Who we are:
Ever wonder who brings the entertainment to your flights? Panasonic Avionics Corporation is #1 in the industry for delivering inflight products such as movies, games, WiFi, and now Bluetooth headphone connectivity!
How exciting would it be to be a part of the innovation that goes into creating technology that delights millions of people in an industry that’s here to stay! With our company’s history spanning over 40 years, you will have stability, career growth opportunities, and will work with the brightest minds in the industry. And we are committed to a diverse and inclusive culture that will help our organization thrive! We seek diversity in many areas such as background, culture, gender, ways of thinking, skills and more.
If you want to learn more about us visit us at www.panasonic.aero. And for a full listing of open job opportunities go to www.panasonic.aero/join-us/.
We are looking to hire a Software Engineer who can create media related In Flight Entertainment core software. Position involves research, design and development of software running in Linux environment to decode, encode, transport and play media in the latest Panasonic Avionics IFE displays.
Projects include low level drivers, kernel level SW development, software to handle various audio and video encoding and container formats and streams. Will have specific technical project or product responsibility.
As a Software Engineer you will
- Plan, design, implement and modify software applications from functional and system design specifications.
- Code, integrate, test, debug, and refine core software in C/C++ in Linux and Android • Work with various media encoding and media container and transport mechanisms to create the best IFE experience for the passenger.
- Develop software tools and subsystems to support software development, test, and reuse, and manage their implementation.
- Enhance software to reduce operating time or improve efficiency and robustness.
- Review, evaluate, and analyze design interfaces.
- Prepare, review, and evaluate test plans and procedures.
- Assist in definition, analysis and allocation of requirements.
- Support system test programs and analyze system testing results.
- Maintain the developed software efficiently through familiarity with software lifecycles.
- Document designs in engineering documents including functional block diagrams and data/logic flow charts.
Major Responsibilities and Requirements:
- Proficient in C/familiarity with C++ programming in Linux, including real time multi threaded embedded software development • Network programming experience including TCP/UDP/IP • Experience with various media technologies such as MPEG1/2/4, H.264.265, AAC, AC3, and various containers and transport mechanisms such as MPEG2-TS, MOV, AVI, RTP, RTSP, HLS, DASH • Experience with media subsystems in Linux such as V4L, ALSA, openGL, directFB • Experience with audio/video DRM systems • Experience with AOSP media framework and audio/video rendering pipelines is a plus • Experience with audio/video processing such as resampling, format conversion and enhancement is also a plus • Experience with creating product solutions that are robust and scalable.
- Solid knowledge of embedded software development concepts • Proficient with the Linux environment and Open Source software development tools.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple priorities and make efficient use of given resources such as system lab time and downstream process owners and tasks.
- Use expertise, experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals.
- Proficient with commonly used concepts, practices and procedures within the Software Engineering field.
- Develop solutions to clearly defined problems of moderate to diverse scope. Analysis involves selecting the best alternative method or process from among several existing alternatives, or based on evaluation of identifiable factors.
- Ability to work well in a fast-paced environment with user-centered, iterative design and development cycles.
- Ability to work well in a small team setting. Some interface to customer in the way of engineering documentation also required.
- Demonstrated engineering communication expertise including concise written and verbal skills is a must.
Bachelor of Science Degree in Computer Sciences, Computer Engineering or Software Engineering, or equivalent experience is required.
This position typically requires 5-10 years of software development experience.
- Ability to travel to domestic or international locations as required, up to 10% of the time.
- Ability to lift up to 25 pounds.
Contribution to Society | Fairness & Honesty | Cooperation & Team Spirit | Untiring Effort for Improvement | Courtesy & Humility | Adaptability | Gratitude
What we offer:
At Panasonic Avionics Corporation we realize the most important aspects in leading our industry are the bright minds behind everything we do. We are proud to offer our employees a highly competitive, comprehensive and flexible benefits program.
We offer flexible remote work options depending on your role. Where possible, we offer fully remote or hybrid work opportunities.
Paid time off: Exempt Salaried employees receive unlimited PTO. This means that there is no fixed number, range, or limit to the amount of Personal and Vacation Days that may be taken for exempt employees. Non-exempt hourly employees accrue 14 vacation days per year + 7 sick days + 3 personal days. Accrual rate increases with tenure. All employees receive 11 company paid holidays per year. We also close our offices at the corporate level in the U.S. between Christmas and New Year. For operational positions that are expected to work on holidays, we provide additional compensation for hours worked.
Health Insurance: Medical insurance offerings from Aetna and Kaiser (CA &HI). Options for Employee Only, Employee + Spouse/Domestic Partner, Employee + Children, or Family. Dental PPO and DMO options & Vision insurance through EyeMed or VSP.
401K with 50% match on up to 8% contribution, full vested from day 1
Other offerings include: Wellness Program, Counseling services, FSA & HSA, Life Insurance for employee, spouse and child, AD&D Insurance, Long-term and Short-term disability, Critical Illness Insurance, Accident Insurance, Legal Assistance, Pet Insurance, Identity Theft Protection, Dependent Care FLSA, Education Assistance, Commuter Program, Employee Purchase Program, Service Award Program.
All applicants are subject to Company policies, third party customer and worksite requirements, and government requirements, regarding vaccination and/or testing for COVID-19. Where permitted by applicable law, applicants may be required to be fully vaccinated with an authorized COVID-19 vaccine as a condition of employment, unless they are eligible for and obtain an exemption based on a reasonable accommodation because of a disability or a sincerely held religious belief, practice, or observance. While the Company strongly encourages COVID-19 vaccinations, it may require vaccination and/or testing for positions in which third party customer, worksite, or government requirements apply, in accordance with applicable law. At those locations where requirements apply, exemptions will be considered based on applicable law.