Senior Quality Engineer
- Leading implementation of systemic quality improvements in the battery manufacturing process.
- Supporting quality investigations into production systems to maintain battery cell safety and quality standards.
- Analyzing and evaluating non-conformity, loss cost, and other trend data, and related action plans, to reduce defects and costs to the company.
- Leading governance of change management, ISO9001 initiatives, and breakthrough Quality projects for department of coverage.
- Promote technical team development of skill, knowledge, and critical thinking through mentorship and leading by example.
- Providing support to the manufacturing process to resolve persistent, unique, or complex production issues related to quality.
- Drive appropriate corrective actions for out of control situations through effective interdepartmental collaboration and application of contemporary industry knowledge.
- Supporting updates and maintenance of quality documentation related to manufacturing control points.
- Assisting with coordination of testing and evaluation of in-process samples to maintain quality standards and improve process performance.
- Other duties may be assigned.
Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) Requirements:
- To ensure the health and safety in the workplace and for the protection of our employees, wearing PPE is a requirement for some roles at PENA and may include equipment such as a full Tyvek suit, safety shoes, gloves, safety glasses, face mask, bump cap, and a full hazmat suit that includes a respirator.
The foregoing description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills and efforts or work conditions associated with the job. It is intended to be an accurate reflection of the general nature and level of the job.
Qualifications: Requirements - Required and/or Preferred
- Basic/Required: Bachelor's degree Mechanical Engineering, Industrial Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Materials Engineering, or similar) from a four-year College or university
- Preferred: Master’s degree in Mechanical Engineering, Industrial Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Materials Engineering, or similar
- 8+ years of quality engineering experience.
- Experience with quality control of batteries or electronic devices. Quality assurance work is desired.
- Experience working in an analytical laboratory environment.
- Familiarity with quality management tools (control chart, FTA, FMEA, etc.) and MS Office (Word, Excel and PowerPoint).
- Experience working in ISO quality management systems.
- Problem solving skills and attention to details.
- Must have working-level knowledge of the English language, including reading, writing, and speaking English.
- Experience with laboratory analysis using FTIR, SEM, ICP, or similar tools.
- A background as a quality engineer in high-volume manufacturing is strongly desired.
- Data analysis experience such as statistical process control of production data.
- Experience in defect reduction of high-volume manufacturing products.
- CQE or Six-Sigma certification.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, including Access, Outlook, PowerPoint, Excel and Word
- Alignment to Panasonic’s seven (7) core principles (contribution to society, fairness and honesty, cooperation and team spirit, untiring effort for improvement, courtesy and humility, adaptability, gratitude)
Physical Activities: (Percentage of time (equaling 100%) during the normal workday the employee is required to)
- Sit: 40%
- Walk: 30%
- Stand: 20%
- Lift: 10%
Required Lifting and Carrying: (Required frequency is: Not required (0%), Occasional (1-33%), Frequent (34-66%, Continuous (67-100%)
- Up to 10 lbs.: Occasional
- Up to 20 lbs.: Occasional
- Up to 35 lbs.: Occasional
- Team-lift only (over 35 lbs.): Occasional
Panasonic Energy of North America (PENA) is collaborating with Tesla at a massive battery factory near Reno, Nevada which is known for its quality of life and expansive outdoor adventures. Panasonic's role at the Gigafactory is to manufacture and supply cylindrical lithium-ion cells to Tesla for their electric vehicles and energy storage systems.
Over the past few years, the Gigafactory has grown to the largest lithium-ion battery factory in the world. Together with our partner Tesla, we continue to revolutionize the lithium-ion battery space and accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable energy and transportation.
Our mission at PENA is to make the vision of affordable Electric Vehicles a reality by producing the world’s safest, high quality, and lowest cost batteries. Through this effort we will create a clean energy society and our products will change society’s use of and perceptions of electric power.
In addition to an environment that is as innovative as our products, we offer competitive salaries and benefits.
Pre-employment drug testing is required. Due to the high volume of responses, we will only be able to respond to candidates of interest. All candidates must have valid authorization to work in the U.S. without restriction.
Panasonic is an Equal Opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by law. All qualified individuals are required to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation.
Thank you for your interest in Panasonic Energy of North America.