Lean Sigma Black Belt
Panasonic Energy of North America (PENA) is collaborating with Tesla Motors, Inc. in a large-scale advanced battery manufacturing facility known as the Gigafactory near Reno, Nevada which is known for its quality of life and expansive outdoor adventures. Panasonic manufactures and supplies cylindrical lithium-ion cells for the world’s leading electric vehicle manufacturer, Tesla Motors, Inc. Based on the battery demand from Tesla, the Gigafactory plans to produce cells which will double the world’s current production.
Our mission at PENA is to make the vision of affordable Electric Vehicles a reality by production of the world’s safest, highest-quality, and lowest-cost batteries. Through this effort we will create a clean energy society and our products will change society s use of and perceptions of electric power.
This position is a FANTASTIC opportunity for a motivated Lean Sigma Black Belt with a Manufacturing high volume background to help define and lead Lean Six Sigma and continuous improvement projects.
This is a newly created position, and a great opportunity for someone to facilitate change on a huge scale level.
- Reporting to the Lean Six Sigma MBB, the Black Belt will lead projects with average savings per projects of $250,000 and concurrently lead 2-4 projects of this magnitude. The majority of these projects will be very complex and will typically involve efforts across many functional areas within a Business Unit and sometimes across multiple Business Units. Projects should typically range from one to three months, full time.
- Facilitate cross-functional teams to drive breakthrough performance in people, quality, material flow, and cost
- Continuously lead production engineering/battery engineering, maintenance and operations towards improvements in quality and processes.
- Apply Lean Six Sigma tools and methodologies/DMAIC process to improve or solve manufacturing problems by reducing cost/waste or improving quality and/or capability
- Work effectively with operations and support functions to translate process improvement findings into sustained improvements and standard work
- Define process quality issues, measure current process performance, analyze root cause defects, and develop targeted process improvement opportunities with process owners/business leaders
- Works directly with Senior leaders and Master Black Belt to identify projects & set priority
- Leads cross functional teams to deploy solutions required to achieve Lean Six Sigma program level objectives
- Coaches and mentors Green Belts, Yellow Belts, White Belts and other senior members of the organization relative to process improvement projects
- Contributes to development of PENA Lean Six Sigma strategy
- Executes established method for benefit quantification. Conducts data analysis on program results to establish and mitigate risks
- Working closely with Operations and Functional Teams to identify process bottlenecks, conduct root cause analysis and implement process improvements & digital solutions across the business or organization;
- Setting, validating and auditing measurement systems to deliver business impact;
- Building Process Excellence culture in the team;
- Providing Team Leadership in the application of Lean & Six Sigma tools and Process Excellence methodology;
- Driving Standardization and Best Practices within the organization by leveraging experts across Practice, Transitions, IT and other relevant functions;
- Driving change management within Operations and customer organization;
- Supporting the MBB with driving the agreed governance
- Conducting Quality Awareness, Lean and Green Belt level Training classes within the organization;
- Coaching & Mentoring Green Belts and project teams to drive value for customers based on the roadmap agreed with them;
- Executing and tracking the annual financial goals assigned by the CI function management;
- Building strategic relationship skills experience with peers and with operating leaders to facilitate goals and objectives;
- Clarifying the roles and appoints responsibilities of each member of the team
- Challenging the team to develop as leaders
Basic Qualifications and Requirements:
- Must have 5+ years of continuous improvement experience with 2+ years as a full time Black Belt
- Demonstrated project portfolio of successful DMAICs and Kaizen events
- Must have strong technical background, including high volume manufacturing environment
- Black Belt certification is required
- Must be a US Citizen or Permanent Resident
- Willing to move to the Reno/Sparks area
- Significant company lean/Six Sigma deployment experience.
- Able to influence change without direct authority.
- Dynamic and engaging facilitation/training skills.
- Ability to simply and clearly convey and communicate complex concepts.
- Lean and Six Sigma tool high level skill.
- Demonstrated project management and leadership skills
- 6 Sigma Green Belt and/or Black Belt training teaching/experience
- Strong interpersonal, presentation, and project management skills.
- Experience coaching and mentoring.
- Training and coaching others experience.
Desired Qualifications and Requirements:
- Proven track record in operational roles in a Production/Manufacturing environment
- Ability to work effectively at all levels of the organization
- Excellent communicator: Interpersonal and presentation skills
- Competent at Excel, PowerPoint and Minitab (or other similar software)
- Bachelor’s degree and 5+ years of relevant experience or Masters degree and 3+ years of relevant experience
- Solid background in Process Development & Process Improvement
In addition to an environment that’s as innovative as our products, we offer competitive salaries and benefits. Panasonic is an Equal Opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to: race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. All qualified individuals are required to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation.
Pre-employment drug testing is required. Due to the high volume of responses, we will only be able to respond to candidates of interest. Panasonic Energy of North America will not sponsor applicants for work visas for this position. All candidates must have valid authorization to work in the U.S. Thank you for your interest in Panasonic Energy Corporation of North America.