Sr. Scientist – Analytical Chemistry
Panasonic Energy of North America (PENA) is seeking ambitious scientists to lead the world’s largest lithium ion battery initiative. With superior battery designs and the fastest manufacturing lines in the world, Panasonic is producing millions of batteries per day at the Gigafactory to support Tesla’s electric vehicle and energy storage businesses. Panasonic invites you to join us in this ongoing full-scale effort to electrify our society. At PENA, you will quickly become an expert in the fundamentals of lithium-ion cell technology and work to integrate that understanding with high speed, automated manufacturing methods to produce the highest performance and highest quality lithium ion batteries.
The Sr. Scientist will work within the Materials Engineering team to support operations at the Gigafactory. Your primary role will be to act as the lead operator of certain analytical instrumentation. The major analytical instrumentation includes: ICP-OES, ICP-MS and IC-MS. Experience with ICP-MS and ICP-OES is a priority.
- Create and maintain analytical method development for ICP-OES, ICP-MS, HPLC.
- Implement industry standards for test methods as appropriate.
- Day-to-day duties will consist of method development, hands-on operation of instruments, monitoring, routine maintenance, and clean-up.
- General chemistry methods: titrations, dilutions, stock solution makeup.
- Generate and maintain detailed work records of wet chemical analyses and report data internally and externally.
- Assure timely completion and achievement of project goals with supporting documentation.
- Employ environmentally friendly and safe work practices guided by SDS documentation and general familiarity with chemical hazards.
- Interact with other team members, providing timely feedback regarding assignment status, identifying potential barriers to project success, and soliciting help from team members as needed.
Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) Requirements:
- To ensure the health and safety in the workplace and for the protection of our employees, wearing PPE is a possibility and may include equipment such as a full Tyvek suit, safety shoes, gloves, safety glasses, face mask, bump cap, and a full hazmat suit that includes a respirator.
The foregoing description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills and efforts or work conditions associated with the job. It is intended to be an accurate reflection of the general nature and level of the job.
- BS/MS in Analytical Chemistry.
- Evidence of exceptional ability. Panasonic follows a culture of full-cycle engineering where members will have full responsibility and accountability for their projects from start to finish. We are looking for the best of the best.
- Understanding of ICP-MS and ICP-OES.
- Self-motivation and resourcefulness are required.
- Ability to manage multiple concurrent tasks in a fast-paced environment, effectively prioritize work, and deliver quality results on time.
- Should be intuitive, adaptable, creative, and collaborative with excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- 1+ years’ experience in an analytical chemistry laboratory.
- Understanding of chemical analysis methods such as titration, LC, MS, FTIR, UV-Vis, etc.
- Understanding of materials characterization techniques such as DSC, TGA, DMA, rheology, particle size analysis, etc.
- Familiarity with six sigma methodologies and tools.
- Data analysis skills with tools such as JMP.
- Experience presenting results and conclusions in team settings.
Physical Activities: (Percentage of time (equaling 100%) during the normal workday the employee is required to)
- Stand: 30%
Tools and/or Equipment: (Required frequency is: Not required (0%), Occasional (1-33%), Frequent (34-66%, Continuous (67-100%)
- Office Equipment:Continuous
Required Lifting and Carrying: (Required frequency is: Not required (0%), Occasional (1-33%), Frequent (34-66%, Continuous (67-100%)
- Up to 10 lbs.:Frequent
- Up to 20 lbs.:Frequent
- Up to 35 lbs.:Frequent
- Team-lift only (over 35 lbs.):Frequent
Panasonic Energy of North America (PENA) is collaborating with Tesla at a massive battery factory near Reno, Nevada which is known for its quality of life and expansive outdoor adventures. Panasonic's role at the Gigafactory is to manufacture and supply cylindrical lithium-ion cells to Tesla for their electric vehicles and energy storage systems.
Over the past few years, the Gigafactory has grown to the largest lithium-ion battery factory in the world. Together with our partner Tesla, we continue to revolutionize the lithium-ion battery space and accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable energy and transportation.
Our mission at PENA is to make the vision of affordable Electric Vehicles a reality by producing the world’s safest, high quality, and lowest cost batteries. Through this effort we will create a clean energy society and our products will change society’s use of and perceptions of electric power.
In addition to an environment that is as innovative as our products, we offer competitive salaries and benefits.
Pre-employment drug testing is required. Due to the high volume of responses, we will only be able to respond to candidates of interest. All candidates must have valid authorization to work in the U.S. without restriction.
Panasonic is an Equal Opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by law. All qualified individuals are required to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation.
Thank you for your interest in Panasonic Energy of North America.