Process Engineer (Battery Manufacturing Team)
Sunday – Wednesday, Wednesday – Saturday, or Monday – Friday
Panasonic Energy of North America (PENA) is seeking ambitious engineers to lead the world’s largest lithium ion battery initiative. With superior battery designs and the fastest manufacturing lines in the world, Panasonic is producing millions of batteries per day at the Gigafactory to support Tesla’s electric vehicle and energy storage businesses. Panasonic invites you to join us in this ongoing full-scale effort to electrify our society. At PENA, engineers quickly become experts in the fundamentals of lithium-ion cell technology and work to integrate that understanding with high speed, automated manufacturing methods to produce the highest performance and highest quality lithium ion batteries.
- Being a part of Panasonic’s Battery Manufacturing Engineering team. The Manufacturing Engineering team is responsible for supporting Panasonic’s battery production to ensure our world-class production is running smoothly and without issue. In addition, we continually seek to improve our process by means of productivity, quality, cost, and other metrics.
- Provides engineering support related to daily production activities. Works to optimize OEE (Overall Equipment Efficiency) to increase productivity and reduce defect and loss.
- Utilizes OEE and other production data to effectively manage tasks and activities.
- Demonstrating solid troubleshooting skills and ability to quickly solve unknown problems.
- Troubleshooting real time production problems to maintain production and reduce defects.
- Working with Maintenance teams to coordinate maintenance activities ranging from reactive to preventative maintenance.
- Working with engineering/maintenance teams to develop permanent countermeasures to common problems in daily manufacturing. Can relate to productivity, quality, loss, safety, etc.
- Implementing and expand these new permanent countermeasures into production lines.
- Monitoring and auditing manufacturing processes to ensure product specifications and standards are achieved.
- Applying technical knowledge to develop clear and standard work instructions, SOP’s and troubleshooting guides.
- Implementing and supporting manufacturing industrial automation.
- Other duties may be assigned
B.S./M.S. in Chemical Engineering, Material Science Engineering, Industrial Engineering, or related discipline.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Panasonic Energy of North America does not sponsor applicants for work visas for this position.
- Evidence of exceptional ability. Panasonic follows a culture of full-cycle engineering where members will have full responsibility and accountability for their projects from start to finish. We are looking for the best of the best.
- Experience performing engineering functions and responsibilities in a manufacturing environment.
- Able to work production shift schedules.
- Able to train manufacturing operators on new or revised manufacturing process instructions or tooling.
- Should be flexible with the working environment and be able to perform job duties between manufacturing floor and office/desk.
- Must be able to perform machine and process troubleshooting and apply root cause analysis.
- Experience working on projects such as scrap, cost, and FTE reduction.
- Experience with time studies, resource mapping, and bottleneck analysis.
- Must possess engineering skills (process development/improvement, troubleshooting, data analysis, tolerancing, MPI’s).
- Capable of identifying critical process parameters. Knowledge of FTA, FMEA, etc.
- Strong team working skills at all levels of an organization, especially skilled at working with direct labor to understand challenges and work on developing optimal solutions using structured methods.
- Self-starter who works well independently and an outstanding ability to follow up with minimal direction and will focus on team success.
- Able to manage multiple concurrent tasks in a fast-paced environment, effectively prioritize work, and deliver quality results.
- A strong work ethic with a “get the job done” approach who consistently delivers excellent customer service, both internally and externally.
- Experience applying fluid dynamics to solve complex problems.
- Knowledge of pumps (sizes, types, preventative maintenance, etc.)
- Experience with material management and control.
- Experience with investigation and improvement of metal forming processes.
- Knowledge of electrochemistry and ability to apply principles.
- Knowledge and ability to apply principles of solutions chemistry.
- Experience with control strategy, PLC, and sensor/actuator relationships is a plus.
- Previous experience with Industrial data analysis or Manufacturing Execution System (MES) desired.
- Experience in a high-volume manufacturing environment (1M+ units per day) such as batteries or electronic devices.
- Experience working in machine shops and fabricating machine parts.
- Familiarity with six sigma methodologies and tools.
The physical demands described are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to do the following:
- Stand for extended amounts of time.
- Walk extensively around the factory (our building is 5.5 million square feet; you will definitely get your steps in!)
- Required to wear PPE (personal protective equipment) such as but not limited to; hard hat, respirator, gloves, eye protection, steel toe boots, etc.
Panasonic Energy of North America (PENA) is collaborating with Tesla at a massive battery factory known as the Nevada Gigafactory near Reno which is known for its quality of life and expansive outdoor adventures. Panasonic's role in the Gigafactory is to manufacture and supply cylindrical lithium-ion cells to Tesla for their electric vehicles and energy storage systems.
Over the past few years, the Gigafactory has grown from a pile of dirt to the largest lithium-ion battery factory in the world. Together with our partner Tesla, we continue to revolutionize the lithium-ion battery space and accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable energy and transportation.
Our mission at PENA is to make the vision of affordable Electric Vehicles a reality by producing the world’s safest, high quality, and lowest cost batteries. Through this effort we will create a clean energy society and our products will change society’s use of and perceptions of electric power.
In addition to an environment that’s as innovative as our products, we offer competitive salaries and benefits. Panasonic is an Equal Opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to: race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. All qualified individuals are required to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation.
Pre-employment drug testing is required. Due to the high volume of responses, we will only be able to respond to candidates of interest. All candidates must have valid authorization to work in the U.S. Thank you for your interest in Panasonic Energy of North America.