Panasonic Energy of North America (PENA) is collaborating with Tesla Motors, Inc. in a large-scale advanced battery manufacturing facility known as the Gigafactory near Reno, Nevada which is known for its quality of life and expansive outdoor adventures. Panasonic manufactures and supplies cylindrical lithium-ion cells for the world’s leading electric vehicle manufacturer, Tesla Motors, Inc. Based on the battery demand from Tesla, the Gigafactory plans to produce cells which will double the world’s current production.
Our mission at PENA is to make the vision of affordable Electric Vehicles a reality by production of the world’s safest, highest-quality, and lowest-cost batteries. Through this effort we will create a clean energy society and our products will change society’s use of and perceptions of electric power.
- Being a part of Panasonic’s assembly production process. The assembly group is responsible for the winding and cell assembly process that manufactures our cylindrical batteries from the electrode and other constituent parts.
- Devise battery cell manufacturing process improvement for mass production lines.
- Conduct research and development work for new and existing production lines to improve cell assembly process on safety, quality and productivity.
- Analyze and evaluate cell physical data. This may include; dimensions of jelly roll, cell and cross-sectional dimensions. From this data evaluation is needed to determine direct and interaction effects of the machinery and processes.
- Line setup and evaluation of performance of manufacturing equipment.
- Analyze operating procedures and functions of equipment and machinery to reduce time and cost of assembly manufacturing processes.
- Provide engineering support to cell assembly as well as electrodes production teams to resolve manufacturing process issues.
- Work closely with other team members to increase understanding of failure modes, performance and life expectancy of cell products.
- Collaborate with Supplier Quality team in their communication with material suppliers, related to the development and validation of detailed material specifications for new materials, and the resolution of any quality issues
- Apply principles and knowledge of chemical engineering to solve environmental problems.
- Other duties may be assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor's degree (B.S. in Mechanical Engineering or related field) from four-year College or University.
- Experience including internship or curricular training in assembly manufacturing environment or lithium-ion battery cell assembly production is a plus.
- Experience with root cause analysis, defect reduction, and failure analysis.
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc).
- Strong verbal and written communication skills to facilitate successful interactions with team members and management.
- 8+ years of manufacturing engineering or process engineering experience.
- Experience in a high-volume manufacturing environment (1M+ units per day) including industries such as batteries or electronic devices.
- Experience with automation/robotic system development.
- Proficiency in AutoCAD.
- Experience interfacing to databases, information management and reporting applications used for MES/SCADA systems is preferred.
- Strong data analysis skills with tools such as JMP, Minitab, Python, MATLAB, are highly desired.
In addition to an environment that’s as innovative as our products, we offer competitive salaries and benefits. Panasonic is an Equal Opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to: race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. All qualified individuals are required to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation.
Pre-employment drug testing is required. Due to the high volume of responses, we will only be able to respond to candidates of interest. All candidates must have valid authorization to work in the U.S. Thank you for your interest in Panasonic Energy of North America.
Panasonic Energy of North America will not sponsor applicants for work visas for this position.