- Design, implement, and troubleshoot controls systems and instrumentation, including a variety of building process systems (pumps, valves, sensors, etc.) and building systems (HVAC, Life Safety Systems, etc.).
- Advanced proficiency in programming industrial process: PLCs (Allen Bradley, Omron, Mitsubishi, etc.) and Human Machine Interface (HMI / GUI - Ignition, PanelView, etc.)
- Ability to program building system PLCs with data acquisition and PID control. Proven ability to design fault-tolerant systems with error handling and recovery.
- Proficiency programming and tuning variable frequency drives (ABB, Rockwell, etc.).
- Configuration of controls networks including: Field bus Networks (ProfiNet, DeviceNet, Ethernet/IP, Safety-rated field bus networks), Serial communication (Modbus, RS-232, Ethernet communications between machine PLCs and database systems).
- Proficiency selecting appropriate circuit protectors, wire and cable, sensors, safety hardware, PLC hardware, remote I/O, VFDs, and instrumentation.
- Program and troubleshoot Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) systems for monitoring facility systems (Ignition).
- Design, implement, and troubleshoot a secure and reliable industrial network to support communication between devices on the network (e.g., peer communication between PLCs and PLC communication with SCADA drivers).
- Assist with development and execution of the controls-related scope in facility expansion and sustaining projects (e.g., Process and Instrumentation Diagrams, Sequence of Operations, I/O lists, panel drawings, instrumentations lists, etc.).
- Understand industrial equipment and processes, their operating parameters, and make decisions (with engineering support) to improve or maintain the associated controls and instrumentation hardware and software.
- Provide technical controls support for the 24-hour operations team.
- Ensure projects and systems are compliant with applicable codes and standards (e.g., National Electric Code, International Society of Automation, etc.).
- Influence supplier performance via management and audits of work performed in the field.
- Develop relationships and communicate with engineers across disciplines and at other Panasonic sites to foster best practice sharing and communication.
- Other duties as assigned.
Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) Requirements:
- To ensure the health and safety in the workplace and for the protection of our employees, wearing PPE is a requirement for some roles at Panasonic and may include equipment such as a full Tyvek suit, safety shoes, gloves, safety glasses, face mask, bump cap, and a full hazmat suit that includes a respirator.
The foregoing description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills and efforts or work conditions associated with the job. It is intended to be an accurate reflection of the general nature and level of the job.
- Bachelor’s Degree in an Engineering discipline or related engineering field with an aptitude for Controls / Electrical / Instrumentation topics.
- 5+ years of relevant Controls Engineering and PLC/SCADA programming experience.
- Experience with PLCs and SCADA systems.
- Skills and experience necessary to satisfy the required “Essential Duties”.
- Strong technical leadership with excellent organizational and verbal skills.
- Knowledge of and comfort with Microsoft Office Suite software including Access, Excel, Word, PowerPoint.
- Ability and proficiency in collecting, analyzing, and presenting technical information to non-technical audiences.
- Able to manage multiple concurrent tasks in a fast-paced environment, effectively prioritize work, and deliver quality results.
- Self-starter who works well independently and an outstanding ability to follow up with minimal direction by seeking answers and a focus on team success.
- Able to make appropriate decisions when confronted with obstacles, think about them before acting, and consistently resolve issues in creative and effective ways.
- A strong work ethic with a “get the job done” approach and consistently delivers excellent customer service, both internally and externally.
- Intuitive, adaptable, creative, and collaborative with excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Collaborative nature with strong team building skills and willing to learn from and accept guidance from others.
- Must have working-level knowledge of the English language, including reading, writing, and speaking English.
- Experience in application of controls and instrumentation for process systems (process cooling water, hot water, air systems, exhaust, chem/gas distribution, etc.).
- Experience with Rockwell Automation/Allen Bradley, Honeywell, Omron or Mitsubishi PLCs (PLC hardware and software).
- Experience programming with FactoryTalk, Wonderware/AVEVA InTouch, Ignition or other SCADA development platforms.
- Experience in industrial network design, configuration, installation, maintenance, security strategies, troubleshooting, etc.
- Basic understanding and programming of PID loop tuning.
- Able to terminate instrumentation to a controller and perform calibration through the program interface.
- Able to troubleshoot alarms, field instrumentation, pneumatic and electric control valves, variable speed drives and motor starters.
- Experience managing multi-discipline projects.
- Able to respond quickly to potentially critical situations, perform rapid, accurate assessments, identify causes of failures, determine appropriate corrective actions, and implement these corrections promptly to mitigate the effects of system upsets.
- Proficient with PC hardware and windows-based applications.
- Alignment to Panasonic’s seven (7) core principles (contribution to society, fairness and honesty, cooperation and team spirit, untiring effort for improvement, courtesy and humility, adaptability, gratitude).
Physical Activities: (Percentage of time (equaling 100%) during the normal workday the employee is required to)
- Sit: 40%
- Walk: 20%
- Stand: 30%
- Lift: 10%
Required Lifting and Carrying: (Required frequency is: Not required (0%), Occasional (1-33%), Frequent (34-66%, Continuous (67-100%)
- Up to 10 lbs.: Occasional
- Up to 20 lbs.: Occasional
- Up to 35 lbs.: Occasional
- Team-lift only (over 35 lbs.): Not Required
Panasonic Energy of North America is building a massive battery factory near De Soto, Kansas. Panasonic's is manufacturing and supplying cylindrical lithium-ion cells for electric vehicles and energy storage systems.
Our mission at Panasonic Energy is to make the vision of affordable Electric Vehicles a reality by producing the world’s safest, high quality, and lowest cost batteries. Through this effort we will create a clean energy society and our products will change society’s use of and perceptions of electric power. In addition to an environment that is as innovative as our products, we offer competitive salaries and benefits.
Pre-employment drug testing is required. Due to the high volume of responses, we will only be able to respond to candidates of interest. All candidates must have valid authorization to work in the U.S. without restriction.
Panasonic is an Equal Opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by law. All qualified individuals are required to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation.
Thank you for your interest in Panasonic Energy of North America.