Mechanical Engineer III
The Mechanical Engineer III is responsible for supporting the battery production operations to ensure productivity, quality, cost and KPI’s (Key Performance Indicators) are met. Additionally, the Engineer works to optimize the overall efficiencies of manufacturing equipment, effectively and quickly reduce defect and loss when confronted with challenges and troubleshoot and solve unknow problems that might arise. Furthermore, the Engineer could grow and advanced to a senior or lead mechanical engineer.
- Experienced (5+ years with engineering) who is interested in moving into leadership (i.e. Senior Engineer, Lead Engineer, etc.)
- Being a part of Panasonic’s Battery Manufacturing Engineering team. The Manufacturing Engineering team is responsible for supporting Panasonic’s battery production to ensure our world-class production is running smoothly and without issue. In addition, we continually seek to improve our process by means of productivity, quality, cost, and other metrics
- Provides engineering support related to daily production activities. Works to optimize OEE (Overall Equipment Efficiency) to increase productivity and reduce defect and loss
- Utilizes OEE and other production data to effectively manage tasks and activities
- Demonstrating solid troubleshooting skills and ability to quickly solve unknown problems
- Troubleshooting real time production problems to maintain production and reduce defects
- Working with Maintenance teams to coordinate maintenance activities ranging from reactive to preventative maintenance
- Working with engineering/maintenance teams to develop permanent countermeasures to common problems in daily manufacturing. Can relate to productivity, quality, loss, safety, etc.
- Implementing and expand these new permanent countermeasures into production lines
- Monitoring and auditing manufacturing processes to ensure product specifications and standards are achieved
- Applying technical knowledge to develop clear and standard work instructions, SOP’s and troubleshooting guides
- Implementing and supporting manufacturing industrial automation
- Other duties may be assigned
Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) Requirements:
- To ensure the health and safety in the workplace and for the protection of our employees, wearing PPE is a requirement for some roles at PENA and may include equipment such as a full Tyvek suit, safety shoes, gloves, safety glasses, face mask, bump cap, and a full hazmat suit that includes a respirator.
The foregoing description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills and efforts or work conditions associated with the job. It is intended to be an accurate reflection of the general nature and level of the job.
Qualifications: Requirements - Required and/or Preferred
- Basic/Required: Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering or similar discipline
- Preferred: Master’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering or similar discipline
- Minimum of 5+ years of mechanical engineering experience
- Evidence of exceptional ability. Panasonic follows a culture of full-cycle engineering where members will have full responsibility and accountability for their projects from start to finish. We are looking for the best of the best
- Experience performing engineering functions and responsibilities in a manufacturing environment
- Able to work production shift schedules
- Able to train manufacturing operators on new or revised manufacturing process instructions or tooling
- Should be flexible with the working environment and be able to perform job duties between manufacturing floor and office/desk
- Must be able to perform machine and process troubleshooting and apply root cause analysis
- Strong manufacturing background with high mechanical aptitude
- Knowledge or experience with 3D CAD, mechanical drawings, MPI, P&IDs
- Experience design fixtures, jigs, brackets, etc.
- Must possess engineering skills (process development/improvement, troubleshooting, data analysis, tolerancing, MPI’s)
- Capable of identifying critical process parameters. Knowledge of FTA, FMEA, etc.
- Strong team working skills at all levels of an organization, especially skilled at working with direct labor to understand challenges and work on developing optimal solutions using structured methods
- Self-starter who works well independently and an outstanding ability to follow up with minimal direction and will focus on team success
- Able to manage multiple concurrent tasks in a fast-paced environment, effectively prioritize work, and deliver quality results
- A strong work ethic with a “get the job done” approach who consistently delivers excellent customer service, both internally and externally
- Must have working-level knowledge of the English language, including reading, writing, and speaking English
- Experience with control strategy, PLC, and sensor/actuator relationships is a plus
- Previous experience with Industrial data analysis or Manufacturing Execution System (MES) desired
- Experience in a high-volume manufacturing environment (1M+ units per day) such as batteries or electronic devices
- Experience working in machine shops and fabricating machine parts
- Experience coordinating and collaboration with contractors
- Familiar with six sigma methodologies and tools
- Alignment to Panasonic’s seven (7) core principles (contribution to society, fairness and honesty, cooperation and team spirit, untiring effort for improvement, courtesy and humility, adaptability, gratitude)
Physical Activities: (Percentage of time (equaling 100%) during the normal workday the employee is required to)
- Sit: 20%
- Walk: 50%
- Stand: 20%
- Lift: 10%
Required Lifting and Carrying: (Required frequency is: Not required (0%), Occasional (1-33%), Frequent (34-66%, Continuous (67-100%)
- Up to 10 lbs.: Frequent
- Up to 20 lbs.: Frequent
- Up to 35 lbs.: Frequent
- Team-lift only (over 35 lbs.): Frequent
Panasonic Energy of North America (PENA) is collaborating with Tesla at a massive battery factory near Reno, Nevada which is known for its quality of life and expansive outdoor adventures. Panasonic's role at the Gigafactory is to manufacture and supply cylindrical lithium-ion cells to Tesla for their electric vehicles and energy storage systems.
Over the past few years, the Gigafactory has grown to the largest lithium-ion battery factory in the world. Together with our partner Tesla, we continue to revolutionize the lithium-ion battery space and accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable energy and transportation.
Our mission at PENA is to make the vision of affordable Electric Vehicles a reality by producing the world’s safest, high quality, and lowest cost batteries. Through this effort we will create a clean energy society and our products will change society’s use of and perceptions of electric power.
In addition to an environment that is as innovative as our products, we offer competitive salaries and benefits.
Pre-employment drug testing is required. Due to the high volume of responses, we will only be able to respond to candidates of interest. All candidates must have valid authorization to work in the U.S. without restriction.
Panasonic is an Equal Opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by law. All qualified individuals are required to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation.
Thank you for your interest in Panasonic Energy of North America.