Materials Characterization Technician
Panasonic Energy of North America (PENA) is seeking ambitious scientists to lead the world’s largest lithium ion battery initiative. With superior battery designs and the fastest manufacturing lines in the world, Panasonic is producing millions of batteries per day at the Gigafactory to support Tesla’s electric vehicle and energy storage businesses. Panasonic invites you to join us in this ongoing full-scale effort to electrify our society. At PENA, scientists quickly become experts in the fundamentals of lithium-ion cell technology and work to integrate that understanding with high speed, automated manufacturing methods to produce the highest performance and highest quality lithium ion batteries.
- Sample preparation including but not limited to metallurgical mounting, grinding and polishing, transverse mounting and polishing, vibratory polishing, carbon and sputter coating, ultrasonic cleaning, and ion milling
- Develop methods on the operation and fundamentals of SEM, dual beam FIB, and EDS
- Collaboration with materials engineering team in their communication with material suppliers related to the development and validation of detailed material specifications for new materials and the resolution of quality issues
- Drawing conclusions that lead to improved materials and cell performance
- Upkeep of assigned instrumentation including routine maintenance, preventative maintenance, and calibration
- Articulate and present technical data and images to groups of people
- Other duties may be assigned
Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) Requirements:
- To ensure the health and safety in the workplace and for the protection of our employees, wearing PPE is a possibility and may include equipment such as a full Tyvek suit, safety shoes, gloves, safety glasses, face mask, bump cap, and a full hazmat suit that includes a respirator.
The foregoing description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills and efforts or work conditions associated with the job. It is intended to be an accurate reflection of the general nature and level of the job.
Qualifications: Requirements - Required and/or Preferred
- Basic: A.S. degree in a scientific or engineering discipline or equivalent years of technical experience.
- Preferred: B.S. or higher in chemistry, materials science, or engineering.
- Fundamental understanding of electron microscopy including dual beam FIB, SEM, and EDS
- Basic understanding of EBSD, STEM, and lamella preparation
- Familiarity with MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Experience with metallurgical sample preparation
- Ability to and create and present technical presentations under supervision
- Able to work independently while also possessing the skills to effectively collaborate and communicate
- Background in high-volume manufacturing
- Knowledge of lithium ion battery manufacturing
- Experience in cell dissection and failure analysis methods
- Thermal analysis techniques including DSC, TGA, and DMA
Physical Activities: (Percentage of time (equaling 100%) during the normal workday the employee is required to)
- Stand: 20%
Tools and/or Equipment: (Required frequency is: Not required (0%), Occasional (1-33%), Frequent (34-66%, Continuous (67-100%)
- Office Equipment:Continuous
Required Lifting and Carrying: (Required frequency is: Not required (0%), Occasional (1-33%), Frequent (34-66%, Continuous (67-100%)
- Up to 10 lbs.:Frequent
- Up to 20 lbs.:Frequent
- Up to 35 lbs.:Frequent
- Team-lift only (over 35 lbs.):Frequent
Panasonic Energy of North America (PENA) is collaborating with Tesla at a massive battery factory near Reno, Nevada which is known for its quality of life and expansive outdoor adventures. Panasonic's role at the Gigafactory is to manufacture and supply cylindrical lithium-ion cells to Tesla for their electric vehicles and energy storage systems.
Over the past few years, the Gigafactory has grown to the largest lithium-ion battery factory in the world. Together with our partner Tesla, we continue to revolutionize the lithium-ion battery space and accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable energy and transportation.
Our mission at PENA is to make the vision of affordable Electric Vehicles a reality by producing the world’s safest, high quality, and lowest cost batteries. Through this effort we will create a clean energy society and our products will change society’s use of and perceptions of electric power.
In addition to an environment that is as innovative as our products, we offer competitive salaries and benefits.
Pre-employment drug testing is required. Due to the high volume of responses, we will only be able to respond to candidates of interest. All candidates must have valid authorization to work in the U.S. without restriction.
Panasonic is an Equal Opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by law. All qualified individuals are required to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation.
Thank you for your interest in Panasonic Energy of North America.
Connect with the recruiter, Joe Richie: www.linkedin.com/in/GigafactoryRecruiter