As a key member of the project design team, our Lead Engineer applies engineering best practices to develop and document the complete design for our projects including compliance. The Lead Engineer is responsible for overseeing sustaining activities for Port-A-Pack, Parallel Racks, Distributed Protocol and Condensing Units Product lines. Primary responsibilities also include tracking, monitoring, interpreting, and analyzing new laws & regulations that impact Hussmann’s product offering. (including product regulations, safety laws, and applicable industry standards), along with the implementation of the necessary design updates. The Lead Engineer will serve as the primary point-of-contact for all Hussmann product safety and standards activities. Our Lead Engineer actively works with customers and application engineers during the quote and design phases, manufacturing, quality and service departments during manufacturing, systems verification, or field startup.
- Have broad design knowledge of refrigeration systems and components, including but not limited to CO2 (transcritical and cascade systems), glycol, open drive compressors, and electronic controls. Strong knowledge and experience in sequence of operation, I/O layouts and design, programming logic and controls (micro-processor based as well as PLC).
- Ability to draft in the latest version of AutoCAD. The minimum requirements in drafting proficiency shall include the ability to create from scratch and edit P&IDs.
- Use technical understanding of refrigeration system design, electrical and electronic component functionality. Select project mechanical & Electrical components based on the project specific design requirements and company standards.
- Maintain state of the art awareness and knowledge of latest technology in power systems, relay protections, VFDs, refrigeration electro-mechanical and electronic components, design tools, and methodologies. Implement knowledge and skills related with the electrical power distribution and control.
- Have the ability to discuss advantages and disadvantages of Hussmann products in comparison to other manufacturers.
- Have broad industry products and systems knowledge, preferably with experience in working for other refrigeration systems manufacturers.
- Communicate with electrical/piping assembly shop and wiring shop with drawings, written instructions, and verbal instructions. Work with manufacturing to improve project documentation.
- Coordinate efforts with our custom design group (NTR) and manufacturing teams in order to ensure that the assemblies match customer expectations (as built matches design intent).
- Provide feedback and solution opportunities based on historic field issues during the review of final product audits when required.
- Project management experience.
- Have broad design knowledge of electrical and electronic components and controls used on HVACR systems, including but not limited to direct expansion technology, secondary technology, advanced system and compressor diagnostics technology, and variable speed drives.
- To be responsible for regulatory filings and keeping records and other paperwork that may be required by regulatory bodies. Lead and coordinate certification activities and provide guidance on all issues regarding compliance of Hussmann products. (including DOE, ASHRAE, AHRI, EPA, NEC, ASTM, CRN, and UL standards). Monitor and track regulatory projects to ensure on-time delivery. Define alternative constructions, as needed.
- Responsible for requesting, justifying, and tracking capital expenditures related to regulatory compliance and testing.
- Evaluate technical risk before approving Engineering Changes. Develop test plans for evaluation of performance and safety. Review test data results prior to preparing/submitting the requisite reports. Assist service technicians when compliance questions develop.
- Attend regulatory related conferences, be an active committee (s) participant for the related refrigeration systems and heat transfer devices and have the ability to communicate the company position. Leverage technical and communication skills to influence the committees and standards as required by the company.
- Evaluate the impact on the business and customers for the short- and long-term regulatory changes. Effectively communicate with direct and senior management such business impact and alternatives to minimize the business risk and customers dissatisfaction. Communicate to senior management the potential business impacts resulting from new or revised regulations.
YEARS OF EXPERIENCE:
7-10 years – Engineer IV
EDUCATION:BS in Electrical or Mechanical Engineering
- Strong computer skills with Microsoft Office (Excel, Word); proficient in AutoCAD
- Problem solving skills with demonstrated ability for critical thinking on projects
- Demonstrated customer service
- Strong time management skills and ability to work under pressure in a deadline-driven environment
Nice to have: BaaN, Solid Edge, Teamcenter