Senior Design Engineer
Monday through Friday
Panasonic Energy of North America (PENA) is seeking ambitious engineers to lead the world’s largest lithium ion battery initiative. With superior battery designs and the fastest manufacturing lines in the world, Panasonic is producing millions of batteries per day at the Gigafactory to support Tesla’s electric vehicle and energy storage businesses. Panasonic invites you to join us in this ongoing full-scale effort to electrify our society. At PENA, engineers quickly become experts in the fundamentals of lithium-ion cell technology and work to integrate that understanding with high speed, automated manufacturing methods to produce the highest performance and highest quality lithium ion batteries.
- Develop and implement IoT and robotic systems to accelerate on-going efforts towards Industry 4.0.
- Conduct research and development work for automated transportation of raw materials.
- Study the current process to determine improvement to material movement.
- Use engineering tools to evaluate different methods to move materials with a focus on automation.
- Follow engineering change standards to test and implement improvements to existing material movement methods.
- Interface with battery and equipment development teams to develop, qualify and launch new transportation methods.
- Work with other departments to execute projects to reduce loss and improve quality.
- Provide engineering support to production teams to resolve manufacturing process issues.
- Analyze operating procedures and functions of equipment and machinery to reduce time and loss of manufacturing processes.
- Work closely with other team members to understand failure modes and improve battery performance and life expectancy.
- Other duties may be assigned.
Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) Requirements:
- To ensure the health and safety in the workplace and for the protection of our employees, wearing PPE is a possibility and may include equipment such as a full Tyvek suit, safety shoes, gloves, safety glasses, face mask, bump cap, and a full hazmat suit that includes a respirator.
The foregoing description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills and efforts or work conditions associated with the job. It is intended to be an accurate reflection of the general nature and level of the job.
Qualifications: Requirements - Required and/or Preferred
- Basic: Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering or similar discipline.
- Preferred: Master’s Degree in Engineering or similar discipline.
- Panasonic Energy of North America does not sponsor applicants for work visas for this position.
- Evidence of exceptional ability in project execution. Panasonic follows a culture of full-cycle engineering where members will have full responsibility and accountability for their projects from start to finish. We are looking for the best of the best.
- Experience performing engineering functions and responsibilities in a manufacturing environment.
- Ability and proficiency in collecting, analyzing, and presenting data.
- Able to manage multiple concurrent tasks in a fast-paced environment, effectively prioritize work, and deliver quality results.
- Self-starter who works well independently and an outstanding ability to follow up with minimal direction and will focus on team success.
- A strong work ethic with a “get the job done” approach who consistently delivers excellent customer service, both internally and externally.
- Intuitive, adaptable, creative, and collaborative with excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- 3+ years of experience in a relevant industry.
- Familiarity with AGVs, AMRs, VGVs is a plus.
- Familiarity with ASRS is a plus.
- Awareness of Inventory Control and Supply Chain
- Familiarity with interfacing to databases, information management and reporting applications used for MES/SCADA systems is preferred.
- Proficiency in AutoCAD, SolidWorks, CATIA or equivalent is preferred.
- Experience working with machine shops and fabricating machine parts.
- Familiarity with six sigma methodologies and tools and DMAIC.
Physical Activities: (Percentage of time (equaling 100%) during the normal workday the employee is required to)
- Stand: 20%
Tools and/or Equipment: (Required frequency is: Not required (0%), Occasional (1-33%), Frequent (34-66%, Continuous (67-100%)
- Office Equipment:Continuous
Required Lifting and Carrying: (Required frequency is: Not required (0%), Occasional (1-33%), Frequent (34-66%, Continuous (67-100%)
- Up to 10 lbs.:Frequent
- Up to 20 lbs.:Frequent
- Up to 35 lbs.:Frequent
- Team-lift only (over 35 lbs.):Frequent
Panasonic Energy of North America (PENA) is collaborating with Tesla at a massive battery factory near Reno, Nevada which is known for its quality of life and expansive outdoor adventures. Panasonic's role at the Gigafactory is to manufacture and supply cylindrical lithium-ion cells to Tesla for their electric vehicles and energy storage systems.
Over the past few years, the Gigafactory has grown to the largest lithium-ion battery factory in the world. Together with our partner Tesla, we continue to revolutionize the lithium-ion battery space and accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable energy and transportation.
Our mission at PENA is to make the vision of affordable Electric Vehicles a reality by producing the world’s safest, high quality, and lowest cost batteries. Through this effort we will create a clean energy society and our products will change society’s use of and perceptions of electric power.
In addition to an environment that is as innovative as our products, we offer competitive salaries and benefits.
Pre-employment drug testing is required. Due to the high volume of responses, we will only be able to respond to candidates of interest. All candidates must have valid authorization to work in the U.S. without restriction.
Panasonic is an Equal Opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by law. All qualified individuals are required to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation.
Thank you for your interest in Panasonic Energy of North America.