Panasonic / TeraDiode (TDI) – Laser Engineer Wilmington, MA
Every moment of every day, people all over the world turn to Panasonic to make their lives simpler, more enjoyable, more productive and more secure. Since our founding almost a century ago, we’ve been committed to improving peoples’ lives and making the world a better place–one customer, one business, one innovative leap at a time. Come join our journey.
TeraDiode (TDI) is a Massachusetts based Panasonic subsidiary and a world leader in developing high-power, high-brightness diode laser systems. Our kW-class direct diode laser technology is a disruptive force in the materials processing industry, which is currently dominated by Fiber and CO2 lasers. Our patented wavelength beam combining technology was developed by our co-founders from MIT Lincoln Laboratory for defense, industrial, and commercial materials processing applications.
Click here to learn more about how Panasonic is creating a better life, a better world.
Watch this video to see how our employees are shaping the technologies that move us.
What You’ll Get to Do:
The Laser Engineer develops high tolerance, complex opto-mechanical products and understands the mechanics of high-powered lasers. This role is not remote and is based in Wilmington, MA.
- Initiates, develops, designs and executes test plans for evaluating design innovations in existing products
- Initiates, develops, designs and executes test plans for evaluating design innovations in evaluating prototypes of NPI and technology development programs
- Scope, budget, schedule and assess risk of programs
- Participate in all aspects of the transition of ECM’s and NPI’s to production
- Work with other members of the engineering and operations staff to ensure that products are developed to meet all performance and quality standards
- Communicate with customers on technical issues
- Prepare and deliver technical presentations to team members and management
What You’ll Bring:
Education & Experience:
- Undergraduate degree in Physics, Optics or Lasers
- 2-3 years of laser technology experience strongly preferred
- Hands on experience evaluating laser products and determining if they meet specifications
- Ability to work in a laboratory/R&D clean room environment with required protective gear
- Proficiency in Excel and PowerPoint
- Thorough knowledge of optical and electrical test equipment
- Experience with some or all of the following: optical design, micron level tolerances, solid state, fiber or gas lasers, FEA, DFM, FMEA, kinematics, thermal modeling, mounting of optical components, optical alignment, and fixture design.
- High level of problem-solving capabilities
- Able to interpret and analyze test results
- Excellent communication skills
- Must be able to work in teams and collaborate with other groups on creative and functional levels.
- Must be able to handle multiple priorities at the same time.
- Required to communicate with both internal and external stakeholders
- Must have excellent oral, written and presentation skills
- Able to work on devices using microscope, hand tools, automated tools and machinery
- Able to work in Cleanrooms with PPE and protective Eye Wear
- Able to lift 35 pounds
- Must be able to speak, hear, see, understand and interpret
- May be exposed to hazardous equipment and chemicals
Note: this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee(s) for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
What We Offer:
- Competitive compensation package
- Comprehensive benefits
- Pet Insurance
- Paid Parental Care Leave
- Employee Referral Program
- Educational Assistance
- Flexible Work Program
- Volunteer time Off
- Casual Dress Code
- Total Well Being Program
Panasonic is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by law or company policy. All qualified individuals are required to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation. Pre-employment drug testing is required for safety sensitive positions or as may otherwise be required by contract or law. Due to the high volume of responses, we will only be able to respond to candidates of interest. All candidates must have valid authorization to work in the U.S. Thank you for your interest in Panasonic Corporation of North America.