Sr. Cell Testing Engineer
Panasonic Energy of North America (PENA) is seeking ambitious engineers to lead the world’s largest lithium ion battery initiative. With superior battery designs and the fastest manufacturing lines in the world, Panasonic is producing millions of batteries per day at the Gigafactory to support Tesla’s electric vehicle and energy storage businesses. Panasonic invites you to join us in this ongoing full-scale effort to electrify our society. At PENA, engineers quickly become experts in the fundamentals of lithium-ion cell technology and work to integrate that understanding with high speed, automated manufacturing methods to produce the highest performance and highest quality lithium ion batteries.
- Lead Engineering teams to fabricate, install, and validate new test equipment as well as repair and debug issues with existing equipment.
- Develop novel tests for studying various cell properties under different conditions.
- Write and maintain standard operating procedures (SOP) for test equipment.
- Train junior Engineers and technicians on equipment and SOPs incorporating user feedback.
- Lead experiments to better understand the implications of different battery cell designs parameters on cell life and usage.
- Working closely with international Engineering teams to increase understanding of failure modes, performance, and life expectancy of cells.
- Develop and optimize analytical methods to understand the effect of manufacturing processes on cell quality.
- Leverage solid troubleshooting skills and ability to quickly solve unknown problems.
- Employ FMEA methodologies to define and evaluate cell specifications.
- Set specifications for performance to help development of battery cells using experimental evidence.
- Other duties may be assigned.
Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) Requirements:
- To ensure the health and safety in the workplace and for the protection of our employees, wearing PPE is a possibility and may include equipment such as a full Tyvek suit, safety shoes, gloves, safety glasses, face mask, bump cap, and a full hazmat suit that includes a respirator.
The foregoing description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills and efforts or work conditions associated with the job. It is intended to be an accurate reflection of the general nature and level of the job.
Qualifications: Requirements - Required and/or Preferred
- Basic: Bachelor’s Degree in Chemical Engineering, Materials Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Industrial Engineering, or similar discipline.
- Preferred: M.S. or Ph.D. in Chemical Engineering, Materials Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Industrial Engineering, or similar discipline.
- Evidence of exceptional ability. Panasonic follows a culture of full-cycle engineering where members will have full responsibility and accountability for their projects from start to finish. We are looking for the best of the best.
- 5+ years of experience testing the electrochemical and physical properties of Lithium-ion cells.
- Strong application and demonstration of test design and setup, data acquisition, and analysis.
- The ability to use experimental design and statistical analysis to solve problems.
- Must possess strong engineering fundamentals in mechanical, thermal, materials and electrical engineering.
- Demonstrate an expertise in Li-ion chemistry and cell development.
- Should be flexible with the working environment and be able to perform job duties between manufacturing floor, laboratory and office/desk.
- Capable of leading cell, machine, and process troubleshooting and apply root cause analysis.
- Strong team working skills with other employees at all levels of an organization.
- Self-starter who works well independently and an outstanding ability to follow up with minimal direction and will focus on team success.
- Able to manage multiple concurrent tasks in a fast-paced environment, effectively prioritize work, and deliver quality results.
- A strong work ethic with a “get the job done” approach who consistently delivers excellent customer service, both internally and externally.
- 10+ years of experience testing the electrochemical and physical properties of Lithium-ion cells.
- Demonstrated excellence with test design and setup, data acquisition, and analysis.
- Experience leading root-cause investigations, resolutions, and product improvements.
- Proficient in analyzing electrochemical datasets and effectively communicating the extracted cell performance parameters.
- Experience with hands on cell fabrication and disassembly.
- Experience interfacing to databases, information management, and reporting applications used for MES/SCADA systems is preferred.
- Strong data analysis skills with tools such as JMP, Minitab, Python, MATLAB, are highly desired.
Physical Activities: (Percentage of time (equaling 100%) during the normal workday the employee is required to)
- Stand: 20%
Tools and/or Equipment: (Required frequency is: Not required (0%), Occasional (1-33%), Frequent (34-66%, Continuous (67-100%)
- Office Equipment:Continuous
Required Lifting and Carrying: (Required frequency is: Not required (0%), Occasional (1-33%), Frequent (34-66%, Continuous (67-100%)
- Up to 10 lbs.:Frequent
- Up to 20 lbs.:Frequent
- Up to 35 lbs.:Frequent
- Team-lift only (over 35 lbs.):Frequent
Panasonic Energy of North America (PENA) is collaborating with Tesla at a massive battery factory near Reno, Nevada which is known for its quality of life and expansive outdoor adventures. Panasonic's role at the Gigafactory is to manufacture and supply cylindrical lithium-ion cells to Tesla for their electric vehicles and energy storage systems.
Over the past few years, the Gigafactory has grown to the largest lithium-ion battery factory in the world. Together with our partner Tesla, we continue to revolutionize the lithium-ion battery space and accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable energy and transportation.
Our mission at PENA is to make the vision of affordable Electric Vehicles a reality by producing the world’s safest, high quality, and lowest cost batteries. Through this effort we will create a clean energy society and our products will change society’s use of and perceptions of electric power.
In addition to an environment that is as innovative as our products, we offer competitive salaries and benefits.
Pre-employment drug testing is required. Due to the high volume of responses, we will only be able to respond to candidates of interest. All candidates must have valid authorization to work in the U.S. without restriction.
Panasonic is an Equal Opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by law. All qualified individuals are required to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation.
Thank you for your interest in Panasonic Energy of North America.
Connect with the recruiter, Joe Richie: www.linkedin.com/in/GigafactoryRecruiter