The Sr. Industrial Engineer will be working in a cross-functional environment to ensure production operates in the most efficient way possible. The purpose of this position will be to optimize output while reducing non-value-added wastes. The Engineer will be responsible for collecting data, performing analysis, developing countermeasures, implementing the improvement project, and ensuring the desired outcome is sustained.
- Leading a small team of highly talented and motivated industrial engineers in Panasonic’s battery production processes. The duties of the team include but are not limited to:
- Providing industrial engineering (IE) support related to daily IE activities
- Demonstrating solid troubleshooting skills and ability to quickly solve unknown problems
- Troubleshooting real time production problems to improve productivity
- Applying technical knowledge to develop clear and standard work instructions
- Developing new production processes and methods to increase production rates, improve quality, reduce defects, and reduce cost
- Develop and implement Standardized Work Instructions across all manual operations
- Implement 5S in production areas that currently do not utilize 5S practices
- Perform time studies and utilize cycle time analyses to drive process optimization
- Utilize MES data to analyze downtime and frequency of occurrence due to manual operations
- Identify, develop, and implement process improvement projects
- Support Technical Writers in developing and updating Standard Operating Procedures
- Support Production Trainers – train the trainer – in implementing new procedures
- Audit production areas/personnel for compliance against improvement projects
- Develop and utilize Value Stream Maps to identify areas to reduce or eliminate non-value-added wastes
- Calculate production takt time and utilize cycle times to identify bottlenecks and perform line balancing
- Support cross-functional team Kaizen events
- Develop static and/or dynamic models to simulate current and future state production
- Develop Ishikawa diagrams and/or 5 Why’s to properly identify the root cause of problem
- Analyze and report data to meet management/factory needs (many Ad-Hoc reports)
- Implement Lean Manufacturing tools and methodologies to improve or solve manufacturing problems by reducing cost/waste or improving quality and/or capability
- Work effectively with operations and support functions to translate process improvement findings into sustained improvements and standard work
- Understand and analyze factory KPIs to drive improvement projects and analyze results
- Analyze labor and equipment utilization to identify and reduce non-value-added wastes
- Quantify the value of continuous improvement opportunities
- Drive and influence change across multiple departments by implementing factory standards
- Effectively communicate with all levels of the organization
- Effectively lead and manage multiple projects simultaneously
Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) Requirements:
- To ensure the health and safety in the workplace and for the protection of our employees, wearing PPE is a possibility and may include equipment such as a full Tyvek suit, safety shoes, gloves, safety glasses, face mask, bump cap, and a full hazmat suit that includes a respirator.
- Basic/Required: Bachelor’s degree in Industrial Engineering or related field
- Preferred: None
- Evidence of exceptional ability. Panasonic follows a culture of full-cycle industrial engineering where members will have full responsibility and accountability for their projects from start to finish. We are looking for the best of the best
- Strong skills in MS Office (Word, PowerPoint, Excel (Macro)) required
- Demonstrated ability to implement lean manufacturing tools and methodologies
- Strong technical background, including high volume manufacturing environment
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills
- Ability to learn and understand complex equipment capabilities, operation flow, and data flow
- Must have working-level knowledge of the English language, including reading, writing, and speaking English
- Minimum of 1+ years of leadership experience preferred
- Minimum of 5+ years in industrial or process engineering strongly desired
- Must be detailed oriented and data driven
- Ability to successfully manage multiple projects
- Excellent communication skills required
- Lean Manufacturing knowledge required
- Six sigma knowledge highly preferred
- Strong background in continuous improvement
- Resilient, self-motived and able to work well under pressure
- Alignment to Panasonic’s seven (7) core principles (contribution to society, fairness and honesty, cooperation and team spirit, untiring effort for improvement, courtesy and humility, adaptability, gratitude)
Panasonic Energy of North America (PENA) is collaborating with Tesla at a massive battery factory near Reno, Nevada which is known for its quality of life and expansive outdoor adventures. Panasonic's role at the Gigafactory is to manufacture and supply cylindrical lithium-ion cells to Tesla for their electric vehicles and energy storage systems.
Over the past few years, the Gigafactory has grown to the largest lithium-ion battery factory in the world. Together with our partner Tesla, we continue to revolutionize the lithium-ion battery space and accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable energy and transportation.
Our mission at PENA is to make the vision of affordable Electric Vehicles a reality by producing the world’s safest, high quality, and lowest cost batteries. Through this effort we will create a clean energy society and our products will change society’s use of and perceptions of electric power.
In addition to an environment that is as innovative as our products, we offer competitive salaries and benefits.
Pre-employment drug testing is required. Due to the high volume of responses, we will only be able to respond to candidates of interest. All candidates must have valid authorization to work in the U.S. without restriction.
Panasonic is an Equal Opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by law. All qualified individuals are required to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation.
Thank you for your interest in Panasonic Energy of North America.