Panasonic Energy of North America (PENA) is collaborating with Tesla Motors, Inc. in a large-scale advanced battery manufacturing facility known as the Gigafactory near Reno, Nevada which is known for its quality of life and expansive outdoor adventures. Panasonic manufactures and supplies cylindrical lithium-ion cells for the world’s leading electric vehicle manufacturer, Tesla Motors, Inc. Based on the battery demand from Tesla, the Gigafactory plans to produce cells which will double the world’s current production.
Our mission at PENA is to make the vision of affordable Electric Vehicles a reality by production of the world’s safest, highest-quality, and lowest-cost batteries. Through this effort we will create a clean energy society and our products will change society’s use of and perceptions of electric power.
- Being a part of Panasonic’s assembly production process. The assembly group is responsible for the winding and cell assembly process that manufactures our cylindrical batteries from the electrode and other constituent parts.
- Analyzing and optimizing production processes to maximize performance, safety, and quality.
- Improving design of process machinery.
- Applying theory to real world applications.
- Monitoring and auditing manufacturing processes to ensure product specifications and standards are achieved.
- Participating in the transition of a product from concept to complete implementation.
- Applying technical knowledge to innovate, design and develop processes and SOPs.
- Implementing and supporting manufacturing industrial automation.
- Working as one member of a specific team to develop, validate, and improve processes.
We are seeking experienced manufacturing engineers. The ideal candidate will be comfortable in the manufacturing environment and be familiar with the relationship between machine, people, process, and material as they are related to product production. Our level 3 manufacturing engineers are experts in their ability to quickly learn new equipment and apply their mechanical aptitude and troubleshooting skills to keep the assembly process functioning. In addition to experience with equipment and tooling, conveyance systems, and pneumatic actuators, experience with control strategy, PLC, and sensor/actuator behavior is a plus. Our team succeeds by professional members and their strength for successful communication across all functional groups.
- B.S. in Mechanical or Manufacturing Engineering; or the equivalent in experience and evidence of exceptional ability.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in engineering in manufacturing or industrial automation.
- Able to train manufacturing operators on new or revised manufacturing process instructions or tooling.
- Should be flexible with the working environment and be able to perform job duties between manufacturing floor and office/desk.
- Must be able to perform machine and process troubleshooting and apply root cause analysis.
- Strong manufacturing background with high mechanical aptitude.
- Previous experience with 3D CAD, mechanical drawings, MPI, P&IDs.
- Must possess engineering skills (process development/improvement, troubleshooting, data analysis, tolerancing, MPI’s).
- Strong team working skills at all levels of an organization, especially skilled at working with direct labor to understand challenges and work on developing optimal solutions using structured methods.
- Deep understanding of BOMs, manufacturability, process design, process validation, assembly methods, quality control, design reviews and cost reduction methodologies.
- Experience breaking down high-level (e.g. device level) performance issues into addressable action items.
- Capable of identifying critical process parameters and applying statistics to process measurement and control.
- Strong skills with Microsoft Office
- Deep knowledge of mechanical detail drawings and ANSI/ASME standards.
- Experience with fabrication processes (precision machining, plastics, precision sheetmetal, etc.).
- Experience with control strategy, PLC, and sensor/actuator relationships is a plus.
- Previous experience with Industrial data analysis or Manufacturing Execution System (MES) desired.
- Multicultural experience preferred.
- Product Lifecycle Management (PLM)/Product Data Management (PDM)/Enterprise Resource.
- Planning (ERP) experience preferred.
In addition to an environment that’s as innovative as our products, we offer competitive salaries and benefits. Panasonic is an Equal Opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to: race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. All qualified individuals are required to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation.
Pre-employment drug testing is required. Due to the high volume of responses, we will only be able to respond to candidates of interest. All candidates must have valid authorization to work in the U.S. Thank you for your interest in Panasonic Energy of North America.
Panasonic Energy of North America will not sponsor applicants for work visas for this position.