Job Title: Skilled Machine Operator IV
Shift: C Shift
The Skilled Machine Operator IV/Winding operates one or several lithium-ion battery cell Winding machines in a clean-room environment. Operators also perform related machine and work area upkeep (6S), material movement, and conduct basic analyses of the winding machine lines. Operators work as a team to ensure safe and high-quality products. In this role, you will be required to maintain active communication with co-workers and Maintenance Technicians for quality and production related issues and, when necessary, elevate these issues to management or the appropriate personnel. You are also required to maintain the shift logs and QC records for the assigned areas. Individuals must work and comply with safe working standards, practice, and all environmental regulations.
- All SMO III Winding duties
- Evaluate material condition of and load new material into Winders in accordance with the SOPs
- Work with PM team during extended maintenance for winding deep cleans, fixes and installations
- Ability to perform machine maintenance, including:
- Performs basic machine fault clearing
- Create, promote, fill out, and close Asset Management (AM) Tickets
- Simple machine audits (rice bowls, stopper condition, cleanliness)
- Door wheel replacement
- Understands sensor locations and functionality within the Winding machines
- Clean and grease buffers
- Research winder DT, defect, etc. and escalate
- Pass down of Quality and/or Delivery issues of assigned machine
- Sensor replacement (Troubleshoots and replaces selected sensors as necessary)
- Replacement of plastic conveyor covers
- Pre-Maintenance Fixed Point Tab Removal
- Vacuum Filter Cleaning
- Anode Cutter Hot Swap (CJ, NX)
- Cathode Cutter Hot Swap (CJ, NX)
- Linear Movement Guide and Ball Screw Maintenance
- Blade Maintenance
- Winding Felt Exchange (CJ, NX)
- Facilitate learning, collaboration and interactions between employees, shift leads and supervisory personnel that lead to productive and positive outcomes
- Understands fully and works in compliance with SOP and safety standards
- Demonstrates train the trainer knowledge
Follows proper escalation process as needed
Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) Requirements:
- To ensure the health and safety in the workplace and for the protection of our employee’s, wearing PPE is a requirement for some roles at PENA. For SMO IV/Winding, PPE includes a full Tyvek suit, safety shoes, gloves, safety glasses, and bump cap.
The foregoing description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills and efforts or work conditions associated with the job. It is intended to be an accurate reflection of the general nature and level of the job.
Qualifications: Requirements - Required and/or Preferred
- Preferred: High School Diploma, GED (General Education Development) or equivalent
- Preferred: AA/AS degree Engineering, Draft, or experience in related field and/or in technical writing,
- Minimum of 1-year Winding SMOIII experience or 6 months as a MT 1 and successful completion of the SWI review on GA5 and/or GA12
- Successful completion of the Maintenance Tech 1 assessment
- Lock out/Tag Out certified
- Must have working-level knowledge of the English language, including reading, writing, and speaking English
- Must be in good standing
- Able to read and interpret data to set priorities and escalate issues as necessary
- Strong knowledge of soft skills affecting the overall functioning of training
- Excellent evaluative assessment and training skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Good interpersonal abilities
- Must be able to motivate team members, and work in a high performing team environment.
- Must have a safety conscientious attitude
- In the absence of a supervisor, must be able to make safe, business minded, conscientious decisions when issues arise
- Work within the Metric and Standard systems of measurement
- Alignment to Panasonic’s seven (7) core principles (contribution to society, fairness and honesty, cooperation and team spirit, untiring effort for improvement, courtesy and humility, adaptability, gratitude)
- Yellow Belt Certifications
- Train the Trainer Program
Physical Activities: (Percentage of time (equaling 100%) during the normal workday the employee is required to)
- Sit: 10%
- Walk: 20%
- Stand: 40%
- Lift: 30%
Required Lifting and Carrying: (Required frequency is: Not required (0%), Occasional (1-33%), Frequent (34-66%, Continuous (67-100%)
- Up to 10 lbs.: Occasional
- Up to 20 lbs.: Occasional
- Up to 35 lbs.: Occasional
- Team-lift only (over 35 lbs.): Occasional
Panasonic Energy of North America (PENA) is collaborating with Tesla at a massive battery factory near Reno, Nevada which is known for its quality of life and expansive outdoor adventures. Panasonic's role at the Gigafactory is to manufacture and supply cylindrical lithium-ion cells to Tesla for their electric vehicles and energy storage systems.
Over the past few years, the Gigafactory has grown to the largest lithium-ion battery factory in the world. Together with our partner Tesla, we continue to revolutionize the lithium-ion battery space and accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable energy and transportation.
Our mission at PENA is to make the vision of affordable Electric Vehicles a reality by producing the world’s safest, high quality, and lowest cost batteries. Through this effort we will create a clean energy society and our products will change society’s use of and perceptions of electric power.
In addition to an environment that is as innovative as our products, we offer competitive salaries and benefits.
Pre-employment drug testing is required. Due to the high volume of responses, we will only be able to respond to candidates of interest. All candidates must have valid authorization to work in the U.S. without restriction.
Panasonic is an Equal Opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by law. All qualified individuals are required to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation.
Thank you for your interest in Panasonic Energy of North America.