Like a challenge? Here’s a few facts about our standard operating environment…
Collect 100 - 350 people, make sure they bring every electronic device they ever owned… their kid’s broken screen iPhone, their 12yo laptop, a tablet with an OS no one’s ever heard of… the works.
Put them in a pressurized Faraday cage travelling between 0 - 550 mph somewhere between 0 and 50,000 ASL. Power the whole thing with some batteries and up to 6 turbines cranking out 50,000 RPM.
Now, connect them all to the internet with speeds approaching cable. Use a LOS antenna bouncing signals off a satellite the size of a small van at an altitude of ~22,500mi. Cease all transmissions within 100ms if mis-pointed more than 0.2deg while maintaining a solid TCP connection. Switching from satellite to satellite better be done in less than a few seconds or Netflix just won’t look right and watch out for that turbulence too!
Your simulation tools involve a frozen turkey canon, a few hundred bags of potatoes and a padded room with a mechanical arm like the Back to the Future rides at Universal Studios.
Ready to dig in? Here’s an AWS login. The seatbelt sign just came on. Go!
As part of a critical infrastructure team in the PAC connectivity organization, you’ll be a key individual contributor to the applications which make our network work. It’s a global network with ~60 airlines and several thousand remotes so there’s lots to do! The team is directly responsible for all applications which interface directly with the satellite subsystem.
Multiple engineering disciplines and teams often come together in this org to achieve a goal which is greater than any individual part. The teams oversee everything from active network management, systems configuration, development, monitoring and reporting. You’ll work closely with a Verification & Validation team to help deliver your features from unit test through deployment in a CI/CD manner. 2 week Agile ceremony cycles include hands-on management, product owners, V&V team members and individual contributors working together as a cohesive team towards one goal.
Best engineering practices and the AWS well-architected framework are to be used at all times. Delivering a highly available, secure, cost-effective and efficient solution. These will align with approved company processes and compliance mandates.
- This position is full time remote possible.
- 4 different areas of focus -
- A suite of applications to collect and report on aircraft data usage and connectivity (eXact, Stateralog).
- An ecosystem of applications to enact business intelligence and rules to actively manage aircraft in a dynamically loaded environment for satellite beam switching (Statera).
- A core microservice to configure and manipulate terminal configurations (eXconnect / eXCu).
- A small suite of supporting applications - simulators, IP network calculators, etc.
- Ingest requirements for, design, code, debug, peer code review, test, document and support a variety the aforementioned applications using SDLC best practices using a modified Agile methodology.
- Accountable to support the availability of existing Satellite Network & Cloud Applications.
- IaaS as much as possible using AWS.
- Optimize costs and reduce require support hours through automating as much as possible.
- Ability to travel (domestic or international), up to 5% of the time, as required.
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Computer Sciences, Computer Engineering or Software Engineering.
- 3+ years of AWS development.
- 5+ year of Python or PHP development.
- Experience with databases (MySQL, MS SQL, TSBDs, etc.)
- Proficient with Linux, Bash and Windows.
- Must work well in a team and interacting with vendors.
- Advanced degree is preferred.
- AWS Certifications highly preferred.
- Experience with Golang, C++, MQTT or Network software development preferred.
- Satellite/WiFi communication system development experience is a plus.
- Agile certification(s) a plus.
- 100% remote. Office space is available, if you prefer.
- Rideshare program available, if applicable.
- Brand new offices near the airport and tons of restaurant options.
- Competitive compensation package.
- Great benefit package choices (Medical, Dental, Vision, Life, Legal, Support, Pet Insurance, etc.)
- Competitive 401K match.
- Employee Discount Programs.
- Toastmasters on site (COVID impacted).
- Internet reimbursement (COVID provision by state).
- Perks at work program.
- High5 Achievers recognition program.
- A Cloud Guru (https://acloud.guru/) account.
- AWS certification reimbursement.
- Mandatory 24h/year training goals.
- Lots of exciting avenues to grow your career and expand your knowledge!
Who We Are:
Panasonic Avionics takes entertainment to new heights! We’re the world’s leading supplier of (IFEC) inflight entertainment and communications systems that allow airborne passengers to get their fix of live TV, movies, music, interactive games, maps, and much more! We make traveling on airplanes more exciting!
What We Value:
As an organization, we value people who are motivated and driven. We value a collaborative work environment that enhances careers and positively impacts society. We value our diverse work culture committed to delivering products and achieving high results. Seeing our products bring delight to others is just one way we measure success.
Why You Should Join:
A job is only part of what we offer. See how you can flourish in a career while getting the support and resources from some of the most talented people in the industry. You will work on technology that makes traveling the world that much better. Lastly, you will be rewarded with world class benefits and competitive wages. Come aboard, we’ve been expecting you!
Panasonic is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by law or company policy. All qualified individuals are required to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation. Pre-employment drug testing is required for safety sensitive positions or as may otherwise be required by contract or law. Due to the high volume of responses, we will only be able to respond to candidates of interest. All candidates must have valid authorization to work in the U.S. Thank you for your interest in Panasonic Corporation of North America.