy of North America.