Senior Strategic Materials Engineer
Monday – Friday
Panasonic Energy of North America (PENA) is seeking ambitious engineers to lead the world’s largest lithium ion battery initiative. With superior battery designs and the fastest manufacturing lines in the world, Panasonic is producing millions of batteries per day at the Gigafactory to support Tesla’s electric vehicle and energy storage businesses. Panasonic invites you to join us in this ongoing full-scale effort to electrify our society. At PENA, engineers quickly become experts in the fundamentals of lithium-ion cell technology and work to integrate that understanding with high speed, automated manufacturing methods to produce the highest performance and highest quality lithium ion batteries.
- Engage with and manage external partners and vendors for materials development and drive to successful realization in production.
- Carry out characterization of new and existing materials by collaborating with internal and external analytical teams.
- Understand and develop (internally and with suppliers) novel processing and production methods for new materials.
- Perform data analysis of market data and statistical modeling of supply/demand curves to allow planning and price negotiations for current and future expansions.
- Design programs to map out supply candidates and analysis to solve business problems such as inventory and logistics – custom modeling tailored specifically to the supply chain at Panasonic.
- Assess and analyze commodity markets, conduct statistical analysis, and review raw material assets to follow market prices.
- Other duties may be assigned.
Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) Requirements:
- To ensure the health and safety in the workplace and for the protection of our employees, wearing PPE is a possibility and may include equipment such as a full Tyvek suit, safety shoes, gloves, safety glasses, face mask, bump cap, and a full hazmat suit that includes a respirator.
The foregoing description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills and efforts or work conditions associated with the job. It is intended to be an accurate reflection of the general nature and level of the job.
Qualifications: Requirements - Required and/or Preferred
- Basic: Bachelor’s Degree in an engineering or scientific discipline.
- Preferred: Master’s Degree in an engineering discipline
- 8+ years of technical experience in engineering, materials science, or similar.
- Experience and familiarity with sourcing of battery raw material supplies.
- Ability to coordinate evaluating and testing from multiple new suppliers at one time.
- Knowledgeable in lithium ion battery manufacturing and battery recycling supply chains.
- Ability to make detailed presentations, timelines, and flow charts for material systems.
- Developed a supplier from trials to mass production sourcing for a lithium ion battery component
- Familiarity with MS Office.
- Comfortable and experienced with direct contact with domestic and international suppliers.
- Able to work directly with Global Procurement teams to ensure adequate material supplies.
- Experience with identifying a supplier and guiding them from initial sampling to mass production.
- Able to calculate “should costs” and capex required for existing facility expansions as well as greenfield facilities.
- Able to work independently and in a team environment, as well as with cross-functional groups.
- Speaks technical Mandarin in an engineering setting with suppliers to troubleshoot and develop new supplies.
- Familiar with business norms with companies in Asia and a proven track record of developing suppliers from that region.
- Able to perform semi-formal audits of manufacturers and knowledge of ISO 9001.
- Familiarity with IATF/TS 16949 to ensure automotive sector quality management systems.
Physical Activities: (Percentage of time (equaling 100%) during the normal workday the employee is required to)
- Stand: 20%
Tools and/or Equipment: (Required frequency is: Not required (0%), Occasional (1-33%), Frequent (34-66%, Continuous (67-100%)
- Office Equipment:Continuous
Required Lifting and Carrying: (Required frequency is: Not required (0%), Occasional (1-33%), Frequent (34-66%, Continuous (67-100%)
- Up to 10 lbs.:Frequent
- Up to 20 lbs.:Frequent
- Up to 35 lbs.:Frequent
- Team-lift only (over 35 lbs.):Frequent
Panasonic Energy of North America (PENA) is collaborating with Tesla at a massive battery factory near Reno, Nevada which is known for its quality of life and expansive outdoor adventures. Panasonic's role at the Gigafactory is to manufacture and supply cylindrical lithium-ion cells to Tesla for their electric vehicles and energy storage systems.
Over the past few years, the Gigafactory has grown to the largest lithium-ion battery factory in the world. Together with our partner Tesla, we continue to revolutionize the lithium-ion battery space and accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable energy and transportation.
Our mission at PENA is to make the vision of affordable Electric Vehicles a reality by producing the world’s safest, high quality, and lowest cost batteries. Through this effort we will create a clean energy society and our products will change society’s use of and perceptions of electric power.
In addition to an environment that is as innovative as our products, we offer competitive salaries and benefits.
Pre-employment drug testing is required. Due to the high volume of responses, we will only be able to respond to candidates of interest. All candidates must have valid authorization to work in the U.S. without restriction.
Panasonic is an Equal Opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by law. All qualified individuals are required to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation.
Thank you for your interest in Panasonic Energy of North America.