The Vice President of Engineering will report directly to the COO and will be accountable for leading all aspects of the system architecture team, hardware, software, network engineering and sustaining engineering. Based in Lake Forest, California, this leader will manage a team of over 800 engineering employees globally and will serve as a key member of Panasonic’s executive team.
The VP of Engineering will be expected to inspire a high-level of collaboration between not only the engineering teams but also with other groups in the company, while establishing appropriate processes and procedures for optimum efficiency and holding all parties accountable to Panasonic’s standards of excellence.
- Act as the key leader for the engineering organization, taking responsibility for the engineering of all new products developed and establishing department processes and policies.
- Work closely with the COO and other members of senior leadership to set the strategic vision for the engineering organization and participate in strategy formulation and key decisions across the business.
- Work closely with the CTO and Marketing department to establish and deploy strategic direction for advanced core technologies, program pursuits, and program execution.
- Assure that products meet customer expectations regulatory requirements in a FAA and EASA part 21 environment.
- Collaborate with multiple functional areas to ensure that manufacturability, quality, reliability, durability, and cost requirements are addressed in product and network design.
- Ensure product quality by providing leadership in upholding quality vision, culture, structure, management systems, and processes across the business.
- Assure that intellectual property is properly protected.
- Ensure business processes in new product development achieve robustness and increase efficiency.
- Ensure that adequate manpower is in place to meet business demands thru capacity planning and project management tools.
- Review development performance against operating plans, standards and established metrics. Periodically evaluate development activity compliance with documented processes and procedures.
- Ensure that systems are in place to attract, develop, mentor, coach and retain high quality and diverse staff throughout the engineering organization.
- Responsible for reviewing and approving all engineering financial budgets, cost estimates, labor and facility requirements.
- Maintain a deep understanding of Panasonic’s competitors’ products, capabilities, and market strategies.
- Direct and control the activities of multiple departments through VP and Director-level managers who have overall responsibility for the successful operation of those assigned areas.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills including ability to present to Executive and Board-level decision makers.
- Flexibility, adaptability and the appetite to manage products in an environment with constant change.
- Demonstrated excellent ability to plan, assign, train and direct employees. Demonstrated ability to interview, hire and appraise employees.
- Highly developed team building skills.
- Experience participating with other senior managers to establish strategic plans and objectives.
- Experience developing corporate and/or organizational policies and procedures and authorizing their implementation.
- Experience providing direction to senior managers in various areas, groups, and/or operations.
- Experience consistently working with abstract ideas or situations across functional areas of business.
- Experience working in customer-facing roles.
- Ability to create and communicate department vision and strategy, give coaching, identify key talent, build an effective team and lead department staff.
- Strategic thinker with vision for the future; ability to “see around corners.”
- Strong blend of analytical decision making and creative problem solving.
- Demonstrated track record of success in leading dynamic engineering teams in highly complex and innovative environments.
- Demonstrated a hands-on, proactive style that delivers solutions in an efficient manner.
- Highly flexible as the organization goes through a transition phase, but also a very strong leader who inspires confidence and stresses collaboration and accountability.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering is required.
- Advanced degree is preferred.
- 10+ years of experience leading engineering programs of similar scope, with a track record of success.
- Demonstrated success managing new product development, with oversight of software, hardware, test engineering and quality.
- Leadership experience in a highly technical, innovative environment, with high-volume output.
- Seasoned financial and business acumen.