The Research Engineer will gather relevant information, data or samples, then analyze their research and perform tests to create optimal and innovative solutions.
They must have a thorough understanding of the Engineering financial impact and a basic understanding of the needs and impact of other functions on the business.
- Business Acumen: Leading efforts to improve the financial impact of engineering activities on the business and a thorough understanding of how other functions impact the business.
- Engineering Processes: Fluent in most processes and leading improvement initiatives.
- Project Impact: Responsible for managing projects requiring multiple components and sub-systems integration.
- Team Interaction: Technical leadership on project cross-functional teams
- External Customer Interaction: Interacts widely with external customers and bodies
- Autonomy: Manages workload effectively with general direction required
- Technical Communication: Can handle preparation and presentation on technical subjects
- Technical Judgment (Problem Solving): Presentation of multiple solutions and practical reasoning around final selection shown
- Developing Others: Effective at mentoring and guiding the less experienced engineers
YEARS OF EXPERIENCE: 5+ years experience in engineering
EDUCATION: • BS in Engineering discipline
FOUNDATIONAL COMPETENCIES: • Improve product using Design for Manufacturing and Assembly Analysis • Improve design using a Design for Ergonomics study • Use value engineering techniques to reduce cost and increase customer value • Conduct 8-Disciplines problem-solving process utilizing Is-Is Not and 5 Whys methodologies • Utilize other root cause analysis techniques (e.g. fishbone diagram, cause and effect matrix, etc.) • Analyze a measurement system using numerical tools like is plotting and gage Repeatability and Reproducibility. • Develop complex mathematical representation of a physical system, and use numerical methods to predict expected outcomes • Conduct statistical tolerance stack-up analysis using manufacturing capability data • Monitor process capability using Statistical Process Control techniques • Conduct process capability studies • Use value analysis techniques to reduce product and manufacturing costs