Senior Mechatronics Engineer
Panasonic Energy of North America (PENA) is seeking ambitious engineers to lead design and implementation of the next generation of cell manufacturing technology. Mechatronics engineers at PENA are responsible for designing and implementing advanced process and automation technology into our electrode and assembly manufacturing lines.
- Being a part of Panasonic’s Process Development Engineering team. The Process Development team is a multifunctional team responsible for developing the next generation of advanced process and industrial automation technology in the cell manufacturing space.
- Drive innovation and development of core process technologies and new sensing/automation systems.
- Scaling projects from proof of concept testing to mass implementation across multiple tools and production lines.
- Work with related engineering teams (Manufacturing Engineering, Process Engineering, Controls), Quality Control, and Production to identify pervasive process issues driving defect rates and operational inefficiencies.
- Design, development, and implementation of new mechanical, process, and sensing systems. Coordination with relevant teams for in-line testing.
- Utilize large datasets to identify pervasive process failure modes and tracking project benefits. Track production data to track project benefits.
- Communication of defect rate drivers and countermeasures to upper management and leadership.
- Documentation of system design and operational workflows (P&ID, PFD, electrical, PCN, SOP writing).
Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) Requirements:
- To ensure the health and safety in the workplace and for the protection of our employees, wearing PPE is a possibility and may include equipment such as a full Tyvek suit, safety shoes, gloves, safety glasses, face mask, bump cap, and a full hazmat suit that includes a respirator.
The foregoing description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills and efforts or work conditions associated with the job. It is intended to be an accurate reflection of the general nature and level of the job.
Qualifications: Requirements - Required and/or Preferred
- Basic: Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering or similar discipline.
- Preferred: Master’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering or similar discipline.
- 7+ years experience in mechanical design and/or industrial automation.
- High aptitude for mechanical and overall system design.
- Prior experience with programming PLCs or authoring PCNs.
- Prior experience managing contractors for equipment installations.
- Prior experience working in and with machine shops (internal/external) for parts fabrication.
- Exceptional communication abilities. Capable of coordinating project installations and testing across multiple teams and management levels.
- Exceptional machine and process troubleshooting capabilities.
- Working knowledge of conventional lithium-ion battery manufacturing processes.
- Knowledge or experience with 3D CAD, mechanical drawings, MPI, P&IDs.
- Must possess engineering skills (process development/improvement, troubleshooting, data analysis, tolerancing, MPI’s).
- Capable of identifying critical process parameters. Knowledge of FTA, FMEA, etc.
- Strong team working skills at all levels of an organization, especially skilled at working with direct labor to understand challenges and work on developing optimal solutions using structured methods.
- Self-starter who works well independently and an outstanding ability to follow up with minimal direction and will focus on team success.
- Able to manage multiple concurrent tasks in a fast-paced environment, effectively prioritize work, and deliver quality results.
- Direct experience with Mitsubishi, Omron, and/or Siemens controllers.
- Direct experience in development and installation of vision and laser profiling systems.
- Direct experience in implementation of fiber and/or UV lasers into mass production processes.
- Experience with industrial data analysis tools (JMP, Minitab).
- Experience in a high-volume manufacturing environment (1M+ units per day) such as batteries or electronic devices.
- Experience in lithium-ion battery process development.
Physical Activities: (Percentage of time (equaling 100%) during the normal workday the employee is required to)
- Stand: 20%
Tools and/or Equipment: (Required frequency is: Not required (0%), Occasional (1-33%), Frequent (34-66%, Continuous (67-100%)
- Office Equipment:Continuous
Required Lifting and Carrying: (Required frequency is: Not required (0%), Occasional (1-33%), Frequent (34-66%, Continuous (67-100%)
- Up to 10 lbs.:Frequent
- Up to 20 lbs.:Frequent
- Up to 35 lbs.:Frequent
- Team-lift only (over 35 lbs.):Frequent
Panasonic Energy of North America (PENA) is collaborating with Tesla at a massive battery factory near Reno, Nevada which is known for its quality of life and expansive outdoor adventures. Panasonic's role at the Gigafactory is to manufacture and supply cylindrical lithium-ion cells to Tesla for their electric vehicles and energy storage systems.
Over the past few years, the Gigafactory has grown to the largest lithium-ion battery factory in the world. Together with our partner Tesla, we continue to revolutionize the lithium-ion battery space and accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable energy and transportation.
Our mission at PENA is to make the vision of affordable Electric Vehicles a reality by producing the world’s safest, high quality, and lowest cost batteries. Through this effort we will create a clean energy society and our products will change society’s use of and perceptions of electric power.
In addition to an environment that is as innovative as our products, we offer competitive salaries and benefits.
Pre-employment drug testing is required. Due to the high volume of responses, we will only be able to respond to candidates of interest. All candidates must have valid authorization to work in the U.S. without restriction.
Panasonic is an Equal Opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by law. All qualified individuals are required to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation.
Thank you for your interest in Panasonic Energy of North America.