Panasonic – Manager, Customs Compliance
Every moment of every day, people all over the world turn to Panasonic to make their lives simpler, more enjoyable, more productive and more secure. Since our founding almost a century ago, we’ve been committed to improving peoples’ lives and making the world a better place–one customer, one business, one innovative leap at a time. Come join our journey.
Click here to learn more about how Panasonic is creating a better life, a better world.
Watch this video to see how our employees are shaping the technologies that move us.
Do you have a customs broker license and subject matter expertise in customs compliance? Are you a prolific presenter with the ability to influence others and present ideas in an engaging and persuasive manner? If this sounds like you, we encourage you to apply! Come and join a high performance Logistics team that is committed to continuous improvement where you will get to collaborate with leaders of global sales companies and directly impact our corporate compliance programs.
What you will get to do:
Manager to oversee the staff responsible for the daily customs compliance and duty savings for PNA Companies and to ensure compliance to all government regulations and laws.
The Customs Compliance and Operations Manager will report to Senior Management of Logistics Group of Panasonic Corporation of North America (PNA.) The main role will be to manage the compliance function and staff, and oversee customs regulatory compliance for the imports and exports for all PNA Companies, and to ensure PNA is operating best practices related to day to day compliance issues with U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) for import compliance, and the Bureau of Industry and Security for export control compliance. This position will facilitate PNA’s relations with customs brokers and CBP under the concept of informed compliance and reasonable care. This person will also implement and manage all Customs and Border Protection programs.
Compliance Operations and Staff Management
- Maintain the model master for PNA Companies and Factories located in the United States
- Oversee import and export regulatory compliance processes, including:
- Manage process of HTS classification, valuation, and country of origin issues for imported commodities.
- Support of foreign trade zone issues.
- Ensure compliance with other government agency requirements including TSCA, FDA, FCC, APHIS, and others.
- Oversee entry issues and requirements for proper declaration to CBP.
- Oversee process for export control compliance including ECCN, Schedule B, and party screening.
- Increase knowledge of Panasonic product lines to support the compliance function.
- Support to PNA Finance as required for resolution of automated clearing house (ACH) allocations pertaining to customs duties.
- Identify and review cost or duty savings opportunities
- Assist and oversee the submission of duty drawback requests for all PNA companies and domestic factories to insure maximum recovery for product moved out of the country
- Research rulings, or request binding rulings from CBP as necessary.
- Work with staff to file protests or corrections to obtain applicable refunds of customs duties
- Work with sales, PNA Legal and staff to review GSP eligibility
- Develop new business opportunities both internal and external for compliance services and training as necessary.
- Manage five staff in the department and performs the following functions for the Logistics Department Oversee staff activities to insure correct commodity classifications.
- Train staff in procedures, both in import and export compliance.
- Ensure staff is skilled in critical areas of expertise in a wide array of compliance areas to support the compliance process.
- Revise and create forms for the use of the staff
- Direct work flow, insure clear communications
- Customs, Import/Export Regulatory Support
- Work closely with PNA Legal to insure proper coordination of a variety of complex compliance issues.
- Provide content expertise to both domestic and overseas company groups to support the compliance function and interpret government regulations and laws regarding import and export compliance.
- Participate in Trade Support Network (TSN) committee for automated commercial environment (ACE) development.
- Oversee ACE Trade Account as owner; and reporting
- Provide compliance content expertise and advice to PNA company personnel
- Assist PNA factories with the following work
- Establish compliance manuals and procedures to assist in the day to day operations of a compliance department within a factory.
- Assist factories in customs compliance
- Audit factories and sales companies for compliance based on U.S. Customs requirements
- Submit protests to U.S. Customs to refund overpaid duties to change in classifications or misclassification
- Provide content expertise related to IT system development including:
- Develop changes and updates for the Intranet web site
- Identify and coordinate improvements with software vendors
- Discover issues in Panasonic’s Trade Import system; work with IT and other parties to incorporate needed changes resulting from ever changing Federal regulations and business practices.
Broker Filer Supervision:
- Oversee transmission of classification and information to brokers and filers
- Manage and Oversee and broker/filer performance, including:
- Evaluate new customs brokers to guarantee that they are up to Panasonic standards regarding customs compliance
- Create standard operating procedures for brokers to follow
- Continue to evaluate current brokers and filers to insure proper compliance and measure.
- Establish guidelines for compliance
- Provide guidance as to policy
- Advise and instruct brokers / filers on issues of classification, value, origin, OGA, and regulatory compliance.
- Review exam status with customs brokers
- Procedures and Audit
Post entry and audit:
- Prepare and submit replies to CBP28, and CBP29 CBP requests for information and notices of action
- Prepare and submit replies to CBP penalty notices
- Review completed tasks of compliance personnel
- Review post entry amendments and protests.
- Direct company’s Importer Self-Assessment (ISA) program; allows for self-audits in lieu of CBP conducting their own audits of Panasonic companies.
- Create of procedures and methodologies for ISA
- Direct ISA sampling and audits for the companies.
- Prepare of results, and insure that reviews are completed
- Preparation of manuals and procedures for import compliance and export control, including:
- Develop and update of customs compliance manual
- Develop and update of export control manual
- Review of import and export compliance manuals for accuracy
- Create of compliance procedures, forms, and processes needed for enhanced compliance
What You’ll Bring:
Manages a staff of five outsourced staff members, including one team leader, three specialists, and one administrator
Review products for correct classification duty assessment. Must work with the product people, the factory and U.S. Customs. All parts must be reviewed for complexity against customs tariff classifications.
Be a licensed Customs Broker and maintain knowledge of government regulations. Knowledge of electronic components and consumer electronics is a plus. Excellent computer skills.
Key communication contacts are internal sales and product personnel, legal department, US Customs import specialists and other government officials pertaining to a variety of issues. This person must be able to pursue all parties to get the most accurate and correct classification of our products, and to resolve other regulatory issues regarding import and export control compliance. Must possess excellent verbal and written communication skills
What We Offer:
- Competitive compensation package
- Comprehensive benefits
- Pet Insurance
- Paid Parental Care Leave
- Employee Referral Program
- Educational Assistance
- Flexible Work Program
- Volunteer time Off
- Casual Dress Code
- Total Well Being Program
Panasonic is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by law or company policy. All qualified individuals are required to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation. Pre-employment drug testing is required for safety sensitive positions or as may otherwise be required by contract or law. Due to the high volume of responses, we will only be able to respond to candidates of interest. All candidates must have valid authorization to work in the U.S. Thank you for your interest in Panasonic Corporation of North America.