About Panasonic Avionics
For over 35 years, Panasonic Avionics Corporation has led the industry in design and implementation of breakthrough In-Flight Entertainment solutions that connect the business and pleasure of flying.
Key on-site support liaison between Panasonic, Airline customers and/or Airframe Manufacturer (OEM) to ensure customer satisfaction; deliver OEM aircraft on-time and optimum performance of all Panasonic equipment. Performs engineering support, system integration, and technical liaison to our airline customers and OEM, ensuring product performance, functional, inspection, certification objectives are met. Represent Panasonic Field Support interests in resolution of technical issues with other Panasonic and customer/OEM engineering departments. Support Engineering, Factory, Flightline, Flight Tests, Labs and other OEM manufacturing areas at the assigned OEM site. Key technical focal for assigned OEM customer programs, responsible for integration and delivery of assigned program(s) at the OEM
Liaison to Airline Customer/OEM
- Technical focal and lead for assigned OEM projects / programs. Ensure that integration requirement, logistics and other technical data to install and commission IFEC systems on production aircraft are represented per OEM and customer requirements
- Especially for assigned projects or programs, develop and maintain an in-depth knowledge of Panasonic Avionics products and installations, including a detailed technical knowledge of system software and associated equipment. Remain current as new products and enhancements are released. Continually obtain new data, specifications, and interface frequently with the departments developing new products and software.
- Contribute towards achieving Panasonic goals and objectives by assisting and providing support to OEM, Airline customers and Panasonic departments as directed.
- Provide regular, accurate and detailed technical reports to OEM Engineering Support management and/or appropriate departments on all activities, observed field problems, and customer issues. Provides clear and concise written and verbal communication and frequently participates in continuing problem investigations.
- Compile all required information at all aircraft engineering and production phases for each aircraft in OEM FLIGHT database, track aircraft issues / activities and to issue Delivery Reports.
- Build a close working relationship with OEM technical teams ie Engineering, factory and flightline. Maintain a close professional relationship with our airline customers, especially the assigned customers, and support customer meetings as required.
- Support and coordinate customer walk and test flight activities. Work with customers and program stackholders. As well as interpose with PMO/ Region / OEM / Customers when a letter of commitment for unresolved issue(s) is required.
Service, Support, and Troubleshooting
- Provide technical / Engineering guidance and field assistance to OEM Factory and Flightline in troubleshooting and resolving system hardware, network, and software issues.
- Ability to direct and coordinate work among Engineers. Plan assignments and be the focal contact for assigned program or projects to the OEM.
- Lead the troubleshooting assistance and support for first of model installations, follow-on CFR 21 production aircraft, new equipment line-fit installations for hardware, wiring, and software integration efforts and problem resolution. Work with OEM and Panasonic engineering departments in conjunction with OEM Field Staff Engineers to ensure timely and accurate corrective action is achieved.
- Understand spares requirements and assist in coordinating spares equipment for customers/OEMs as required.
- Review mechanical, electrical, and software installation documentation as well as OEM Coordination Memos to verify that all specifications are met.
- Support software troubleshooting, coordinate with Panasonic software engineering teamsand perform “OATP” if required.
- Develop and carry out Panasonic specific system checks and tests. Including but not limited to, GCS system tests, IFE checks and aircraft systems checks where our system interfaces with other vendors/OEM systems.
- Support “Entry into service” software/media loading, in addition, GCS configuration preparation. Coordinate EIS preparation for documentation, software and logistics
- Support and/or assist in OEM certification ground and flight testing. Lead discussions with OEM on test plans and support needs.
- Support customer inspections and customer test flights on daily basis at OEM.
- Support any rework activities at the OEM including where our system integrates with other vendors/OEM systems. Provide inspection and sign off to PAC supplier rework with Panasonic QA delegated approval. Coordinate with OE and/or sub-tier for rework plan, schedule and scope or work.
- Maintain a detailed working knowledge of aircraft avionics systems that interfaces with Panasonic equipment.
- Lead in resolving system operation or reliability issues by conducting investigations, collecting data to identify the scope of problems, and leading the recovery plan as required with the OEM and other departments.
- Provide field inputs to other Panasonic departments, (i.e. Quality, Product Support Engineering, Regional Field Offices, Repair Center, Training, and Program Management) concerning technical product issues, installation or documentation related problems.
- Provide a consistent communication path to Engineering for problem resolution. Establish a strong inter-departmental Engineering interface and support.
- Monitors and coordinates engineering solutions and implementation of fixes/solutions.
- Be cognizant of possible quality or reliability problems and analyze failures trends. Work with QA on OEM quality / reliability issues and support CAPA reviews.
- Ability to carry out assigned responsibilities while working independently and/or closely with peers and with minimum supervision; capable of establishing daily or near/mid term work priorities as required.
- Skilled troubleshooter.
- Proven Project management experience.
- Ability to multitask and apply priority to projects with adaptability and urgency while meeting timelines.
- Must be proficient in the use of wiring schematics, diagrams and other engineering/aircraft documentation. Must be able to redline discrepancies and work with engineering groups to correct documentation issues.Able to operate standard electronic test equipment and tooling.
- Extensive knowledge of Linux, Unix, Windows, SQL and/or VxWorks (or embedded operating systems), TCP/IP networks and troubleshooting methods.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Effective interpersonal, organizational, and problem solving skills. Self-motived and self-directed to meet OEM Engineering team objectives. Able to operation in dynamic work environment.
- Familiar with FAA, CAA, and ATA requirements for avionics equipment.
- While not a supervisory position, manage individual assignments and participate in team / shift planning activities.
- Ability to write and converse effectively with peers from Panasonic, OEM, Airlines and other vendors on a technical level.
- Ability to present Panasonic interests to non-technical people in meetings and through reports.
- Capable of identifying complex engineering problems in software and hardware and reporting to OEM management and other Engineering departments, (i.e. problems can be fundamental design issues with software, power, and electronic components or they can be aircraft environment related).
- Demonstrated engineering-level product knowledge on avionics and/or related software areas.
- Uses professional concepts while applying company policies and procedures to resolve a variety of issues.
- Works on problems where analysis of situations or data requires a review of a variety of factors.
- Exercises judgment within defined procedures and practices to determine appropriate action.
- Bachelors Degree in Electronics, Electrical, Information Technology, Engineering or Computer Sciences or related degree PLUS 6-8 years relevant experience; Or 10+ years of engineering experience in Information Technology, electronic / avionics systems, software or broadcast technology may be substituted in lieu of degree.
- Typically requires 8+ years of relevant engineering experience as listed above.
- Solid technical background in high performance electronics/avionics, audio/video and software controlled systems.
- Preferred experience with Panasonic IFE / GCS products and systems.
- Preference with experience in working with OEM/airlines.
- Active driver’s license and willing to submit to a background record check.
- Ability to pass extensive security and background checks.
- Willing to work multiple shifts, weekends and beyond normal business hours as required. Ability to work all shift hours, Holidays and weekends. Work schedule as assigned by Management.
- Must support daily OEM test flights. OEM medical review may be required.
- Ability to travel to customer and/or OEM sites (domestic and international) up to 40% of the time. Not limited to these locations.
- Ability to travel and support customer delivery ferry flights.
- Ability to climb and work from ladder or platform, and endure sitting, standing, bending or twisting for extended periods.
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds and operate in confined spaces for extended periods.