Sr. Data Scientist
Monday - Friday
As a Sr. Data Scientist with Panasonic Energy, you will work in a mission-critical and growth-driven environment. You will be responsible for the analyzing massive data sets, building complex models, and proactively identifying problems to support an industry-leading battery assembly line. You will work closely with developers, engineers, project managers, and various other stakeholders to drive significant improvements in efficiency, delivery, resilience,
and overall employee well-being across the company.
- Leading development of machine learning models/predictive analysis techniques including both repeatable patterns in data and discovering new features that reduce variability in manufacturing process.
- Understanding business needs and developing methods and tools to find patterns in structured and unstructured manufacturing data.
- Leading the team in requirements gathering to deployment in production
- Experience in pyspark and foundry tools
- Prototyping and implementing creative solutions for improving battery quality and performance and interface with cross-functional teams to execute the solution.
- Providing data analysis support to production teams to resolve complex manufacturing process issues.
- Working closely with other team members from different processes to increase understanding of failure modes, performance, and life expectancy of battery products.
- Educating other members on statistical analysis and data science.
- Other duties may be assigned.
Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) Requirements:
- To ensure the health and safety in the workplace and for the protection of our employees, wearing PPE is a requirement for some roles at PENA and may include equipment such as a full Tyvek suit, safety shoes, gloves, safety glasses, face mask, bump cap, and a full hazmat suit that includes a respirator.
The foregoing description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills and efforts or work conditions associated with the job. It is intended to be an accurate reflection of the general nature and level of the job.
Qualifications: Requirements - Required and/or Preferred
- Basic/Required: Bachelor’s Degree in engineering, computer science, applied math, or related field.
- Preferred: M.S. or higher degree in a technical discipline with an emphasis on machine learning.
- 4+ years of data science experience within industry.
- Excellent knowledge of machine learning algorithms, classification, clustering, regression analysis, Bayesian modeling, probability theory, and information retrieval.
- Excellent understanding of manufacturing/engineering principles and capability of combining practical knowledge and results via data mining to optimize product quality and performance and manufacturing process.
- Proficiency in Python programming language
- Proficiency with statistical analysis tools (e.g., JMP, R, SAS).
- Familiarity with high-volume automated manufacturing operations.
- Experience working side-by-side with engineers and other technical members.
- Strong communication skills and ability to present complex information in an understandable way to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Knowledge or experience of Dash or Tableau
Physical Activities: (Percentage of time (equaling 100%) during the normal workday the employee is required to)
- Sit: 40%
- Walk: 30%
- Stand: 20%
- Lift: 10%
Required Lifting and Carrying: (Required frequency is: Not required (0%), Occasional (1-33%), Frequent (34-66%, Continuous (67-100%)
- Up to 10 lbs.: Occasional
- Up to 20 lbs.: Occasional
- Up to 35 lbs.: Occasional
- Team-lift only (over 35 lbs.): Not Required
Panasonic Energy of North America (PENA) is collaborating with Tesla at a massive battery factory near Reno, Nevada which is known for its quality of life and expansive outdoor adventures. Panasonic's role at the Gigafactory is to manufacture and supply cylindrical lithium-ion cells to Tesla for their electric vehicles and energy storage systems.
Over the past few years, the Gigafactory has grown to the largest lithium-ion battery factory in the world. Together with our partner Tesla, we continue to revolutionize the lithium-ion battery space and accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable energy and transportation.
Our mission at PENA is to make the vision of affordable Electric Vehicles a reality by producing the world’s safest, high quality, and lowest cost batteries. Through this effort we will create a clean energy society and our products will change society’s use of and perceptions of electric power.
In addition to an environment that is as innovative as our products, we offer competitive salaries and benefits.
Pre-employment drug testing is required. Due to the high volume of responses, we will only be able to respond to candidates of interest. All candidates must have valid authorization to work in the U.S. without restriction.
Panasonic is an Equal Opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by law. All qualified individuals are required to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation.
Thank you for your interest in Panasonic Energy of North America.