Senior Battery Engineer
Panasonic Energy of North America (PENA) is seeking ambitious engineers to lead the world’s largest lithium ion battery initiative. With superior battery designs and the fastest manufacturing lines in the world, Panasonic is producing millions of batteries per day at the Gigafactory to support Tesla’s electric vehicle and energy storage businesses. Panasonic invites you to join us in this ongoing full-scale effort to electrify our society. At PENA, engineers quickly become experts in the fundamentals of lithium-ion cell technology and work to integrate that understanding with high speed, automated manufacturing methods to produce the highest performance and highest quality lithium ion batteries.
- Being part of Panasonic’s formation process. The formation group is responsible for the systems that carry out charging and discharging of the batteries under multiple sets of conditions.
- Conducting research and development work for battery cell formation and testing process to improve cell formation process on safety, quality, and productivity with new and existing production lines.
- Analyzing and evaluating battery cell electrical performance data collected in laboratory experiments and pre-production operations to determine direct and interaction effects of the formation equipment and processes under evaluation.
- Analyzing operating procedures and functions of battery cell formation equipment and process to reduce time and cost of formation processes.
- Performing root cause analysis to systematically identify and fix sources of defects.
- Providing engineering support to battery cell formation team and cell assembly production team to resolve manufacturing process issues.
- Working closely with safety and quality control teams to improve battery cell formation process on safety and quality issues.
- Working closely with other team members to increase understanding of failure modes, performance and life expectancy of cell products.
- Applying principles and knowledge of chemical engineering to solve environmental problems.
Other duties may be assigned.
Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) Requirements:
- To ensure the health and safety in the workplace and for the protection of our employees, wearing PPE is a possibility and may include equipment such as a full Tyvek suit, safety shoes, gloves, safety glasses, face mask, bump cap, and a full hazmat suit that includes a respirator.
The foregoing description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills and efforts or work conditions associated with the job. It is intended to be an accurate reflection of the general nature and level of the job.
Qualifications: Requirements - Required and/or Preferred
- Basic: Bachelor’s Degree in Chemical Engineering, Materials Engineering, or similar discipline.
- Preferred: M.S. or Ph.D. in Chemical Engineering, Materials Engineering, or similar discipline.
- Evidence of exceptional ability. Panasonic follows a culture of full-cycle engineering where members will have full responsibility and accountability for their projects from start to finish. We are looking for the best of the best.
- 8+ years of experience working with lithium-ion cell technology.
- Experience including internships or curricular training in a manufacturing environment, particularly with lithium-ion battery cell formation and/or testing.
- Experience with battery cell formation process design and its influence on SEI analysis in the laboratory.
- Advanced proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc).
- Strong verbal and written communication skills to facilitate successful interactions with team members and management.
- Experience with root cause analysis, defect reduction, and failure analysis.
- Strong programming, statistical, and data analysis skills with tools such as Python, MATLAB, and JMP.
- Experience in laboratory analysis using X-Ray, SEM, microscope, CMM or similar methods in the lab is desired.
- Certifications or training in Six Sigma methodologies.
Physical Activities: (Percentage of time (equaling 100%) during the normal workday the employee is required to)
- Stand: 20%
Tools and/or Equipment: (Required frequency is: Not required (0%), Occasional (1-33%), Frequent (34-66%, Continuous (67-100%)
- Office Equipment:Continuous
Required Lifting and Carrying: (Required frequency is: Not required (0%), Occasional (1-33%), Frequent (34-66%, Continuous (67-100%)
- Up to 10 lbs.:Frequent
- Up to 20 lbs.:Frequent
- Up to 35 lbs.:Frequent
- Team-lift only (over 35 lbs.):Frequent
Panasonic Energy of North America (PENA) is collaborating with Tesla at a massive battery factory near Reno, Nevada which is known for its quality of life and expansive outdoor adventures. Panasonic's role at the Gigafactory is to manufacture and supply cylindrical lithium-ion cells to Tesla for their electric vehicles and energy storage systems.
Over the past few years, the Gigafactory has grown to the largest lithium-ion battery factory in the world. Together with our partner Tesla, we continue to revolutionize the lithium-ion battery space and accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable energy and transportation.
Our mission at PENA is to make the vision of affordable Electric Vehicles a reality by producing the world’s safest, high quality, and lowest cost batteries. Through this effort we will create a clean energy society and our products will change society’s use of and perceptions of electric power.
In addition to an environment that is as innovative as our products, we offer competitive salaries and benefits.
Pre-employment drug testing is required. Due to the high volume of responses, we will only be able to respond to candidates of interest. All candidates must have valid authorization to work in the U.S. without restriction.
Panasonic is an Equal Opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by law. All qualified individuals are required to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation.
Thank you for your interest in Panasonic Energy of North America.