Mechanical Engineer Co-Op (January - June 2022) Wilmington, MA
Every moment of every day, people all over the world turn to Panasonic to make their lives simpler, more enjoyable, more productive and more secure. Since our founding almost a century ago, we’ve been committed to improving peoples’ lives and making the world a better place–one customer, one business, one innovative leap at a time. Come join our journey.
Click here to learn more about how Panasonic is creating a better life, a better world.
Watch this video to see how our employees are shaping the technologies that move us.
TeraDiode (TDI) is a Massachusetts based Panasonic subsidiary and a world leader in developing high-power, high-brightness diode laser systems. Our kW-class direct diode laser technology is a disruptive force in the materials processing industry, which is currently dominated by Fiber and CO2 lasers. Our patented wavelength beam combining technology was developed by our co-founders from MIT Lincoln Laboratory for defense, industrial, and commercial materials processing applications.
The Mechanical Engineer Co-Op will work with TDI's team of engineers to design new and make improvements to existing products. The design includes opto-mechanical and mechanical concept development, design detailing, thermal and stress analysis, and tolerance analysis. Assist with the mechanical design and analysis of TDI's product line of high power, high brightness direct-diode lasers from design through verification. Interface with vendors, quality, manufacturing, and assembly technicians to better understand design requirements and project goals.
We are seeking a highly motivated mechanical engineer co-op to work alongside our team of mechanical, optical, and laser engineers to help design, test, implement, and improve our unique high-power lasers. The ideal candidate will have experience creating high tolerance designs and technical drawings, ready for the challenges of a fast-paced work environment and looking to gain experience as a design engineer.
This is not a remote position and requires an onsite presence at our offices in Wilmington, MA
What You’ll Get to Do:
- Supports the mechanical design of new products and make improvements to existing products in CAD based on requirement and specifications outlined by senior members of the engineering team.
- Evaluate products, parts, and process for cost efficiency and reliability
- Create detail design drawings for mechanical and optical components to be reviewed by the engineering team
- Works to develop tools and fixtures to aid in the manufacturing of the product design
- Perform tolerance and fit analysis for designs to be presented to project managers for approval
- Help develop procedures, processes, and work instructions.
- Document product and tooling designs in the PLM system
- Creates and maintains detailed BOMs for new and existing products
What You’ll Bring:
Education & Experience:
- Undergraduate Student with a concentration in Mechanical Engineering with 2+ years of schooling completed
- Prior engineering internship experience strongly preferred
- Proficient with Solidworks or an equivalent mechanical design software package, PLM tools and tolerance stack-ups preferred
- Prior experience creating, reviewing and reading technical drawings
- GD&T a plus
- Experience in the design and development process with emphasis on precision and design for manufacturability (DFM)
- Organized and hardworking engineering student looking to make an impact on a fast-moving and highly technical product
- Ability to interpret and analyze test results
- Self-motivated and generally interested in lasers, physics, or high precision engineering
- Effective, hard worker with a team player can-do approach
- Required to communicate with both engineering and production team members
- Must have excellent oral, written and presentation skills
Other Requirements: e.g., working conditions, physical requirements, travel, etc.
- Willing to perform manual labor
- Must be authorized to work in the U.S.
Note: this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee(s) for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.