Mechanical/Electrical/Controls Engineer (Vision Systems)
Panasonic Energy of North America (PENA) is seeking ambitious engineers to lead the world’s largest lithium ion battery initiative. With superior battery designs and the fastest manufacturing lines in the world, Panasonic is producing millions of batteries per day at the Gigafactory to support Tesla’s electric vehicle and energy storage businesses. Panasonic invites you to join us in this ongoing full-scale effort to electrify our society. At PENA, engineers quickly become experts in the fundamentals of lithium-ion cell technology and work to integrate that understanding with high speed, automated manufacturing methods to produce the highest performance and highest quality lithium ion batteries.
We are seeking a talented, recent college graduate in Mechanical, Electrical and/or Controls Engineering with an ability and willingness to learn vision systems.
- Programming, installing, and troubleshooting Keyence vision systems within Panasonic’s battery manufacturing processes.
- Providing machine-vision-related technical support to ongoing production operations.
- Developing moving camera calibration algorithms.
- Analyzing product or equipment specifications and performance requirements to determine designs which can be produced by existing manufacturing or processing facilities and methods.
- Determining feasibility of designing new plant equipment or modifying existing facilities considering costs, available space, time limitations, company planning, and other technical and economic factors.
- Providing technical information concerning manufacturing or processing techniques, materials, properties, and process advantages and limitations which affect long range plant and product engineering planning.
- Preparing or directing preparation of product or system layout and detailed drawings and schematics.
- Other duties may be assigned.
Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) Requirements:
- To ensure the health and safety in the workplace and for the protection of our employees, wearing PPE is a possibility and may include equipment such as a full Tyvek suit, safety shoes, gloves, safety glasses, face mask, bump cap, and a full hazmat suit that includes a respirator.
The foregoing description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills and efforts or work conditions associated with the job. It is intended to be an accurate reflection of the general nature and level of the job.
Qualifications: Requirements - Required and/or Preferred
- Basic: Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or similar discipline.
- Preferred: Master’s Degree in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or similar discipline.
- We are seeking a talented, recent college graduate in Mechanical, Electrical and/or Controls Engineering with an ability and willingness to learn vision systems.
- Panasonic Energy of North America does not sponsor applicants for work visas for this position.
- Evidence of exceptional ability. Panasonic follows a culture of full-cycle engineering where members will have full responsibility and accountability for their projects from start to finish. We are looking for the best of the best..
- Experience with quality and reliability improvement using data acquisition in conjunction with Six Sigma, Cpk, Gauge R&R, and similar quality tools.
- Skilled in the utilization of statistical analysis.
- Programming background with high-level languages such as C, C++, and Python.
- Background working in a high-volume manufacturing environment.
- 2+ years of vision engineering experience.
- Proficiency with XG-X, LI-V Keyence controllers.
- Experience working with vision system databases.
- Knowledge of camera, light, and lens selection for applications ranging from defect detection to part location
- Experience programming, installing, and troubleshooting PLC systems such as Mitsubishi and Omron.
- Experience programming, installing, and troubleshooting Cognex manufacturing image vision systems.
- Familiarity with wiring/cabling size/terminations and load/temperature requirements.
- Familiarity with industrial machinery design & related NFPA codes:
- 79 (and related UL standards for industrial machinery)
Panasonic Energy of North America (PENA) is collaborating with Tesla at a massive battery factory near Reno, Nevada which is known for its quality of life and expansive outdoor adventures. Panasonic's role at the Gigafactory is to manufacture and supply cylindrical lithium-ion cells to Tesla for their electric vehicles and energy storage systems.
Over the past few years, the Gigafactory has grown to the largest lithium-ion battery factory in the world. Together with our partner Tesla, we continue to revolutionize the lithium-ion battery space and accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable energy and transportation.
Our mission at PENA is to make the vision of affordable Electric Vehicles a reality by producing the world’s safest, high quality, and lowest cost batteries. Through this effort we will create a clean energy society and our products will change society’s use of and perceptions of electric power.
In addition to an environment that is as innovative as our products, we offer competitive salaries and benefits.
Pre-employment drug testing is required. Due to the high volume of responses, we will only be able to respond to candidates of interest. All candidates must have valid authorization to work in the U.S. without restriction.
Panasonic is an Equal Opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by law. All qualified individuals are required to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation.
Thank you for your interest in Panasonic Energy of North America.