Responsible for concept, design, development, modification, and evaluation of camera platform technology/product including applying global strategies to accommodate North American market and other opportunities.
A DAY IN THE LIFE:
- Designs and develops camera optical components, such as lenses, Image sensors & processors, including creation of drawings and management of suppliers related to these camera components.
- Determines optical component requirements and availability appropriate to product phase.
- Develops test plans and evaluations of camera optical system (lens, image processing) performance.
- Collaborates with multiple engineers disciplines (optical, systems, electrical, mechanical, and software engineering) as well as local or global design teams to achieve required technical feasibility of designs.
- Interfaces with Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) customers to participate in design reviews to ensure objectives are met and identifies and resolves implementation issues.
- Act as technical contact window for Customers of our camera products.
- Adheres to Panasonic automotive product development and program management processes to ensure successful milestone reviews, design completion deadlines, and cost objectives.
- May employ quality improvements and supplier relations approach utilizing customer required formats such as Production Parts Approval Process (PPAP) and Advanced Production Quality Process (APQP) techniques.
- Provides assistance and technical guidance to less experienced engineers as required.
- Four-year College Degree in at least one STEM major (Science; Technology; Engineering; Math), specifically in Optical Engineering discipline including some coursework in optical design, ray-tracing analysis, stray-light analysis and a minimum of five (5) years opto-mechanical design experience in electrical and/or optical products; or ten (10) years electric design experience in electronics products within these areas: Embedded Processors, Video, and/or Image Processing.
- Experience in Zemax, Code V, Light Tools, and/or Ansys optical design software, including macro-writing, sensitivity analysis and tolerancing and MATLAB interfacing.
- Experience in illumination and imaging with reflective, refractive, diffractive and holographic optical elements
- Experience with light source design (LED, OLED, laser, etc.) including light evaluation tools (Optis or equivalent)
- Experience with picture generation units (TFT LCD, DLP), polarizers, IR/UV cut filters, etc.
- Experience interfacing with optical component vendors, material selection and design for manufacturing for optical elements (resins, design for molding – for camera lenses)
- Knowledge of basic Product Tooling & Manufacturing processes & lead times of the optical components.
- Active working knowledge of available optical coatings
- Experience in precision setup of optical components
- Experience and knowledge of camera system design, evaluation, and displays for camera image visualization.
- Familiarity with basic measurement devices to measure and characterize optical designs and resultant images
- Experience with Simulation tools (Icepack, Light Tools, Ansys, etc) preferred.
- Experience with CATIA CAD systems in an automotive tier one or automotive OEM preferred
- Experience with OEM requirements for automotive camera and/or head up display including optical, thermal, environmental preferred.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and Windows-based databases as appropriate to the position and assignment.
- Working knowledge in the following areas: FEA (Finite Element Analysis), Kinematics, Simulation, Lighting/Illumination, GD&T (Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerance), DVP&, R (Design Verification Plan and Report), 8D (Eight Discipline Problem Solving Model), BOM creation (Build of Material), DFMEA (Design Failure Mode and Effect Analysis), Design Review, ISIR Evaluation (Initial Sample Inspection Report), CATIA, UG, Solid Works, Benchmarking, Prototypes, Validation, Patent Origination.
- Ability to use or learn schematic capture system (Zuken).
- Ability to use or learn BOM system (Agile).
BENEFITS & PERKS – WE’RE ALL ABOUT YOU:
- Great Medical / Dental Benefits
- Company-Matched 401K Retirement Savings
- Annual Bonus Program
- Educational Assistance & Reimbursement Program
- Relaxed Dress Code
- Onsite Recreation Center & Café
- PASATalks Speaker Summits
- Leadership & Mentorship Programs
- High5 Reward Recognition Program
- Onsite Happy Hours!
- And many more benefits & perks found within the ‘Our Culture’ section…
WHO WE ARE:
At Panasonic, our technology and engineering expertise delivers innovation across diverse industries. It's all about the consumer experience and making sure that we find ways to enhance that experience, either through audio enhancements or through safety enhancements inside the vehicle.
Panasonic Automotive Systems Company of America (PASA) is an industry-leading global supplier to Automotive Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEM’s) for infotainment systems and advanced connected car solutions. Our clients include Ford, GM, Chrysler, Daimler, Fiat, Tesla, Honda, Toyota, Nissan and many others. In serving our customers, we don't just strive to put tomorrow's technology on the road – we pride ourselves on recruiting the brightest and best to do it.
WE TAKE OPPORTUNITY SERIOUSLY:
Panasonic is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to: race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, genetic information, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. All qualified individuals are required to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation.
Due to the high volume of responses, we will only be able to respond to candidates of interest. All candidates must have valid authorization to work in the U.S. Thank you for your interest in Panasonic Automotive Systems of America.