At PENA, engineers quickly become experts in the fundamentals of lithium-ion cell technology and work to integrate that understanding with high speed, automated manufacturing methods to produce the highest performance and highest quality lithium ion batteries.
- Investigate, evaluate, and fully document existing controls system architecture(s).
- Lead the research, testing, and implementation of controls systems and components as they pertain to improving production equipment and achieving industry 4.0 standards.
- Assist with industry 4.0 efforts.
- Lead the controls design, validation, and installation of automation systems to improve reliability and defect rate of current manufacturing processes.
- Determine the feasibility of designing new plant equipment or modifying existing equipment considering costs, available space, time limitations, company planning, and other technical and economic factors.
- Confer with Manufacturing, Quality, and Engineering personnel to clarify or resolve problems and develop countermeasures.
- Prepare or direct preparation of product or system layouts, detailed drawings, and schematics.
- Analyze test data and reports to determine if design meets functional and performance specifications.
- Evaluate engineering test results for possible application to developments of systems or other uses.
- Lead investigation into manufacturing equipment failures and design or consulting on countermeasures from controls systems perspective
- Other duties may be assigned.
Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) Requirements:
- To ensure the health and safety in the workplace and for the protection of our employees, wearing PPE is a possibility and may include equipment such as a full Tyvek suit, safety shoes, gloves, safety glasses, face mask, bump cap, and a full hazmat suit that includes a respirator.
Qualifications: Requirements - Required and/or Preferred
- Basic/Required: Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or similar discipline.
- Preferred: Master’s Degree in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or similar discipline.
- Minimum of 8+ years of controls engineering experience.
- Panasonic Energy of North America does not sponsor applicants for work visas for this position.
- Evidence of exceptional ability. Panasonic follows a culture of full-cycle engineering where members will have full responsibility and accountability for their projects from start to finish. We are looking for the best of the best.
- Experience programming, installing, and troubleshooting ladder-logic based PLC systems such as Mitsubishi, Omron, Allen-Bradley, Siemens, or similar.
- Background working in a high-volume manufacturing environment.
- Understanding of electrical hardware, drawings, sequence control and software design.
- Ability to cooperate and work with related departments including overseas.
- Flexibility to solve issues with first principles thinking.
- Strong computer skills with Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Familiarity with wiring/cabling size/terminations and load/temperature requirements.
- Familiarity with industrial machinery design & related NFPA codes:
- 79 (and related UL standards for industrial machinery)
- Knowledge regarding electrical requirements in hazardous locations (Class I, Div 2).
- Experience with up to 480 V panel installations.
- Control wiring design.
- Experience with energy usage/optimization.
- Knowledge and handling about American environmental laws and UL (Underwriters Laboratories).
Physical Activities: (Percentage of time (equaling 100%) during the normal workday the employee is required to)
- Sit: 20%
- Walk: 50%
- Stand: 20%
- Lift: 10%
Tools and/or Equipment: (Required frequency is: Not required (0%), Occasional (1-33%), Frequent (34-66%, Continuous (67-100%)
- Keyboard/Computer: Continuous
- Office Equipment: Continuous
- Phone Continuous
Required Lifting and Carrying: (Required frequency is: Not required (0%), Occasional (1-33%), Frequent (34-66%, Continuous (67-100%)
- Up to 10 lbs.: Frequent
- Up to 20 lbs.: Frequent
- Up to 35 lbs.: Frequent
- Team-lift only (over 35 lbs.): Frequent