Senior Controls Engineer
This is a unique opportunity for a strong Senior Controls Engineer to join PENA’s SCADA Team. You will use your technical acumen within manufacturing, PLC and Controls and apply those skills to SCADA development. In this role, we are willing to teach you SCADA. Therefore, we are looking for candidates with a strong learning acumen, innate technical curiosity and willing to immerse yourself in SCADA technology.
- Designing, validating, and installing automation systems to improve reliability and defect rate of electrode manufacturing processes.
- Identifying, validating, and integrating applicable sensors into electrode manufacturing processes to support process improvement projects.
- Developing robust feedback programs based off machine/sensor data.
- Preparing or directing preparation of product or system layout and detailed drawings and schematics.
- Preparing of thorough system design summaries and plans (including cost, facilities, timeline, data, and resource considerations) to present to relevant engineering/production teams for design review.
- Directing and coordinating manufacturing or building of prototype products or systems.
- Designing and running validation tests and mass production trials for new programs/equipment.
- Analyzing, interpreting, and summarizing data from validation tests and mass production trials.
- Collaborating across engineering, quality, and production departments in development, testing, and introduction of new equipment, programs, and automation systems.
- Coordinating support/maintenance of new equipment, programs, and automation systems once introduced into mass production.
- Engaging and collaborating with development teams during systems design and testing.
- Programming, installing, and troubleshooting PLC systems such as Mitsubishi and Omron within Panasonic’s battery manufacturing processes.
- Programming, installing, and troubleshooting Keyence vision systems within Panasonic’s battery manufacturing processes.
- Providing technical information concerning manufacturing or processing techniques, materials, properties, and process advantages and limitations which affect long range plant and product engineering planning.
- Other duties may be assigned.
The foregoing description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills and efforts or work conditions associated with the job. It is intended to be an accurate reflection of the general nature and level of the job.
Qualifications: Requirements - Required and/or Preferred
- Basic: Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or related field.
- 8+ years of controls engineering experience.
- Prior experience with automation systems development and integration.
- Prior experience with validation and introduction of new/improved sensors to mass production lines.
- Ability to design and integrate changes on HMIs.
- Working knowledge of installing and tuning PID controllers.
- Must possess excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to manage time and projects independently.
- Ability to cooperate and work with related departments including overseas.
- Ability to work within current machine controls systems and infrastructure to introduce improvements.
- Experience programming, installing, and troubleshooting manufacturing image vision systems such as Keyence and Cognex
- Experience programming, installing, and troubleshooting PLC systems such as Mitsubishi and Omron
- Background working in a high-volume manufacturing environment.
- Understanding of electrical hardware, drawings, sequence control, ladder logic, and software design.
- Flexibility to independently solve issues with first principles thinking.
- Must have working-level knowledge of the English language, including reading, writing and speaking English.
- Ability to lead automation/controls aspects of improvement project from development phase through validation and introduction to mass production line.
- Ability to effectively summarize complex engineering systems/concepts into presentations for management approval.
- Familiarity with wiring/cabling size/terminations and load/temperature requirements.
- Familiarity with industrial machinery design & related NFPA codes:
- 79 (and related UL standards for industrial machinery)
- Knowledge regarding electrical requirements in hazardous locations (Class I, Division 2).
- Experience with 480 V panel installations.
- Control wiring design.
- Experience with energy usage/optimization.
- Knowledge and handling about American environmental laws and UL (Underwriters Laboratories).
- Knowledge of statistical techniques and data sampling for process/equipment validation.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, including Access, Outlook, PowerPoint, Excel and Word and have the ability to use the computer to complete online learning requirements for -specific competencies, access online forms and policies, complete online benefits enrollment.
Panasonic Energy of North America (PENA) is collaborating with Tesla Motors, Inc. in a large-scale advanced battery manufacturing facility known as the Gigafactory near Reno, Nevada which is known for its quality of life and expansive outdoor adventures. Panasonic manufactures and supplies cylindrical lithium-ion cells for the world’s leading electric vehicle manufacturer, Tesla Motors, Inc. Based on the battery demand from Tesla, the Gigafactory is producing cells which will double the world’s current production.
Our mission at PENA is to make the vision of affordable Electric Vehicles a reality by production of the world’s safest, highest-quality, and lowest-cost batteries. Through this effort we will create a clean energy society and our products will change society’s use of and perceptions of electric power.
In addition to an environment that’s as innovative as our products, we offer competitive compensation and benefits. Panasonic is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer.
Pre-employment drug testing is required. Due to the high volume of responses, we will only be able to respond to candidates of interest. All candidates must have valid authorization to work in the U.S. without restriction.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by law. All qualified individuals are required to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation.
Thank you for your interest in Panasonic Energy of North America.