Vice President Of Operations
The Vice President of Operations who will oversee all aspects of production at the Gigafactory, leading a group of 3,500 employees and reporting directly to the President. The Vice President will have oversight of four General Managers running 13 different production lines in the 24/7 operations. The criticality of this role cannot be overstated. As PENA continues to redefine what is possible in high-volume battery manufacturing, the VP of Operations will be responsible for perpetuating the company’s outstanding trajectory. The Vice President will serve as a key member of PENA’s executive leadership team as they continue to expand the facility’s output, adding a new production line soon, and streamlining all operations to achieve optimum efficiency while continuing to meet Tesla’s increasing demand.
The successful candidate will bring the right level of executive presence, combined with an entrepreneurial, hands-on approach. While the VP of Operations will be leading over 3,500 people, they should be a very hands-on leader who is out on the floor. PENA takes great pride in fostering a culture of servant leadership and teamwork. The successful candidate will be one who knows how to roll up his/her sleeves and dive into the details, while at the same time knowing how to properly delegate to optimize efficiency in this extremely fast-paced environment.
The VP of Operations must have strong experience leading a high-volume continuous manufacturing operation, with a strong track record of leadership success. They will act as a mentor and coach, having the chance to develop a promising team in an exciting, high-growth industry. They must be able to work well in a dynamic, growth-oriented and collaborative environment, with a constant drive for continuous improvement and success.
- Oversee all aspects of PENA’s manufacturing, including the planning, production scheduling and management of all operations to achieve the safety, quality and financial objectives for the company.
- Develop and implement manufacturing process improvements, with an emphasis on Lean manufacturing principles.
- Responsible for driving PENA to achieve and surpass production and business goals and objectives.
- Responsible for the measurement and effectiveness of all production; providing timely, accurate and complete reports on all operational conditions.
- Collaborate with leadership to develop and implement plans for the operational infrastructure of systems, processes, and personnel designed to accommodate rapid growth objectives.
- Constantly look to identify and mitigate risks in manufacturing operations that could negatively impact production and the on-time delivery of batteries to Tesla.
- Engage all levels of the organization to remove waste from operations, employing Lean/Six Sigma and/or Kaizen practices.
- Continually investigate and look to introduce process improvement measures, bringing suggestions to the President for consideration.
- Be a strategic business partner to the various functions – inform and guide strategy and key business decisions.
- Serve as a consultant to the President and all the company’s senior managers with respect to problems and/or opportunities regarding manufacturing/operations.
- Proactively advise the President and parent company by extracting and clearly communicating conclusions from key indicators, metrics, and analyses.
- Foster a success-oriented, accountable environment.
- Conduct a thorough analysis of PENAs manufacturing operations and develop a strategic plan to take production to a higher level of maturity, with even greater capacity.
- Stabilize production processes where the company is efficiently producing five million batteries per day on a regular basis.
- Build strong cross-functional relationships with other leaders, fostering a culture of teamwork and collaboration.
Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) Requirements:
- To ensure the health and safety in the workplace and for the protection of our employee’s, wearing PPE is a requirement for some roles at PENA and may include equipment such as a full Tyvek suit, safety shoes, gloves, safety glasses, face mask, bump cap, and a full hazmat suit that includes a respirator.
The foregoing description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills and efforts or work conditions associated with the job. It is intended to be an accurate reflection of the general nature and level of the job.
Qualifications: Requirements - Required and/or Preferred
- Basic/Required: Bachelor’s Degree
- Preferred: Master’s Degree
- Minimum of 15+ years of experience working in high-volume manufacturing environments, with a strong track record of leadership success
- Experience driving continuous improvement initiatives in manufacturing environments.
- Proven success leading manufacturing operations in very fast-paced, high-growth environments
- Comprehensive leadership skills, with the ability to create a culture of commitment, trust, authenticity, and bottom-line results.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to influence and drive accountability while exercising sensitivity when necessary.
- Strong strategic thinking, problem solving, creative skills, and the ability to exercise sound judgement and decision making based on data analysis.
- Ability to develop and maintain excellent working relationships with various stakeholders, customers vendors, and internal departments.
- Demonstrated track-record building successful teams, including mentoring existing talent, and adding capabilities where required to enhance the capabilities of the finance organization.
- Must have working-level knowledge of the English language, including reading, writing, and speaking English.
- Formal training in Lean Manufacturing, Six Sigma, and/or Kaizen is preferred.
- Able to work independently and in a team environment, as well as with cross-functional groups.
- Resilient, self-motivated, and able to work well under pressure.
- Alignment to Panasonic’s seven (7) core principles (contribution to society, fairness and honesty, cooperation and team spirit, untiring effort for improvement, courtesy and humility, adaptability, gratitude).
Physical Activities: (Percentage of time (equaling 100%) during the normal workday the employee is required to)
- Sit: 40%
- Walk: 30%
- Stand: 20%
- Lift: 10%
Required Lifting and Carrying: (Required frequency is: Not required (0%), Occasional (1-33%), Frequent (34-66%, Continuous (67-100%)
- Up to 10 lbs.: Occasional
- Up to 20 lbs.: Occasional
- Up to 35 lbs.: Occasional
- Team-lift only (over 35 lbs.): Not Required
Panasonic Energy of North America (PENA) is collaborating with Tesla at a massive battery factory near Reno, Nevada which is known for its quality of life and expansive outdoor adventures. Panasonic's role at the Gigafactory is to manufacture and supply cylindrical lithium-ion cells to Tesla for their electric vehicles and energy storage systems.
Over the past few years, the Gigafactory has grown to the largest lithium-ion battery factory in the world. Together with our partner Tesla, we continue to revolutionize the lithium-ion battery space and accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable energy and transportation.
Our mission at PENA is to make the vision of affordable Electric Vehicles a reality by producing the world’s safest, high quality, and lowest cost batteries. Through this effort we will create a clean energy society and our products will change society’s use of and perceptions of electric power.
In addition to an environment that is as innovative as our products, we offer competitive salaries and benefits.
Pre-employment drug testing is required. Due to the high volume of responses, we will only be able to respond to candidates of interest. All candidates must have valid authorization to work in the U.S. without restriction.
Panasonic is an Equal Opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by law. All qualified individuals are required to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation.
Thank you for your interest in Panasonic Energy of North America.