Panasonic Energy of North America (PENA) is collaborating with Tesla Motors, Inc. in a large-scale advanced battery manufacturing facility known as the Gigafactory near Reno, Nevada, which is known for its quality of life and expansive outdoor adventures. Panasonic manufactures and supplies cylindrical lithium-ion cells for the world’s leading electric vehicle manufacturer, Tesla Motors, Inc. Based on the battery demand from Tesla, the Gigafactory plans to produce cells which will double the world’s current production.
Our mission at PENA is to make the vision of affordable Electric Vehicles a reality by production of the world’s safest, highest-quality, and lowest-cost batteries. Through this effort we will create a clean energy society and our products will change society’s use of and perceptions of electric power.
Will be responsible for the preparation of and issuance of purchase orders for products and services that are used to maintain and fix manufacturing equipment. Our ideal candidate will contribute with passion and proven technical expertise to establish and manage vendors as well as analyze performance for strategic purchasing. Further, the candidate will execute timely procurement of services, parts etc. to ensure successful production operations.
Primary Role and Responsibilities
- Part of a team that manages the purchasing of indirect materials associated with maintenance, repair, and operations, such as pneumatic cylinders, sensors, bearings, filtration, sub-assemblies, supplies, equipment and services at the most favorable cost and at terms consistent with providing superior service to internal customers.
- Role will be responsible for the ordering and receipt of materials requested by Production and Engineering teams for manufacturing production.
- Responsible for daily communication with the receiving team and confirmation of materials arriving. Also, responsible for handoff of materials to the team member expecting materials.
- Work with Manufacturing Management and Production Engineering to establish specifications and procurement needs to ensure successful operations.
- Identify and select vendors to procure materials and/or equipment etc. to meet criteria of price, quality, quantity, availability, and delivery dates and place orders.
- Perform accurate and timely execution of incoming requests while maintaining high Quality and Customer Service standards.
- Assist with import/export procedures as well as interfacing with JPY vendors for equipment purchase and repair.
- Provide suggestions to improve supply chain, solve shortage issue and strengthen supplier relationships.
- Analyze departmental purchase requisitions for completeness and accuracy of information. Contact department or initiator to clarify and complete information. Determine method needed to process requisition.
- Monitor and maintain records regarding pricing and ordering of materials.
- Control MOQ (minimum order quantity), freight and handling costs.
- Monitor, analyze and report material variances to standard cost.
- Prepare reports analysis and recommendations.
- Assist in all the other purchasing department duties as required.
- Other miscellaneous duties as assigned.
Education, Experience, and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in business or related field preferred.
- 3+ years of equivalent work experience in purchasing preferred.
- Proficient in MS Office with intermediate Excel skills.
- Technical knowledge related to engineering, HVAC, equipment/machine maintenance.
- Data analysis experience.
- Ability to read and understand engineering drawings a plus.
- Bilingual in Japanese is highly preferred.
- Operate as a collaborative team member and function with minimum supervision.
- Thrive in demanding, deadline driven culture.
- Ability to multi-task, pay attention to detail ad prioritize/manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Excellent organizational skills as well as strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to lift 35lbs or more regularly.
In addition to an environment that is as innovative as our products, we offer competitive salaries and benefits. Panasonic is an Equal Opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to: race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. All qualified individuals are required to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation.
Pre-employment drug testing is required. Due to the high volume of responses, we will only be able to respond to candidates of interest. Panasonic Energy of North America will not sponsor applicants for work visas for this position. All candidates must have valid authorization to work in the U.S. Thank you for your interest in Panasonic Energy Corporation of North America.