Panasonic Energy of North America (PENA) is collaborating with Tesla Motors, Inc. in a large-scale advanced battery manufacturing facility known as the Gigafactory near Reno, Nevada which is known for its quality of life and expansive outdoor adventures. Panasonic manufactures and supplies cylindrical lithium-ion cells for the world’s leading electric vehicle manufacturer, Tesla Motors, Inc. Based on the battery demand from Tesla, the Gigafactory plans to produce cells which will double the world’s current production.
Our mission at PENA is to make the vision of affordable Electric Vehicles a reality by production of the world’s safest, highest-quality, and lowest-cost batteries. Through this effort we will create a clean energy society and our products will change society’s use of and perceptions of electric power.
This role supervises employees in the manufacturing areas. Will lead manufacturing activities and workforce to accomplish cost, schedule and quality objectives for the production manufacturing areas. Will provide direction of daily operations, develop work assignments, assesses performance to meet program's Quality, Schedule and Cost initiatives. Assign daily tasks and manage execution. Responsible for compliance with prescribed manufacturing policies and procedures. Performs administrative tasks such as maintenance, distribution and recording of daily overtime and attendance. Proactively drives continuous improvement and development of technical competencies, talent, and performance. Provides a safe work environment and takes timely corrective action to correct unsafe conditions.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Lead, supervise, and direct maintenance members to ensure starts and transfers are consistently achieved.
- Hire, train, develop, engage as well as motivate and drive accountability of the Direct Labor (DL) workforce while driving continuous improvement (mistake proofing, lean manufacturing strategies, FTQ), positive and safe working environment, and operational excellence (quality, cost and delivery).
- Ensure production employees are adequately trained and certified to perform their jobs in a Safety 1st work place environment.
- Ensures direct reports understand the site and Maintenance Team’s goals while making the connection of their goals and performance are aligned to support the site and Maintenance Team’s deliverables.
- Maintain high degree of manufacturing floor presence to enable good understanding of both manufacturing and staffing issues and process bottlenecks.
- Actively supervise multiple shifts and/or areas of manufacturing, promoting a positive environment that ensures teamwork and accountability within the manufacturing area
- Perform annual performance reviews, pay adjustments and Career Development Plans for direct reports.
- Manage DL overtime scheduling and overtime reduction plans.
- Lead regular informational and improvement team meetings.
- Monitor compliance to safety rules, including ergonomics and compliance to 6S, Visual Management and other housekeeping standards.
- Develop, implement, and maintain effective communication channels for production measurements and general business communication.
- Demonstrates and model team-oriented behavior in dealing with others and in conflict resolution.
- Ensure and model uncompromising integrity at all times by behaving ethically in all situations and reports or challenges unethical behavior of others.
- Enhance and influence support of Diversity and Inclusion.
- Review and approve timekeeping system entries and vacation requests.
- Recognize and reward teams and/or individuals consistent with Panasonic’s reward & recognition guidelines.
- Ensures Medtronic policies, practices, standards and programs are consistently followed.
- Provide clear and crisp communication of all manufacturing issues and help needed to management and support functions.
- Manage and deliver expectations of daily tier meetings.
- Coordinate and manage material flow and accuracy, quality, and maintenance support requirements.
- Improve schedule linearity, reduce cycle times and inventory, reduce costs, and improve employee engagement.
- Monitor Value Stream (VS) productivity and ensure that staffing is balanced to support manufacturing plans.
- Collaborate and partner with other shift supervisors to ensure consistency of manufacturing practices across shifts and value streams.
- Actively participate in, and lead projects that drives FTQ and operational excellence improvements including Lean Manufacturing methodologies and mistake proofing.
- Other duties and special projects as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor's degree (Engineering, Operations, Business, or related field)
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant experience, or and advanced degree with a minimum of 1 year of relevant experience
- Experience performing preventative maintenance
- Experience reading blueprints
- Experience with CAD
- Experience with measurement tools (calipers, micrometers, etc.)
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Operations, Business, or related field and a combined 10+ years people leadership and Lean Manufacturing experience working with a 24X7 electronics, or semiconductor assembly operations.
- Demonstrated ability to interact with employees in all levels in a professional, engaging, professional and constructive manner.
- Good organizational and visual management skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively and diplomatically (written and verbal).
- Personal computer skills in a variety of software programs such as MS Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Visio, inventory management system, and MES (manufacturing execution systems) that support the manufacturing environment.
- Demonstrated ability to lead organizational changes.
- Experience in a regulated environment (e.g. FDA or medical device)
- Lean, Six Sigma and Just-In-Time manufacturing experience such as Lean Sigma Green Belt certification or higher
- ISO 9000 experience
- Assembly automation experience
- Understands Statistical Process Control
- Demonstrated ability to transform a workflow to a fully mature, efficient and lean operation.
- Experience with WorkDay (HRIS)
- Experience with metric units
PHYSICAL DEMANDS The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
WORK ENVIRONMENT The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to moving mechanical parts and toxic or caustic chemicals. The employee is occasionally exposed to risk of electrical shock, explosives, and vibration. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
In addition to an environment that’s as innovative as our products, we offer competitive salaries and benefits.
Panasonic is an Equal Opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to: race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. All qualified individuals are required to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation.
Pre-employment drug testing is required. Due to the high volume of responses, we will only be able to respond to candidates of interest. All candidates must have valid authorization to work in the U.S. Thank you for your interest in Panasonic Energy of North America.