Manufacturing Engineer I
The Manufacturing Engineer implements and maintains methods, operation sequence, and processes in the manufacture or fabrication of parts, components, sub-assemblies, and final assemblies. The Engineer estimates manufacturing cost, determines time standards and makes recommendations for tooling and process requirements of new or existing product lines.
- Being a part of Panasonic’s assembly production process. The assembly group is responsible for the winding and cell assembly process that manufactures our cylindrical batteries from the electrode and other constituent parts
- Analyzing and optimizing production processes to maximize performance, safety, and quality
- Improving design of process machinery
- Applying theory to real world applications
- Monitoring and auditing manufacturing processes to ensure product specifications and standards are achieved
- Participating in the transition of a product from concept to complete implementation
- Applying technical knowledge to innovate, design and develop processes and SOPs
- Implementing and supporting manufacturing industrial automation
- Working as one member of a specific team to develop, validate, and improve processes
Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) Requirements:
- To ensure the health and safety in the workplace and for the protection of our employees, wearing PPE is a possibility and may include equipment such as a full Tyvek suit, safety shoes, gloves, safety glasses, face mask, bump cap, and a full hazmat suit that includes a respirator.
The foregoing description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills and efforts or work conditions associated with the job. It is intended to be an accurate reflection of the general nature and level of the job.
Qualifications: Requirements - Required and/or Preferred
- Basic: High School diploma or GED
- Preferred: Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical or Manufacturing Engineering; or the equivalent in experience and evidence of exceptional ability
- Able to train manufacturing operators on new or revised manufacturing process instructions or tooling
- Should be flexible with the working environment and be able to perform job duties between manufacturing floor and office/desk
- Must be able to perform machine and process troubleshooting and apply root cause analysis
- Strong manufacturing background with high mechanical aptitude
- Previous experience with 3D CAD, mechanical drawings, MPI, P&IDs
- Must possess engineering skills (process development/improvement, troubleshooting, data analysis, tolerancing, MPI’s)
- Strong team working skills at all levels of an organization, especially skilled at working with direct labor to understand challenges and work on developing optimal solutions using structured methods
- Deep understanding of BOMs, manufacturability, process design, process validation, assembly methods, quality control, design reviews and cost reduction methodologies.
- Experience breaking down high-level (e.g. device level) performance issues into addressable action items
- Capable of identifying critical process parameters and applying statistics to process measurement and control
- Deep knowledge of mechanical detail drawings and ANSI/ASME standards
- Experience with fabrication processes (precision machining, plastics, precision sheet metal, etc.)
- Must have working-level knowledge of the English language, including reading, writing, and speaking English
- Experience with control strategy, PLC, and sensor/actuator relationships is a plus
- Previous experience with Industrial data analysis or Manufacturing Execution System (MES) desired
- Multicultural experience preferred
- Product Lifecycle Management (PLM)/Product Data Management (PDM)/Enterprise Resource. Planning (ERP) experience preferred
- Proficiency skills in MS Office (Word, Power Point, Excel, Outlook) preferred
Physical Activities: (Percentage of time (equaling 100%) during the normal workday the employee is required to)
- Sit: 25%
- Walk: 25%
- Stand: 25%
- Lift: 25%
Tools and/or Equipment: (Required frequency is: Not required (0%), Occasional (1-33%), Frequent (34-66%, Continuous (67-100%)
- Keyboard/Computer: Continuous
- Office Equipment: Continuous
- Phone Continuous
Required Lifting and Carrying: (Required frequency is: Not required (0%), Occasional (1-33%), Frequent (34-66%, Continuous (67-100%)
- Up to 10 lbs.: Continuous
- Up to 20 lbs.: Continuous
- Up to 35 lbs.: Continuous
- Team-lift only (over 35 lbs.): Continuous
Panasonic Energy of North America (PENA) is collaborating with Tesla Motors, Inc. in a large-scale advanced battery manufacturing facility known as the Gigafactory near Reno, Nevada which is known for its quality of life and expansive outdoor adventures. Panasonic manufactures and supplies cylindrical lithium-ion cells for the world’s leading electric vehicle manufacturer, Tesla Motors, Inc. Based on the battery demand from Tesla, the Gigafactory is producing cells which will double the world’s current production.
Our mission at PENA is to make the vision of affordable Electric Vehicles a reality by production of the world’s safest, highest-quality, and lowest-cost batteries. Through this effort we will create a clean energy society and our products will change society’s use of and perceptions of electric power.
In addition to an environment that is as innovative as our products, we offer competitive compensation and benefits. Panasonic is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer.
Pre-employment drug testing is required. Due to the high volume of responses, we will only be able to respond to candidates of interest. All candidates must have valid authorization to work in the U.S. without restriction.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by law. All qualified individuals are required to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation.
Thank you for your interest in Panasonic Energy of North America.