Panasonic Energy of North America (PENA) is collaborating with Tesla Motors, Inc. to construct a large-scale advanced battery manufacturing facility known as the Gigafactory near Reno, Nevada which is known for its quality of life and expansive outdoor adventures. Panasonic's role in the Gigafactory will be to manufacture and supply cylindrical lithium-ion cells and based on the battery demand from Tesla, the Gigafactory is planned to produce cells which will double the world’s current production!
Our mission at PENA is to make the vision of affordable Electric Vehicles a reality by production of the world’s safest, high quality and lowest cost batteries. Through this effort we will create a clean energy society and our products will change society’s use of and perceptions of electric power.
Primary Role and Responsibilities
- Plan machining by studying work orders, blueprints, engineering plans, materials, specifications, orthographic drawings, reference planes, locations of surfaces, and machining parameters.
- Program mills and lathes by entering instructions, including zero and reference points; setting tool registers, offsets, compensation, and conditional switches; calculating requirements, including basic math, geometry, and trigonometry; proving part programs.
- Sets-up mills and lathes by installing and adjusting three- and four-jaw chucks, tools, attachments, collets, bushings, cams, gears, stops, and stock pushers; indicating vices; tramming heads.
- Load feed mechanism by lifting stock into position.
- Verify settings by measuring positions, first-run part, and sample workpieces; adhering to international standards.
- Maintain specifications by observing drilling, grooving, and cutting, including turning, facing, knurling and thread chasing operations; taking measurements; detecting malfunctions; troubleshooting processes; adjusting and reprogramming controls; sharpening and replacing worn tools; adhering to quality assurance procedures and processes.
- Maintain safe operations by adhering to safety procedures and regulations.
- Maintain equipment by completing preventive maintenance requirements; following manufacturer's instructions; troubleshooting malfunctions; calling for repairs.
- Maintain continuity among work shifts by documenting and communicating actions, irregularities, and continuing needs.
- Document actions by completing production and quality logs.
- Update job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading technical publications.
- Accomplish organization goals by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests; exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments.
- High School Diploma or graduation from a certified technical/training school
- 2-3 years of experience as CNC Machinist
- Basic computer skills
- Knowledge of and experience with operating CNC machinery and tooling as well as precision tools, including their design, uses, repair and maintenance
- Design techniques, tools and principals involved in the production of precision technical plans and drawings
- Metals and the quality and machinability and uses of metals, alloys and other materials
- Mechanically inclined, and understand manufacturing techniques
- Ability to prioritize, schedule and review work
- Effectively and safely operate a variety of assigned tools and equipment
- Interpret blueprints, shop drawings, sketches and work orders to others
- Maintain routine records
- Ability to move or transfer products with a hoist or overhead crane.
- Attention to detail
- Ability to work on multiple priorities with frequent interruptions
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to work independently without daily supervision
Must be able to read and understand English instructions, written and verbally.
- The work environment is in a manufacturing facility where noise level is usually moderate.
- Work is performed while standing, sitting and/or walking.
- Requires the use of hands for simple handling, grasping and fine manipulations
- Must wear PPE including, safety shoes, clean suit, dust mask or respirator, gloves, safety glasses/safety goggles, hair net.
- Requires the ability to lift, carry, push or pull medium weights, up to 50 pounds
- Requires standing for long periods of time
- Requires making repetitive motions while operating equipment.
- Requires activities involving being around moving machinery
- Must be able to work up to 12 hour shifts as well as OT
In addition to an environment that’s as innovative as our products, we offer competitive salaries and benefits. Panasonic is an Equal Opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to: race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. All qualified individuals are required to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation.
Pre-employment drug testing is required. Due to the high volume of responses, we will only be able to respond to candidates of interest. All candidates must have valid authorization to work in the United States. Thank you for your interest in Panasonic Energy of North America.