Quality Systems Engineer
Shift: Day Shift
Panasonic Energy of North America (PENA) is seeking ambitious engineers to lead the world’s largest lithium ion battery initiative. With superior battery designs and the fastest manufacturing lines in the world, Panasonic is producing millions of batteries per day at the Gigafactory to support Tesla’s electric vehicle and energy storage businesses. Panasonic invites you to join us in this ongoing full-scale effort to electrify our society. At PENA, engineers quickly become experts in the fundamentals of lithium-ion cell technology and work to integrate that understanding with high speed, automated manufacturing methods to produce the highest performance and highest quality lithium ion batteries.
- Working with quality support staff in proper protocols and QMS controls and functions.
- Initiating and maintaining QMS documents and procedures.
- Supporting and participating with the quality manager in customer and regulatory audits.
- Developing and/or adapting systems to meet quality standards, making suggestions with regards to procedures, standards and equipment to facilitate work and to streamline processes and to maintain product quality.
- Investigating and determining root cause of quality issues; assisting production and other personnel with corrective action process.
- Monitoring ECO, CAPA and MRB time to close metrics; identifying actions and responsibilities to drive timely closure and effectiveness.
- Developing good documentation best practices; developing a training plan; monitoring effectiveness; coaching others as needed.
- Supporting the implementation of paperless manufacturing initiatives.
- Understanding and effectively implementing risk-based methodologies and processes.
- Staying abreast of and communicating changes to regulatory requirements; developing effective plans to implement actions to address them.
- Other duties may be assigned.
Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) Requirements:
- To ensure the health and safety in the workplace and for the protection of our employees, wearing PPE is a possibility and may include equipment such as a full Tyvek suit, safety shoes, gloves, safety glasses, face mask, bump cap, and a full hazmat suit that includes a respirator.
The foregoing description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills and efforts or work conditions associated with the job. It is intended to be an accurate reflection of the general nature and level of the job.
Qualifications: Requirements - Required and/or Preferred
- Basic: Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Materials Engineering, or similar discipline.
- Preferred: Master’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Materials Engineering, or similar discipline.
- Able to identify and pursue material defect reduction opportunities.
- Familiar with Quality Management Systems (QMS).
- Knowledgeable in Microsoft Office programs (Excel, Word, PowerPoint).
- Knowledge and understanding of ISO 9001 standards required.
- 2+ years of quality systems engineering experience.
- Experience in a high-volume manufacturing environment preferred.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Experience with continuous improvement, Six Sigma, Lean, Kaizen, 5S, etc.
- Able to analyze and present data with clear conclusions and/or next steps.
- Able to review and interpret technical specifications.
Physical Activities: (Percentage of time (equaling 100%) during the normal workday the employee is required to)
- Sit: 20%
- Walk: 50%
- Stand: 20%
- Lift: 10%
Tools and/or Equipment: (Required frequency is: Not required (0%), Occasional (1-33%), Frequent (34-66%, Continuous (67-100%)
- Keyboard/Computer: Continuous
- Office Equipment: Continuous
- Phone Continuous
Required Lifting and Carrying: (Required frequency is: Not required (0%), Occasional (1-33%), Frequent (34-66%, Continuous (67-100%)
- Up to 10 lbs.: Frequent
- Up to 20 lbs.: Frequent
- Up to 35 lbs.: Frequent
- Team-lift only (over 35 lbs.): Frequent
Panasonic Energy of North America (PENA) is collaborating with Tesla at a massive battery factory near Reno, Nevada which is known for its quality of life and expansive outdoor adventures. Panasonic's role at the Gigafactory is to manufacture and supply cylindrical lithium-ion cells to Tesla for their electric vehicles and energy storage systems.
Over the past few years, the Gigafactory has grown to the largest lithium-ion battery factory in the world. Together with our partner Tesla, we continue to revolutionize the lithium-ion battery space and accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable energy and transportation.
Our mission at PENA is to make the vision of affordable Electric Vehicles a reality by producing the world’s safest, high quality, and lowest cost batteries. Through this effort we will create a clean energy society and our products will change society’s use of and perceptions of electric power.
In addition to an environment that is as innovative as our products, we offer competitive salaries and benefits.
Pre-employment drug testing is required. Due to the high volume of responses, we will only be able to respond to candidates of interest. All candidates must have valid authorization to work in the U.S. without restriction.
Panasonic is an Equal Opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by law. All qualified individuals are required to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation.
Thank you for your interest in Panasonic Energy of North America.