The Lab Supervisor provide leadership for the Research & Development (R&D) laboratory operations group in pursuit of customer service (internal and external). Support direct reports to achieve the next level of performance. Provide support for the test lab via facilities support, capital equipment justification, supplies, etc. Ensure the work is scheduled to meet the business needs and monitor progress in the lab in order to allocate resources efficiently and provide customers with timely feedback on requested work.
Role and Responsibilities
1. Supervise and schedule Chino R&D Laboratory Technicians. Guide and support the individuals to achieve their full potential.
2. Planning / Scheduling. Develop effective means of monitoring the work coming in, the due dates, the progress, and assigning resources. Provide customers with timely feedback. Achieve schedule accountability. Develop plans and priorities and manage projects to continue technological improvement.
3. Act effectively as Group leader and promote the growth of the evaluation team that cover NPD/1st time builds, laboratory technicians. Provide advisory services for design engineers, data analysis, equipment design, manufacturing methods and equipment. Mentors and supports training for technicians daily.
4. Develop a strong customer orientation within the department. Collaborates cross-functionally to ensure priorities alignment and effective communications across functional boundaries. This includes feedback on work progress, critiques of design, explanation of operational issues with units, and manufacture/service perspectives. Provide ongoing assistance to engineers and technicians in problem definition, gathering information, evaluating facts; identify practical alternatives and selecting the best course of action for the timely completion of projects. Gives accurate feedback to engineering on projects.
5. Documentation, justification, and implementation of capital equipment for the model shop and test lab as well as outside support services. Maintain acceptable data accuracy in all areas and assure that all test methods are followed, and data processed and uploaded in a timely manner.
6. Participate in developing and maintaining, PM plans, routine chamber & rack maintenance, maintaining schedules, completes operations team evaluations/ goal setting, and attends laboratory best practices meetings.
7. Identify, secure and manage resources for departmental projects. Submits expense reports for operating supply purchases.
8. Represent department capabilities and methods when the manager is offsite.
SCOPE AND DIMENSIONS
1.Drives collaboration cross-functionally and with multiple site laboratories for effective utilization of resources to meet customer expectations
Host all pre/post-test Incident reviews and ensure owners are identified. Drive test chamber uptime and schedules. Capital justifications are written as needed for infrastructure equipment.
5.Mentor and guide technicians daily.
Drive safety, employee development and accountability.
7.Drive PM’s of equipment (Chambers, Parallel Racks, etc.) and outside support for major repairs
Drives customer readiness of the facility.
9.Drives data accuracy, completeness and timely uploads into Laboratory Test Request System
10.Promotes interaction with other Hussmann laboratory facilities and best practices
Qualifications and Education Requirements
Associates or 2 Year Technical Degree in refrigeration or closely related degree required
Minimum of 5 years of overall refrigeration experience in self-contained and remote with at least 2 years in a leadership position and at least 2 years of experience in case controls/wiring and testing techniques. Prefer experience in lean development/continuous improvement, HVAC/Refrigeration troubleshooting, cross-functional interfacing and coaching teams.