Production Engineering Intern
Panasonic Energy of North America (PENA) is collaborating with Tesla Motors, Inc. in a large-scale advanced battery manufacturing facility known as the Gigafactory near Reno, Nevada which is known for its quality of life and expansive outdoor adventures. Panasonic manufactures and supplies cylindrical lithium-ion cells for the world’s leading electric vehicle manufacturer, Tesla Motors, Inc. Based on the battery demand from Tesla, the Gigafactory plans to produce cells which will double the world’s current production.
Our mission at PENA is to make the vision of affordable Electric Vehicles a reality by production of the world’s safest, highest-quality, and lowest-cost batteries. Through this effort we will create a clean energy society and our products will change society’s use of and perceptions of electric power.
- Conducts battery cell manufacturing process improvement for mass production lines.
- Conducts research and development work for new and existing production lines to improve cell assembly process on safety, quality and productivity.
- Line setup and evaluation of performance of manufacturing equipment.
- Analyzes functions of equipment and machinery to reduce time and cost of manufacturing processes.
- Provides engineering support to cell production teams to resolve manufacturing process issues.
- Works closely with other team members to increase understanding of failure modes, performance and life expectancy of equipment.
- Applies principles and knowledge of mechanical and process engineering to solve production problems.
- Other duties may be assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must be currently enrolled as a fulltime student at an accredited four-year college or university.
- Completion of at least two years of full-time enrollment (minimum 12 credit hours per semester) in a Bachelor’s Degree program in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, and Chemical Engineering.
- Good understanding of basic manufacturing principles.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Excellent interpersonal, teamwork, and collaboration skills.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to write and communicate technical information clearly and concisely.
- Fluency with Microsoft Office Suite (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook).
- Ability to apply principles of logical or scientific thinking to a wide range of intellectual and practical problems.
- Completion of three years of full-time enrollment (minimum 12 credit hours per semester) in a Bachelor’s Degree program in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or Chemical Engineering.
- GPA of 3.0 or higher.
- Previous coursework in battery science, materials analysis, or advanced manufacturing.
- Hands-on experience through lab research, project teams, or previous jobs.
- Previous experience using CAD software
- A desire to create a sustainable future through energy storage, renewable energy, and electric vehicles.
In addition to an environment that’s as innovative as our products, we offer competitive salaries and benefits. Panasonic is an Equal Opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to: race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. All qualified individuals are required to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation.
Pre-employment drug testing is required. Due to the high volume of responses, we will only be able to respond to candidates of interest. All candidates must have valid authorization to work in the U.S. Thank you for your interest in Panasonic Energy of North America.
Panasonic Energy of North America will not sponsor applicants for work visas for this position.
- The program will be a fulltime paid summer internship working for Panasonic at the Gigafactory in Reno, NV.
- The program will be 10 weeks in length, and is planned to occur between Monday, June 3rd and Friday, August 9th. This date range is subject to change.