Panasonic Energy Corporation of North America (PENA) has partnered with Tesla Motors, Inc. to construct a large-scale advanced battery manufacturing facility known as the Gigafactory near Reno, Nevada. Panasonic's role in the Gigafactory will be to manufacture and supply cylindrical lithium-ion cells and based on the battery demand from Tesla, the Gigafactory is planned to produce 35GWh of cells, which will double the world’s current production!
Our mission at PENA is to make the vision of affordable Electric Vehicles a reality by production of the world’s safest, high quality and lowest cost batteries. Through this effort we will create a clean energy society and our products will change society’s use of and perceptions of electric power.
Primary Role and Responsibilities
- First and foremost, the Indirect Materials Supervisor is responsible for their own safety and the safety of their team. As such, this function is expected to have zero recordable incidents and each employee submit at least 1 near miss report per month; 1 per week is recommended.
- Second metric of this role is making sure Production is never interrupted due to lack of spare parts or any other indirect material including PPE, tools, etc.
- Third are metrics to improve profitability including storing material in controlled cabinets as close as possible to point of use to minimize travel time, distance, and waiting to get parts when a machine is down; cost of carrying inventory; inventory accuracy; labor efficiency of Clerks assuring zero idle time during work hours; and workplace organization (5s).
- Scheduling Clerks including daily coverage attendance and staggered breaks in such a manner that the Supermarket is always never unattended 24/7.
- Lead receipt, and storage of all indirect material improving / optimizing our receiving process to ensure better knowledge and control of on-hand quantities.
- Cycle counting.
- Setting up warehouse and storage spaces including pallet rack assembly, installing wire grating and other shelving material, locating bins on shelves, determining bin labeling nomenclature, labeling bins, and stocking bins in the most efficient densely filled manner. Coordinating with Facilities, Construction, Security and other teams to install badge scan access to rooms, maintaining lock and gate condition, assuring adequate lighting and security of controlled inventory spaces, proper function of HVAC systems, etc.
- Assure part sizes, weights, and safety stock values are determined, entered, and maintained in our database and used to increase the speed / efficiency of the cycle counting process (through weigh-counting), and order size guidance to Purchasing in the form of economic order quantity recommendations.
- Coordinate personnel assigned to handle material to achieve daily responsibilities, including but not limited to, task assignments and break scheduling.
- Execute tasks and assignments from management, utilizing available resources, to efficiently complete requests within and/or outside the normal scope of work.
- Communicate with leadership and customer representatives regarding status of materials, issues and/or opportunities to improve material flow processes.
- Verify daily operational checks on mobile equipment (condition of the forks, lift mechanisms, brakes, wheels, control handles for wear and tear, fluid leaks, damage, etc.) have been performed. Confirm recording and inspection on equipment including, cleaning, checking and adding fluids as needed.
- Receipt and transport of raw materials using mobile equipment of various types (manual pallet jacks, ride-on pallet jacks, lift trucks, etc.)
- Movement and transportation of in process product throughout the production area.
- Ability to accurately recognize and distinguish between part numbers and lot numbers of greater than 10 characters.
- Demonstrate strong problem solving and trouble shooting skills related to ASRS equipment and MES related material issues.
- Communicate with co-workers the status of the current material or product at hand, damaged packaging, verbally either directly or through a two-way radio.
- Confirm completion of appropriate documentation i.e. delivery orders, lot tracking sheets, quality deviation sheets, quality specifications and attributes, to downstream customer by material handling resources.
- Must adhere to company rules and policy.
- Must be able to work in a team environment.
- Must be willing to perform duties at a higher or lower level as assigned.
- Must be able to complete end of shift report.
- Other tasks as-assigned.
- Bachelor degree required.
- 5 years of experience in a fast-paced high-volume manufacturing environment.
- Must have a minimum of 2 years of leadership experience
- Must have some experience with Microsoft Office.
- Experience in material handling, warehouse operations strongly preferred.
- Must be able to motivate team members, and work in a high performing team environment. Will need to counsel and deliver performance appraisals to operators.
- In the absence of a supervisor, must be able to make safe, business minded, conscientious decisions when issues arise.
- Must have a safety conscientious attitude.
- Able to use a manual pallet jack, motorized pallet jack or lift truck. Familiarity with MES, LOTO, FIFO, Lot numbers.
- Ability to perform basic mathematical calculations and accurate counting of raw materials and product in an active environment.
- Familiar with computer terminals, Operator Interface Terminal, touch screens, RF scanners.
Must be able to read and understand English instructions, written and verbally.
- Role is stationed in our Supermarket office space.
- Must wear PPE including, safety shoes, clean suit, dust mask or respirator, gloves, safety glasses/safety goggles, hair net.
- Must be able to lift 50lb ingredient bags. Ability to climb stairs, climb ladders, reach, squat, tolerate prolonged standing/walking, balance, bend from trunk, crawl, kneel, push and pull objects. Must be able to lift 50lb ingredient buckets.
- Must be able to work up to 12 hour shifts.
- Must be able to pull/push pallets weighing up to 1500 lbs. on a motorized pallet jack.
Exposure to heat, dust, and noisy conditions.
In addition to an environment that’s as innovative as our products, we offer competitive salaries and benefits. Panasonic is an Equal Opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to: race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. All qualified individuals are required to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation.
Pre-employment drug testing is required. Due to the high volume of responses, we will only be able to respond to candidates of interest. Panasonic Energy of North America will not sponsor applicants for work visas for this position. All candidates must have valid authorization to work in the U.S. Thank you for your interest in Panasonic Energy Corporation of North America.