Quality Control Manager – Formation/Inspection
Panasonic Energy of North America (PENA) is collaborating with Tesla Motors, Inc. in a large-scale advanced battery manufacturing facility known as the Gigafactory near Reno, Nevada which is known for its quality of life and expansive outdoor adventures. Panasonic manufactures and supplies cylindrical lithium-ion cells for the world’s leading electric vehicle manufacturer, Tesla Motors, Inc. Based on the battery demand from Tesla, the Gigafactory plans to produce cells which will double the world’s current production.
Our mission at PENA is to make the vision of affordable Electric Vehicles a reality by production of the world’s safest, highest-quality, and lowest-cost batteries. Through this effort we will create a clean energy society and our products will change society’s use of and perceptions of electric power.
Globally, Panasonic is committed to creating a better life and a better world, continuously contributing to the evolution of society and happiness of people around the world.
Locally, with this in mind, Panasonic Energy is making the worlds #1, highest performance and quality battery in a high-volume manufacturing environment. In order to achieve this exciting goal, we are committed to meeting our very strict quality and safety targets.
The Quality Control Manager will manage and build the quality systems and team by establishing procedures and KPI’s for our Li-ion battery manufacturing processes.
Primary Roles and Responsibilities:
- Establish and maintain quality controls systems in Panasonic’s battery manufacturing process.
- Manage engineers, inspectors, technicians, and specialists to improve battery cell performance, safety, and quality.
- Lead the Quality Control team to provide support to the cell manufacturing process to resolve production issues on cell quality and defect reduction.
- Lead the Quality Control team to provide correspondence to customer’s complaints, claims, and auditing support requests.
- Oversee Panasonic’s ISO quality management system construction and maintenance.
- Facilitate subordinates’ education and training.
- Manage quality assurance aspects for Visual Inspection, Formation, Process Cleanliness, and Daily and Monthly Inspection processes.
- Oversee Panasonic’s lot release process to ensure the unequivocal quality of battery cells to our customer.
- Other duties may be assigned.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree (B. S. in Chemical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or related field) from a four-year college or university.
- Experience including quality control of batteries or within electronic devices, in high volume manufacturing.
- 5+ years Management experience is required.
- Familiarity with quality management tools including control charts, FTA, FMEA, etc.
- Strong experience with Microsoft Office Suite including Excel, Word, PowerPoint, etc.
- Experience with laboratory analysis instruments including X-Ray, SEM, ICP, etc.
- Experience with ISO 9001 quality management system auditing.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common scientific and technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents.
- Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community.
- Ability to write speeches and articles for publication that conform to prescribed style and format.
- Ability to effectively present information to top management, public groups, and/or boards of directors.
- Ability to comprehend and apply quality control tools such as control charts, FTA, FMEA, why-why analysis, etc.
In addition to an environment that is as innovative as our products, we offer competitive salaries and benefits. Panasonic is an Equal Opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to: race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. All qualified individuals are required to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation.
Pre-employment drug testing is required. Due to the high volume of responses, we will only be able to respond to candidates of interest. Panasonic Energy of North America will not sponsor applicants for work visas for this position. All candidates must have valid authorization to work in the U.S. Thank you for your interest in Panasonic Energy Corporation of North America.