Sr. Sourcing Specialist
Michael Togbe, Sr. HR Manager
The Senior Sourcing Specialist is an individual contributor role at the advanced level and performs sourcing work for goods, materials and services at competitive prices and advising upper-level staff members and company’s senior management on which suppliers to contract with while ensuring risk avoidance, procurement governance and compliance. The position is an independent, highly interactive position working closely with local suppliers and relevant departments to ensure that costs remain within budget.
- Working with Sourcing Analyst, conduct analysis in Excel, Power BI, or sequel querying tools to support procurement activities including spend analytics, budget analysis, and bid analysis
- Leverage spend analytics to identify consolidation opportunities; understand total cost of ownership and cost drivers, analyze product and service specifications to identify rationalization opportunities; analyze demand and spend to identify patterns and reduction opportunities
- Analyze market intelligence to build business cases and should cost models to identify and quantify improvement opportunities for both sourcing and non- sourcing – e.g., demand management, process improvements, insource vs. outsource, etc.
- Assist Commodity Manager with sourcing strategy development, spend/market analysis and sourcing recommendations.
- Manage sourcing projects from inception to completion, including development of eRFx and negotiation strategy utilizing best practice sourcing methodology to deliver exceptional total cost value and supply assurance
- Manage the planning and launch of RFx events, executing eAuctions as appropriate, in eSourcing tool by working with the cross-functional team.
- Build and maintain RFx templates in eSourcing tool or using Excel or Word template.
- Provide internal and external user support during RFx process, including coordinating NDAs, confirmation of COIs, supplier training and responses to supplier questions.
- Gather requirements and specifications from business and category experts to ensure that proposed solutions meet business needs
- Assess supplier capabilities and identify new sources of supply
- Develop and execute negotiation strategies. Develop transition plan to new supplier and support implementation.
- Generate quote comparisons by compiling a detailed assessment of cost breakdowns which support internal supplier selection.
- Conduct RFP result review meetings and provide recommendations.
- Review and negotiate contract terms and work with suppliers, stakeholders, and PEXNA departments such as Risk Management and PENA legal team to ensure PENA’s contract terms and conditions are accurately met
- Working with PENA legal department to ensure that procurement contracts contain all details of the negotiation.
- Independently draft short contracts including Addendum, Amendment and SOW and redline Supplier’s contracts.
- Work with suppliers, and key stakeholders post projects to manage supplier performance, and identify continuous improvement initiatives
- Conduct business reviews with key suppliers and internal stakeholders to assess each supplier’s performance against KPIs and SLAs.
- Develop and update Supplier Database
- Develop and implement innovative ideas to enhance sourcing strategies.
- Build and maintain strong relationships with stakeholders
- Enforce compliance to procurement policies and work to increase adoption
- Track and properly allocate procurement savings and costs to divisional budgets
Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) Requirements:
- To ensure the health and safety in the workplace and for the protection of our employees, wearing PPE is a requirement for some roles at PENA and may include equipment such as a full Tyvek suit, safety shoes, gloves, safety glasses, face mask, bump cap, and a full hazmat suit that includes a respirator.
The foregoing description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills and efforts or work conditions associated with the job. It is intended to be an accurate reflection of the general nature and level of the job.
- Basic/Required: Bachelor’s degree in relevant area (Supply Chain, Business, STEM)
- Preferred: MBA or other relevant degree or certification (ISM, CPSM, Six Sigma)
- Minimum of 3+ years of relevant experience
- Strong negotiation skills.
- Japanese language fluency highly desirable
- Experience with indirect category sourcing and strong knowledge in construction/facilities, engineering services as well as CapEx categories.
- Ability to lead and influence change in the face of complexity and ambiguity
- Demonstrated analytical, problem solving, organization, and project management skills
- Excellent written, verbal and presentation skills
- Strong ability to quickly create power point presentations.
- Knowledge of technology applications enabling procurement and strategic sourcing
- Self-starter with ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, including Outlook, PowerPoint, Excel, and Word (experience with Microsoft Project and Visio is a plus)
- Highly motivated, flexible, proactive with a continuous improvement mentality
- Thrives in fast paced, goal oriented, dynamic organization with time sensitive deadlines
- Detail oriented with strong organizational skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to interface with all levels of management internally and external suppliers
- Ability to redline and comment contract documents and ability to draft short contract documents such as amendments, addenda and SOWs (Statement of Work).
- This position may require some travel
- Collaborative nature with strong team building skills and willing to learn from and accept guidance from others
- Must have working-level knowledge of the English language, including reading, writing, and speaking English
- 8+ years of relevant experience
- eSourcing experience a plus
- strong knowledge of other indirect commodity industry.
- Superior organizational skills and outstanding follow-through
Physical Activities: (Percentage of time (equaling 100%) during the normal workday the employee is required to)
- Sit: 50%
- Walk: 20%
- Stand: 20%
- Lift: 10%
Required Lifting and Carrying: (Required frequency is: Not required (0%), Occasional (1-33%), Frequent (34-66%, Continuous (67-100%)
- Up to 10 lbs.: Occasional
- Up to 20 lbs.: Occasional
- Up to 35 lbs.: Occasional
- Team-lift only (over 35 lbs.): Not required
Panasonic Energy of North America (PENA) is collaborating with Tesla at a massive battery factory near Reno, Nevada which is known for its quality of life and expansive outdoor adventures. Panasonic's role at the Gigafactory is to manufacture and supply cylindrical lithium-ion cells to Tesla for their electric vehicles and energy storage systems.
Over the past few years, the Gigafactory has grown to the largest lithium-ion battery factory in the world. Together with our partner Tesla, we continue to revolutionize the lithium-ion battery space and accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable energy and transportation.
Our mission at PENA is to make the vision of affordable Electric Vehicles a reality by producing the world’s safest, high quality, and lowest cost batteries. Through this effort we will create a clean energy society and our products will change society’s use of and perceptions of electric power.
In addition to an environment that is as innovative as our products, we offer competitive salaries and benefits.
Pre-employment drug testing is required. Due to the high volume of responses, we will only be able to respond to candidates of interest. All candidates must have valid authorization to work in the U.S. without restriction.
Panasonic is an Equal Opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by law. All qualified individuals are required to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation.
Thank you for your interest in Panasonic Energy of North America.