The Engineer Intern will be responsible for collecting data, performing analysis, developing countermeasures, implementing the improvement project, and ensuring the desired outcome is sustained through machine health, operator work planning and material flow.
- Work effectively with operations and support functions to translate process improvement findings into sustained improvements and standard work
- Understand and analyze top down factory SQCDP KGIs for Kaizen/Lean efforts targeting non-value-added activities
- Implement Lean practices (7-Step) to improve manufacturing SQCDP deliverables, impacting material flow, operator efficiency and machine capability.
- Drive and influence change across multiple departments by implementing factory standards
- Strong 5S skillset
- Effectively lead and manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Identify new sources of data and methods for data collection, analysis, and reporting
- Quantify the value of continuous improvement opportunities
- Effectively communicate with all levels of the organization
Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) Requirements:
- To ensure the health and safety in the workplace and for the protection of our employees, wearing PPE is a possibility and may include equipment such as a full Tyvek suit, safety shoes, gloves, safety glasses, face mask, bump cap, and a full hazmat suit that includes a respirator.
The foregoing description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills and efforts or work conditions associated with the job. It is intended to be an accurate reflection of the general nature and level of the job.
- Completion of at least two years of full-time enrollment in a Bachelor’s degree program in Industrial Engineering or related field
- Evidence of exceptional ability. Panasonic follows a culture of full-cycle engineering where members will have full responsibility and accountability for their projects from start to finish.
- Must be currently enrolled as a fulltime student at an accredited four-year college or university
- GPA of 3.2 or higher
- Demonstrated experience solving difficult hands-on engineering problems with an ability to clearly articulate technical detail and thought process
- Familiarity with basic lithium-ion battery chemistry
- Good understanding of basic manufacturing principles
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Excellent interpersonal, teamwork, and collaboration skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to write and communicate technical information clearly and concisely
- Skilled with Microsoft Office Suite (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook)
- Ability to apply principles of logical or scientific thinking to a wide range of intellectual and practical problems
- Must have working-level knowledge of the English language, including reading, writing, and speaking English
- Hands-on experience acquired through internships, jobs, research, or personal projects
- A desire to create a sustainable future through energy storage, renewable energy, and electric vehicles
- The program will be a fulltime paid summer internship working for Panasonic at the Gigafactory
- The program will be 12 weeks in length, and is planned to occur between Monday, May 23rd and Friday, August 11th. This date range is subject to change
- Must be able to attend the entirety of the internship
Physical Activities: (Percentage of time (equaling 100%) during the normal workday the employee is required to)
- Sit: 20%
- Walk: 40%
- Stand: 20%
- Lift: 20%
Tools and/or Equipment: (Required frequency is: Not required (0%), Occasional (1-33%), Frequent (34-66%, Continuous (67-100%)
- Keyboard/Computer: Continuous
- Office Equipment: Continuous
- Phone Continuous
Required Lifting and Carrying: (Required frequency is: Not required (0%), Occasional (1-33%), Frequent (34-66%, Continuous (67-100%)
- Up to 10 lbs.: Frequent
- Up to 20 lbs.: Frequent
- Up to 35 lbs.: Frequent
- Team-lift only (over 35 lbs.): Frequent
Panasonic Energy of North America (PENA) is collaborating with Tesla at a massive battery factory near Reno, Nevada which is known for its quality of life and expansive outdoor adventures. Panasonic's role at the Gigafactory is to manufacture and supply cylindrical lithium-ion cells to Tesla for their electric vehicles and energy storage systems.
Over the past few years, the Gigafactory has grown to the largest lithium-ion battery factory in the world. Together with our partner Tesla, we continue to revolutionize the lithium-ion battery space and accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable energy and transportation.
Our mission at PENA is to make the vision of affordable Electric Vehicles a reality by producing the world’s safest, high quality, and lowest cost batteries. Through this effort we will create a clean energy society and our products will change society’s use of and perceptions of electric power.
In addition to an environment that is as innovative as our products, we offer competitive salaries and benefits.
Pre-employment drug testing is required. Due to the high volume of responses, we will only be able to respond to candidates of interest. All candidates must have valid authorization to work in the U.S. without restriction.
Panasonic is an Equal Opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by law. All qualified individuals are required to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation.
Thank you for your interest in Panasonic Energy of North America.