Stamping Press Technical Specialist
The Stamping Press Technical Specialist will be a true technical expert for Panasonic’s stamping press systems. They will be responsible for improving different types of tools to enable production processes within the press room to be as efficient as possible. This may include jigs, fixtures, clamps, or molds to obtain a more robust consistently produced part that meets the specification of the customer. This person may also have some budgetary and training responsibilities.
• Being part of Panasonic’s top cap production process. The top cap group is responsible for the metal forming, stamping, pressing, and assembly that is required to manufacture the top cap portion of Panasonic’s cylindrical lithium-ion batteries.
• Leading and supervising a team of highly talented and motivated die team members within Panasonic Top Cap Press process.
• Leading by example with a strong work ethic and a “get the job done” approach.
• Executing high performance culture and servant leadership.
• Serving as the technical subject matter expert for the stamping press areas of Panasonic’s Top Cap process.
• Contributing to the creation and implementation of stamping system best practice, press room vision, strategy, policies, processes, and procedures to aid and improve operational performance.
• Supporting production and engineering with tooling/technical problems including stamp, press, and die processes.
• Supporting production and engineering to guarantee on time availability of tools to ensure continuous production and increase of OEE (Overall Equipment Effectiveness).
• Developing and managing procedural arrangements whereby proposals on new equipment or press design can be assessed for their impact in performance terms.
• Developing and implementing key performance indicators (KPIs).
• Providing quotations for press machine maintenance, modifications, and repairs.
• Working closely with all department heads in the preparation of annual business plans (budgets) including capital investment.
• Coordinating with equipment suppliers and partners to facilitate improvements to production machinery, die-sets, and process.
• Effectively communicating and collaborating with management teams, team members, and related Panasonic groups (Maintenance, Engineering, Quality, etc.)
• Studying blueprints, sketches, models, or specifications to plan sequences of operations for fabricating tools, dies, or assemblies.
• Verifying dimensions, alignments, and clearances of finished parts for conformance to specifications using measuring instruments such as calipers, gauge blocks, micrometers, and dial indicators.
• Visualizing and computing dimensions, sizes, shapes, and tolerances of assemblies based on specifications.
• Filing, grinding, shimming, and adjusting different parts to properly fit them together.
• Fitting and assembling parts to make, repair, or modify dies, jigs, gauges, and tools, using machine tools and hand tools.
• Conducting test runs with completed tools or dies to ensure that parts meet specifications; making adjustments as necessary.
• Inspecting finished dies for smoothness, contour conformity, and defects.
Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) Requirements:
- To ensure the health and safety in the workplace and for the protection of our employees, wearing PPE is a possibility and may include equipment such as a full Tyvek suit, safety shoes, gloves, safety glasses, face mask, bump cap, and a full hazmat suit that includes a respirator.
The foregoing description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills and efforts or work conditions associated with the job. It is intended to be an accurate reflection of the general nature and level of the job.
Qualifications: Requirements - Required and/or Preferred
- Basic: High School Diploma or GED.
- Preferred: A.S. or B.S. in Metallurgical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or equivalent industry experience.
- Panasonic Energy of North America does not sponsor applicants for work visas for this position.
- Demonstrated experience performing hands-on troubleshooting of large stamping machines.
- Exceptional tool and die experience through an apprenticeship program or other specialized training.
- Strong experience leading a driven and high-performing team.
- Robust expertise with high-volume automated machinery.
- Strong background with both hydraulic and pneumatic systems.
- Must be able to perform machine and process troubleshooting and apply root cause analysis to solve problems.
- Must be a self-starter who works well independently with an outstanding ability to follow up with minimal direction and a focus on team success.
- Able to manage multiple concurrent tasks in a fast-paced environment, effectively prioritize work, and deliver quality results.
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, etc.)
- Strong verbal and written communication skills to facilitate successful interactions with team members and management.
- Experience utilizing 3D CAD software such as SolidWorks.
- Understanding of ISO-9001 standards and how they apply in a manufacturing environment.
- Familiarity with Lean Six-Sigma methodology and principles in the form of a Green Belt, Black Belt, etc.
Physical Activities: (Percentage of time (equaling 100%) during the normal workday the employee is required to)
- Stand: 20%
Tools and/or Equipment: (Required frequency is: Not required (0%), Occasional (1-33%), Frequent (34-66%, Continuous (67-100%)
- Office Equipment:Continuous
Required Lifting and Carrying: (Required frequency is: Not required (0%), Occasional (1-33%), Frequent (34-66%, Continuous (67-100%)
- Up to 10 lbs.:Frequent
- Up to 20 lbs.:Frequent
- Up to 35 lbs.:Frequent
- Team-lift only (over 35 lbs.):Frequent
Panasonic Energy of North America (PENA) is collaborating with Tesla at a massive battery factory near Reno, Nevada which is known for its quality of life and expansive outdoor adventures. Panasonic's role at the Gigafactory is to manufacture and supply cylindrical lithium-ion cells to Tesla for their electric vehicles and energy storage systems.
Over the past few years, the Gigafactory has grown to the largest lithium-ion battery factory in the world. Together with our partner Tesla, we continue to revolutionize the lithium-ion battery space and accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable energy and transportation.
Our mission at PENA is to make the vision of affordable Electric Vehicles a reality by producing the world’s safest, high quality, and lowest cost batteries. Through this effort we will create a clean energy society and our products will change society’s use of and perceptions of electric power.
In addition to an environment that is as innovative as our products, we offer competitive salaries and benefits.
Pre-employment drug testing is required. Due to the high volume of responses, we will only be able to respond to candidates of interest. All candidates must have valid authorization to work in the U.S. without restriction.
Panasonic is an Equal Opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by law. All qualified individuals are required to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation.
Thank you for your interest in Panasonic Energy of North America.