Our new global headquarters is conveniently located in Irvine, CA near John Wayne Airport in the Park Place development. For our onsite and hybrid employees you will be able to enjoy amenities such as access to many restaurants and shops, running trails, a fitness deck, outdoor seating, dry cleaning, car wash, free garage parking, car charging stations, shuttle service for train commuters, outdoor games like bocce, horseshoes, gaming tables, pickle ball, and basketball. For more information on Park Place visit www.parkplaceirvine.com
Who We Are:
Ever wonder who brings the entertainment to your flights? Panasonic Avionics Corporation is #1 in the industry for delivering inflight products such as movies, games, WiFi, and now Bluetooth headphone connectivity!
How exciting would it be to be a part of the innovation that goes into creating technology that delights millions of people in an industry that’s here to stay! With our company’s history spanning over 40 years, you will have stability, career growth opportunities, and will work with the brightest minds in the industry. And we are committed to a diverse and inclusive culture that will help our organization thrive! We seek diversity in many areas such as background, culture, gender, ways of thinking, skills and more.
Manage Data Platform engineering team in a highly agile environment, focused on efficient operation of daily activities, and continuous improvement for development, monitoring and automation. As Sr. Manager of Data Platform, you will work with the data engineering team to design and implement best practices in Data Engineering, Data Warehousing, Master Data Management, deployment automation and monitoring to ensure systems are highly available, elastically scalable, fault tolerant and performant.
As Sr. Manager you will Deliver analytics capabilities across multiple business lines and portfolio to achieve a true Enterprise Data paradigm using DevOps model that supports product vision and aligns with DaaS, Self-Service analytics, Big Data analytics, powerful artificial intelligence-powered business strategy.
What you will be doing:
Data Engineering and Data Platform:
- Mentor, lead and manage a growing team of data engineers, setting goals, tracking progress, reviewing performance and assisting personnel with career growth and advancement.
- Lead, manage, and mentor data engineers to deliver high-quality data projects using open-source frameworks and Cloud Technologies, with a particular focus on AWS cloud data platforms
- Drive and own the Panasonic Avionics Data Platform and Enterprise Data Hub that provides single source of truth for master and reference data for products, services, and systems across enterprise.
- Drive the design and implementation of modern cloud data architectures, with a strong emphasis on AWS-based solutions, and contribute to evangelizing these technologies within the organization.
- Recruit and hire engineering talent as needed focused on data platform and building a scalable enterprise data hub.
- Apply architectural and engineering concepts to design solutions that meet operational requirements, including scalability, maintainability, flexibility, reliability, and availability.
- Take ownership of the management of production support SLAs, focusing on optimizing performance while minimizing cost.
- Ensure the highest data quality standards are maintained within the AWS cloud data platform, leveraging innovative strategies and technologies to ensure accuracy and consistency.
- Align with overall product and technology roadmap and plan for team and department needs to meet roadmap requirements including staffing, technology innovations/updates, etc.
- Actively participate in architecture, design, and code reviews for the data engineering team, providing constructive feedback and facilitating continuous improvement.
- Promote a DevOps culture and mindset from development, testing, and deployment perspectives, underlining the importance of swift and efficient operational execution.
- Work collaboratively in a DevOps culture with a talented data platform engineering team to build & support systems in Cloud based platforms using contemporary technologies.
- Communicate issues or project details effectively with direct reports, peers and managers.
- Drive the engineering effort extract, transform and load (ETL) scripts for moving and curating data into data sets for storage and maximize use by a data lake, data platform on the Cloud infrastructure.
- Drive the implementation of the architecture, engineering, operations of the deployed solutions in production to deliver high quality software.
- Responsible for leading the CI/CD maturity journey of the data software engineering team.
- Partner and influence other engineering teams in the evolution of shared technologies.
- Engage in product discussions, influence the paradigm, capabilities roadmap, and guide technical direction.
- Evolve an agile delivery model that builds on a very collaborative, open and rapid interaction between intent providers and technology execution.
- Work with stakeholders in the Technology organization to identify and define the next generation opportunities and drive a game changing strategy driven by technology.
- Drive development of proofs of concept and prototypes for new technologies and products.
- Ensure compliance with regulatory guidelines related to data, PII, geo and customer-specific requirements.
- Responsible for maintaining a high level of service availability.
- Monitor and test application performance for potential bottlenecks, identify possible solutions, and work with developers to implement those fixes.
- Work with a team of engineers taking ownership for the scalability, performance, reliability, security and maintenance of production deployments.
- Delivery of high performance and highly scalable software solutions using platform services at an optimized cost point with Cloud providers (AWS, Azure, GCP, etc.).
- Build fully automated CI/CD pipelines for Data platform software deployments, including infrastructure configuration, test automation and deployment automation for all solutions.
- Mentor and develop data engineers, encouraging innovation, timely project completion, and career growth.
- Act as a communicator, ensuring that team members, stakeholders, and other relevant parties are kept abreast of team activities, project statuses, and strategic decisions.
- Directly manages data engineering teams to deliver technology solutions across multiple business and product lines in support of business strategy and growth.
- Recruit, motivate, mentor, and lead the best Data software engineering talent and enable our diverse, inclusive and customer centric culture.
- Support vendor evaluation, strategic planning, staff planning and management, budget, and system forecasting, change management, systems security, systems performance monitoring, reporting, and partner support.
- Collaboration with other internal groups and customers to improve product support services.
- Manage team in an agile approach to ensure objectives are achieved Maintain up-to-date knowledge of technology standards, industry trends, emerging technologies, and software development best practices.
The salary range of $126,000 - $211,000 is just one component of Panasonic’s total package. The final offer amount may vary based on factors including but not limited to individual’s knowledge, skills, experience, and location. In addition, this role may be eligible for discretionary bonuses and incentives.
Base pay offered may vary depending on skills, experience, job-related knowledge and location.
What we are looking for:
- 5+ years of data engineering management experience with a proven track record of leading engineering teams to deliver world-class data solutions.
- BS or MS in Computer Science, Engineering, Physics, Math, or related fields or equivalent work experience.
- 10+ years' experience as an established technical leader of Data and Software Engineering Teams.
- 8+ years of experience managing Data platform, Enterprise data lakes, data lake houses, data warehouses.
- 5+ years’ experience establishing data governance policies, practices and frameworks in large enterprises
- 8+ years of hands-on experience managing highly scalable distributed systems.
- 8+ years minimum years’ experience of product engineering and support in the global environments
- 8+ years of experience as an established technical leader of engineering teams, with proven track record of successfully delivering services.
- 5+ years of experience using AWS cloud technologies to implement scalable data lake house architectures, enterprise data hubs, data services platform.
- 5+ years of experience with enterprise data engineering and platform technologies like Redshift, Snowflake, Data Bricks, or similar.
- 5+ years of experience in Linux/Unix environments.
- 5+ years managing and mentoring technical talent.
- 5+ years’ Experience managing direct reports and developing resources.
- Demonstrates strong leadership skills, with a proven track record of building and managing high-performing data engineering teams.
- Experience in successfully building and deploying a data platform on AWS using Redshift, snowflake, data bricks or similar showcasing both strategic and technical insight.
- Experience leading and managing complex data engineering initiatives from inception to completion including delivering business value.
- Experience managing large scale data platform infrastructure and operations including resourcing, performance, monitoring and SLA’s.
- Knowledge and experience with data engineering productivity toolchains and concepts (CI/CD, DevOps, GitHub, Jira, Confluence, Agile Scrum/Kanban, etc.).
- Solid experience and working knowledge of cloud computing architectures and big data architectures.
- Working experience of modern engineering operations duties, including providing the necessary tools and infrastructure to support high performance development and QA teams.
- Proven experience leading positive change, empowering people, cultivating technology visions and innovative solutions, and fostering effective engineering practices and culture.
- Experience with Agile development, techniques, and methodologies and with CI/CD.
- Experience in driving process improvements, with a strong focus on leveraging technology for the establishment of fluid interactions and interfaces between teams.
- Exceptional verbal, written communication, and organizational skills, along with interpersonal skills that allow for collaboration across a diverse group of people.
- Experience working with structured, unstructured data sources and good understanding of data security standards for managing PII.
- Had good understanding of data privacy standards - PCI-DSS, GDPR, CCPA, etc to manage data management standards for data at rest and data in motion.
- Experience using AWS technologies such as EC2, ECS, RDS, Redshift, CloudWatch, QuickSight, Glue, S3, CloudFront, Route53, ELB/ALB and Elasti Caache, Kinesis, under production workloads.
- Perform quality reviews, manage operations, and triage operational issues.
- Creation and adherence to industry/customer accepted SLAs.
- Hands-on experience working within both on-premise, Public (AWS and/or Azure) Cloud environments.
- Must be willing to travel (roughly 10% of the time).
Contribution to Society | Fairness & Honesty | Cooperation & Team Spirit | Untiring Effort for Improvement | Courtesy & Humility | Adaptability | Gratitude
What we offer:
At Panasonic Avionics Corporation we realize the most important aspects in leading our industry are the bright minds behind everything we do. We are proud to offer our employees a highly competitive, comprehensive and flexible benefits program.
- Paid time off: Exempt Salaried employees receive unlimited PTO. This means that there is no fixed number, range, or limit to the amount of Personal and Vacation Days that may be taken for exempt employees. Non-exempt hourly employees accrue 14 vacation days per year + 7 sick days + 3 personal days. Accrual rate increases with tenure. All employees receive 11 company paid holidays per year plus a paid company-wide shut down in the U.S. between Christmas and New Year.
- Insurance: Medical insurance offerings from Aetna and Kaiser (CA &HI). Options for Employee Only, Employee + Spouse/Domestic Partner, Employee + Children, or Family. Dental PPO and DMO options & Vision insurance through EyeMed or VSP.
- 401K with 50% match on up to 8% contribution, full vested from day 1
- Other offerings include: Wellness Program, Counseling services, FSA & HSA, Life Insurance for employee, spouse and child, AD&D Insurance, Long-term and Short-term disability, Critical Illness Insurance, Accident Insurance, Legal Assistance, Pet Insurance, Identity Theft Protection, Dependent Care FLSA, Education Assistance, Commuter Program, Employee Purchase Program, Service Award Program.
All applicants are subject to Company policies, third party customer and worksite requirements, and government requirements, regarding vaccination and/or testing for COVID-19. Where permitted by applicable law, applicants may be required to be fully vaccinated with an authorized COVID-19 vaccine as a condition of employment, unless they are eligible for and obtain an exemption based on a reasonable accommodation because of a disability or a sincerely held religious belief, practice, or observance. While the Company strongly encourages COVID-19 vaccinations, it may require vaccination and/or testing for positions in which third party customer, worksite, or government requirements apply, in accordance with applicable law. At those locations where requirements apply, exemptions will be considered based on applicable law.
Panasonic is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by law or company policy. All qualified individuals are required to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation. Pre-employment drug testing is required for safety sensitive positions or as may otherwise be required by contract or law. Due to the high volume of responses, we will only be able to respond to candidates of interest. All candidates must have valid authorization to work in the U.S. Thank you for your interest in Panasonic Avionics Corporation.